Cornell RD Class of 2025

wait when did Brown decisions come out?

They aren’t out. They come out April 6th. It’s an older student.

maybe that person is talking about last year

Yes, not this year.

Hey guys! For years I have been obsessed with stats so I thought I would share mine, considering I got one of those likely letters a couple weeks ago.

Georgia Public School
Applied for Aid
3.9 UW
No test scores
16/530
Founder and President Of mentorship club
President Spanish Honor Society
Treasurer HOSA
Social media manager at nonprofit
Few other ECS
wrote essay about my very low funded school and how I want to reform the education disparities in the future.
recs from spanish teacher and founder of nonprofit i volunteer at
Hope this helps.
Happy to answer anything!!

2 Likes

which of Cornells schools sent you the likely?

human ecology!

1 Like

Where do students intern around Cornell?
Do they usually go to NYC?
Just want to know the internship situations over there.

1 Like

Some stay in Ithaca and do things with startups there, I know ones who have gone to California, my daughter has an internship in Israel this summer, a lot of Dyson kids go to NYC, I think she has a friend interning for Microsoft, one in Boston, really no limits. They have a big internship fair in the fall and one in the spring, but often the best thing to do is to reach out to alumni, but tbh their career center is on the weak side and they should really focus on some of that in their freshman seminars which they don’t.

1 Like

Ya. School like Harvey Mudd has an excellent career service evidenced by top ROI for many years. Kids from Harvey Mudd earn ave $112K starting salary according to their admission’s virtual meeting last fall.

That’s pretty typical in the CS field. Where you go to school doesn’t really equate to a high salary. My son didn’t go to college and he was offered well over 100k when he was 18 to go work at google. Pretty much anywhere they want they can get a job. If you’re interested in starting salaries. If you look around the Cornell pages you can find any of this info and I believe you can find the exact ranges of salaries and internships also as one of my kids was recently showing it to me. Certain engineering majors pay a lot less than others so that skews the overall data, but the CS one is helpful for where jobs are. Many go into fintech which is something my daughter is interested in and doing this summer.

Here’s some CS info Placement Report | Department of Computer Science

Here’s some info on the Engineering Class of 2018 and where they got jobs https://www.engineering.cornell.edu/sites/default/files/departments/corporate/Industry%20Partners%20pdf’s/Undergraduate%20Class%20of%202018-VD.pdf

I have no doubt that’s accurate for Harvey Mudd, BUT i would take into account job location and cost of the living for that area. I think an adjusted list of percentages would be really interesting!

Just curious - what skills did your son have that allowed him to skip college and get a job at 18?

He is/was a computer science savant. Started as a freshman in AP CS at our school, took Data Structures & Algorithms the next year and then two independent courses the each of the following years, so he was really self taught. He was supposed to go to UIUC for CS but said to heck with that and went out to CA and got a job, way more easily than his father or I had ever expected.

A lot of people think it’s all about working at a FAANG company but it isn’t. It’s a lot about the fit at the companies just like choosing a college. He had 4 offers and actually wound up going with the lowest offer. Stayed there for 3 years and now has his own startup. Thank god though my other 3 went to or are headed (I have a senior) to college!

2 Likes

people from Stevens get some crazy high salaries, but that’s just a function of proximity to NYC.
They also end up living in very high-cost region, so the money doesn’t really go far.

20% lower salary but say in Raleigh, NC would go much farther.

That’s why California’s CS programs have such a high “placement rate” in terms of $ (SV area is sooo expensive) and companies - they happen to be local for all those hiring companies …

Imagine a unicorn flying out to Ithaca to recruit … only if it’d be a very loyal Big Red alumni.

Ngl after getting rejected from 5 schools and waitlisted from 1 all worse then cornell I’m not feeling too good about decision day

3 Likes

ohh lol, same here
I can feel the pain

Thanks!! So majority kids are heading to NYC, WA or CA, more so to the West coast than East coast.

Are you asking HMC or Cornell?

Cornell sends a lion share to NYC / Boston / West Coast. But also all over …

Sorry to hear that, but don’t give up hope as it only takes one yes.

2 Likes