Confused about Hispanic SAT bonus

<p>So I've read that studies have shown that Hispanics get a virtual bonus of 130 points in the old SAT. This would mean that in the new SAT Hispanics would get a point bonus of about 195 points. Is this accurate? It seems like a bit too much. I am Puerto Rican and do believe that we have often have a disadvantage in these tests, but it seems to me that this numbers might be inflated. I got a 1990 on my October score. Does this actually mean that I'd get a virtual score of 2185 due to being Hispanic? In addition, why does the study do the increase as a flat score increase , instead of a percentage increase?</p>

<p>You’re looking at it in the wrong way. It’s a statistical equivalency – not an actual bonus. Basically applicants vie against similar applicants – it’s called category admissions. Say the hockey team has 10 openings. 12 qualified guys apply. What would be the avg SAT of the 10 that are eventually admitted?</p>

<p>Let’s look at another sub-group, Internationals. there are 100 openings and 2000 kids apply. What is the avg SAT of those offered admissions?</p>

<p>Let’s say the hockey guys have 1800 avg. The Internationals have 2200 avg SAT. Does it mean the avg hockey player is given a 400 point boost ahead of the average international applicant — well not really.</p>

<p>It’s just there are more slots set aside for fewer applicants so the pool’s avg tends to be lesser.</p>

<p>Same with Hispanics. The # of hispanics applying is probably lower vs. the # of slots that could be allocated to them versus the applicant pool as a whole. Thus you get that spread or the “virtual bonus”</p>

<p>To your original question: Even if 2185 is a very good score, you could still be edged out – it all depends on how many other high scoring hispanics apply. They are your competition. Who cares what the avg SAT of the pool of eventually admitted Hispanics is? That’s irrelvant, IMHO.</p>

<p>Please go to the Resources sticky thread at the top of this forum and read the links in the section about Hispanics and College Admissions. The belief that there is any kind of across the board SAT (or any other factor) increase would assume that adcoms are naive about the diversity of the Hispanic pool of applicants, and I can assure you that this isn’t the case.</p>