Cornell RD Class of 2025

ok thanks

Thanks a lot for the information…

My son’s verification worksheet said “received,” and it was filled out incorrectly and we had to submit it again. I would call just in case. They walked me through it over the phone.

Anyone else receive a likely letter today? Not sure if this is lag or my email is F’d up. Just got one, looks like the date is different than today so must be an error. Congrats to everyone else I guess, weird. Non athlete/non-legacy/test-optional.

1 Like

What date does it say in the beginning of the letter if you don’t mind answering

1 Like

15th. I use a company domain email which pulls this type of stuff a lot, should probably swap if I’m actually getting a literal week delay on emails…and the letter straight up says “you will be accepted to the class bla bla”

1 Like

Congrats :smile: It’s a great achievement!!

1 Like

To people wondering about the verification sheet and having it marked “received” even though you didn’t send it:

My student got the same thing. It means the Education Department requested a form that verifies information on the FAFSA.

The reason it says “received” even though it wasn’t filled out for Cornell is because it was already required for another college that my student applied to, so it was already in IDOC for Cornell to access when they were notified by ED that your file was being audited at Cornell.

This is not information that I got from Cornell, but another college that I had to do a verification for.

Also, after we saw the verification requirement pop up in the Cornell FA “to do” list, we looked up the sheet on Cornell’s site, and it was the EXACT same form that she had filled out for the other college.

One of the main purposes of IDOC is so students don’t have to repeatedly fill out the same form for different colleges, so if one federal verification was done, the next college that gets an audit notice can just access the same worksheet and mark it received.

At least that was the case for us.

For everyone asking about legacy, Cornell is definitely a huge legacy school. They do consider it in both RD and ED (I called admissions and that is what they told me), but it is weighted far more heavily in ED. I am a legacy myself and I was accepted RD to SHA (did not apply ED to Cornell). However, do not get the false impression that because Cornell has plenty of legacies they are lax on admissions requirements for legacy applicants: this is not at all the case.

This year, kids are applying to far more colleges than ever before, and that is especially true for elite colleges. I think that in order to protect their yield and acceptance rate, colleges such as Cornell and the other ivies are going to look more favorably upon demonstrated interest than usual. This is so that they only have to admit kids who have at least a decent shot at attending.

2 Likes

Cornell advised me (3/18) the form was done when I completed the IDOC forms for CSS and to basically ignore the date.

Not sure the form you’re referring to is the same that was requested for us. (I replied to your post but meant to reply to the discussion generally.)

This is the form we had to submit in IDOC for another college a few weeks ago and then for Cornell because my student’s file was selected for review at both schools. (I’m not great with links)
Verification Worksheet - Dependent Student | Financial Aid

That form is required once the ED randomly selects a file for verification, and then the college asks for it.

Cornell: “The US Department of Education (ED) selects certain FAFSA files for a review process called verification. When this happens, our office is required to ensure that the information reported on the FAFSA is accurate. If your application has been selected, both ED and our office will provide you with instructions on how to proceed.”

Hello! And yes, we’re speaking about the same exact form.

Hi! Oh, you filled out a federal verification form with your CSS? We didn’t fill it out until a few weeks ago when another college asked for it first.

Hope your student had great success with apps. Mine just wants the whole thing to be over, and I’m inclined to agree. It’s such a long wait!

No they sent some out to Milstein Program finalists and for other specific programs as well. Only a select few students received it but those select few were both students that brought diversity(economically, culturally) and students that didn’t bring as much diversity. And I’m sure there are also students who fit the diversity group but did not receive a likely letter and will probably get admitted on Ivy day.

Yes- we did. We completed what seemed like an enormous amount of forms for CSS.

I am with you and your soon to be college student on this! The excitement/novelty of this experience has expired as far as we’re concerned. Lol. Good luck to us all!

Yes of course plenty of diverse students get in during RD. No one has ever said otherwise. Just because one gets a likely letter doesn’t mean everyone else in that category, whether it be URM, first gen, or something else is rejected.

Again, students who received likely are not the typical run of the mill applicant. That’s the point. Milstein, URM, first gen, women in engineers, etc. these are who may get one. Schools like SHA will send to anyone not just the above. There’s a distinct difference.

Yeah that’s true

My only issue with likely letters, which you sort of hit upon, is that when people hear they were sent out or someone got in early, etc. is that so many people suddenly think that means then that they’re rejected or now won’t get in. Yes, many of them won’t just by the sheer number of applications and number a college accepts, but it just makes everyone else so nervous.

In fact, I saw yesterday I think in the Northwestern group someone make a comment about receiving an email from them about Northwestern unable to send mail to a PO Box. I can’t remember if it’s to anyone or to only internationals. Of course, first though for others was “omg, I’m getting rejected”. Or, “omg, you’re in” to that person. Maybe, maybe not. But at the end of the day, everyone will know in about weeks and for the ones who have to wait longer due to waitlisting, that’s a big bummer too. At the end of the day it works out as life usually does, even though many of our kids hearts will be broken.

2 Likes

This question was probably answered, but are likely letters in the portal or physical letters?

Also, as a female engineering applicant, I am very freaked out by this.