Consistently Being Late for Class?

<p>For this one class I have a class right before it that is far away. After checking the bus routes, I've realized that I will probably be late for this class. This only happens 2 times a week, and I will probably get there 1-2 minutes later than the bell rings. Is this ok?</p>

<p>(I really like both of the classes, so I don't want to drop either one of them)</p>

<p>And the class I'm going to is small, like 20ish people</p>

<p>Same thing happens to me on Tuesday and Thursday, I talked to my TA and she said it was fine if I was late, so I say talk to your TA and see what he/she says. (My second class is also small 20ish people)</p>

<p>If there’s nothing you can do, there’s nothing you can do. If it’s a small class, let your professor or TA know. They won’t expect anything else of you.</p>

<p>You are never required to take the campus bus. Why not just walk fast? Try that and see how your timing works. In bad weather the ridership may be up and you may not be able to catch a bus. A 15 minute mile is a normal, not fast walking pace, you likely have less than that to walk. Good exercise as well. PS- been there, done that with the cross campus hustle between two classes.</p>

<p>Yea tried that (walking), it didn’t work. At all</p>

<p>Did you bring a bike to campus?</p>

<p>Get in better physical shape- walk, don’t take the bus, whenever you can. Walk up and down state St, the Lakeshore path… This is a good time of your life to get into good physical activity habits. One mile is not that great a distance. Get a can do attitude.</p>

<p>which two buildings? </p>

<p>just try and walk faster…sometimes thats faster than the bus if the bus gets stuck in traffic (such as on Linden when traffic’s backed up at the stop sign. I guess if it isn’t possible (sounds like it isnt) you’ll have to work something out with the professor/TA</p>

<p>Is it possible to walk from a Chadbourne class to Russel Labs in 15 minutes? Our D2 has to make that trip starting next week and thinks she will be late every time. I suggested she hangs up the texting machine and concentrate on briskly walking. She wants to try the bus which I thought would take longer than just walking.</p>

<p>Chadbourne to Russell Labs is a bit long (15 minutes is pushing it, I’d try to allot at LEAST 20-25) and you’d have to hustle to get there, but it’s better than from Sellery or Witte at least. Chadbourne has a very nice location, it’s the only thing I really miss about being in the dorms.</p>

<p>The bus can either be faster if you’re lucky or take much longer. I’d suggest looking up the routes and attempting to plan it out, but don’t count on it. </p>

<p>Also, there are certain trips that a “can-do” attitude isn’t really going to help. It’s just too far. I doubt the OP is walking slowly or that it’s a question of physical shape. Try to sit near the back of your first lecture and pack up early (I know professors hate it but I mean you gotta get to your next thing). As I said, let your professor or TA know you’ll be late…that way if you wind up not being late it’s like a bonus. You might also eventually learn shortcuts through buildings.</p>

<p>Bikes are a good thought though, Madison has excellent bike lanes. Lots of people selling them too, check Craigslist or something. I’m sure they aren’t too expensive.</p>

<p>You can find a table of times to places via walking and bus from your dorm-look under a dorm and neighborhood. From Chad to Babcock Hall and Ag Hall is listed as 15 minutes walking. The longest time is from Chad to the Capitol or Natatorium at 20 minutes. This is Res Halls info, not a mad dash speed time.</p>

<p>Those walking distances can help be a good estimate, but they aren’t always accurate. </p>

<p>For example, Kronshage to Union South is only 8 minutes, which is not true. The 12 minute walk to Engineering Hall (next door, not the four minute difference they say) is more realistic, but a few minutes of the walk is sometimes spent trying to cross University Ave.</p>

<p>Liz Waters is probably about 8 minutes, not 4 from my hall in west Kronshage. </p>

<p>Van Vleck and Van Hise are just across the street from each other, so it doesn’t take 6 minutes to get to van hise by bus and 20 to get to van vleck. It’s probably 6-15 depending on traffic.</p>

<p>Kronshage to Chemistry in 13 minutes is a mad dash speed time. It took me 17 walking sort of fast and 15 powerwalking.</p>

<p>And its not 5 minutes to walk to Lakeshore residence halls. Maybe 3 to tripp/adams at most.</p>

<p>Its better than nothing, but definitely allow more time than this until you figure out how long everything takes.</p>

<p>What I personally do is give myself a half-hour to walk from my apartment (about halfway down State) to any class. I usually have 5-10 minutes before class to find a seat. Of course this doesn’t always work for me and obviously won’t work for you, but I think it’s a good rule of thumb. Maybe give yourself 20 minutes from Chad since it’s closer. I like not having to rush. </p>

<p>However, I can get from my job in Capitol Square to Psychology or Ingraham, respectively, in 30 minutes. Dunno if that helps at all, but it’s a fair distance and I’m not usually late. For me 30 minutes is like the magic time.</p>

<p>Lol. I walk from ECB (Engineering Centers Building) to Science Hall in 15 mins. It’s a one-mile walk. Literally the two farthest buildings on-campus. Discussion ends at 4:20 in ECB and lecture begins at 4:35 in Science Hall. </p>

<p>SPEEDWALKING is quite the skill. Drink a ton of water + orange juice throughout the day and eat apples and bananas (at least that’s what I do). You’ll be surprised how much stamina you’ve got. Also listen to music that pumps you up on the walk - keeps you active and the song lengths also help you keep track of time. Take shortcuts (cut across Bascom Hill, it’s worth the climb) where you can and avoid crowded intersections (University/Charter) and main paths.</p>

<p>But when the snow sets in, it’s not going to be so easy…buses are your best chance then.</p>