Cornell RD Class of 2025

It’s a likely letter which means immediate admissions

1 Like

Congrats! Btw, you should now go tell your counselor who had no business telling you that you had no chance of getting into Cornell that she can go suck it! If I found out a counselor ever said that to one of my kids, I would have been livid. That is one of the most unprofessional things a counselor could ever say to a kid, not to mention demoralizing!!

5 Likes

Did anyone applying for computer science got one?

So I got in? I can’t believe it :slight_smile:

Congratulations to all who received that letter. What an amazing accomplishment.

2 Likes

I didn’t get dyson likely and I’m black first gen low income am I done for

No… My D didn’t get an email

No you are not done for. Not everyone gets these. I know it is really hard to wait.

1 Like

I did :slight_smile:

Did anyone from Colleges of Arts/Science (Biology) receive likely letter?

No…

seems like more people this year got likely letters, i saw lots of people on tiktok received them lol

don’t know if this counts because i’m also milstein but my major was cas bio

In defense of counselors, it’s their job to help the kids with realistic expectations. Kids with very low GPA’s compared to many other kid attracted to Ivy’s with 4+ gpa’s, 10 ap’s and multiple college courses on their transcript are hard to compete with. So low GPA 99.9% of the time get rejected. So I would have been more mad if I had a low GPA kid and a counselor not giving her sensible advice.

1 Like

yeah, College of Arts and Science (Biology & Society), close enough?

you’re definitely right — but I will say there’s a difference between being realistic and being a jerk.

3 Likes

I have a very high stat daughter. And her counselor was a jerk so it’s not just you! But I think they are told to manage expectations so getting a Ivy acceptance is a surprise and not an expectation.

1 Like

Have no problem whatsoever with a counselor being realistic and explaining the odds, etc. We had one do that to us as well in a case where it was unlikely my student would get in and she explained why. But she did it in a kind, gently way, not in an obnoxious way where she said, there’s no way in hell he would ever get in, etc. where it tore him down. Oh and btw, he too got into that school/program which was ranked #5 in the country for what he wanted. So instead of these counselors being so rude to kids, especially this year, they need to be kind and show some grace to these kids for their hard work.

They can tell a kid to be realistic and that the odds are low, but don’t ever tell a kid you have absolutely no chance when you don’t even know the kid or what they are bringing to the table, or what their essay may say or not.

5 Likes

There is an appropriate way to tell someone to manage expectations. Again, these are counselors who are grown adults, dealing with 16-18 year old kids. The way they speak to them matters and leaves a lifelong impression. An Ivy is a reach for everyone and everyone knows that. There are plenty of counselors who tell their kids they’re a lock for an Ivy because of their 4.0 GPAs and APs etc but that’s not unique. The Ivies are looking for kids that are unique in some circumstances and ones they want to take a chance on and they don’t want 5000 of the same students walking on campus. When my daughter applied and we sat through the info session at Cornell they said they did not want all Type A students walking around. Could you imagine if they did? It made perfect sense. So when colleges put together their classes, they try to be diverse in their makeup so everyone isn’t the same. My daughter is definitely not Type A and she has thrived there. Her high school prepared her well. The stress is immeasurable for some as they have only always gotten A’s and are Type A and can’t handle imperfection, while others it’s the perfect place for them because of that.

No counselor should talk to a student in the way this one did if it went down the way she is describing.

3 Likes

I agree. But you don’t know for sure that’s how it was presented because you weren’t there. And you don’t know what the teacher recommendations look like or the school records. So maybe that counselor needs another job or maybe they truly knew something that they thought would eliminate the chances.