Coronavirus and Music Schools: What's happening?

I give up ! Was trying to post info about MPSOM’s 4 page document of “MPSOM in the time of COVID”. Maybe it’ll show up later after being vetted? Let’s see if it will let me post a couple of points…

1. For the health and safety of everyone, specific items typically available within the MPSOM will not be available during the fall semester. All MPSOM students will need to provide or purchase the following items for personal use: a. A portable music stand for individual use in all classes, lessons, and ensembles. MPSOM music stands will not be available during the fall semester. b. Headphones and/or earbuds for individual use in computer/piano labs are required. Students taking classes in the piano lab (209) or the computer lab (218) will be instructed as to the headset microphone that will be necessary to purchase. c. An adapter (1/8 to 1/4 inch) for headphones/earbuds for use in the computer/piano labs. d. A keyboard is highly recommended for HyFlex instructional delivery and/or in the event that remote learning/practicing becomes required. e. A microphone for individual use will assist faculty and students when remote learning is necessary. Microphones such as those found on the following pages will suffice.
  2. Starting the week of August 17, the music building will be open daily 7:30am – 5pm. From 6am until 7:30am, and from 5pm to 1am, it will be card access for music students, faculty, and staff.

Applied Lessons:
• Tom Haas has been working with Area Coordinators and applied teachers over the summer to
determine appropriate rooms/spaces for applied lessons based on capacity and social distancing
requirements. Space availability will be easier to manage if applied lesson times remain consistent from
week to week.
• While in-person lessons are preferred by applied teachers when rooms are available, plans such as
alternating live and virtual lessons every-other-week are possible. Individual faculty and students will
work together to determine the most appropriate situation based on factors such as learning goals,
room/space, instrument, and personal health.
• Each applied area (brass, percussion, piano, strings, voice, woodwinds) will determine how (online or
in-person) and when juries will take place. Area coordinators will be in communication with faculty.
Students can inquire with applied teachers.

Ensembles and Performances:

Frost just posted a link on FB to their Fall plan, but you need a student login to access. Any Frost people want to share the details?

So I posted the link to MPSOMs 4 page detailed plan for the music school and it never posted. Got the following message…

Hey. I’m a CC moderator. The terms of service prohibit posting any links. It is what it is; I just enforce the rules. You can give the website’s name or Google search terms, but you can’t post any links.

Sooo… even if they DID post the link, the post wouldn’t be allowed :frowning:

A few weeks ago, my son received a notification from Berklee that he would be able to register on 7/15 (in his case, just online classes taken from home), and that he would receive his schedule today. That has all been postponed, with no word yet on when it might happen.
I’m wondering if Berklee, like (from what I’ve been reading) some other schools, is rethinking its rethinking of the fall semester. As I said before, I appreciate that they seem to be taking their time to really think things through about what can or cannot be done reasonably safely. Obviously these are not decisions to be made lightly.
I’m sure that the online classes will be held no matter what, but I’m wondering what this might portend for students who were planning to return to campus for the fall.
The situation overall is starting to wear thin!

I hope that Berklee still has the kids come in person. My daughter is planning on living in the dorms this year no matter what.

There may be concerns about bringing students from areas of the country are surging. I know some of those have a peak predicted at 10/1. Massachusetts is doing well but with indoor dining and bars now allowed, who knows. I think everyone is starting to realize how this is going to go.

Then again, since Boston is doing so well, maybe there is a positive side to their deliberations.

The issue of Thanksgiving seems to be a particularly important one. Even if every single student, professor, administrator, and campus employee adheres to the guidelines absolutely perfectly (not likely, I’m afraid), people going home for the holiday and then returning would just seem to send everyone right back to the starting point. And the winter break starting just a month later?!
I’m hoping (for the students’ sakes) that that’s what they’re reconsidering. @Musicmom2two , I hope it all works out well for your daughter. I don’t blame her for wanting to get back!

My son’s school is still opening and my son will go back to live in his own apartment with his roommate in mid August. We are preparing mentally for a 14-day self-quarantine requirement at arrival in town but it still works with his school’s fall semester schedule since ensemble auditions will be all online.

We would totally understand if his school changes a plan in August to start with all online. He will still live near school to be on “stand-by” and most of his school friends seem doing the same. Mass testing policy at his school maybe shrinking than what they were thinking at beginning of planning. It seems like a test shortage at many places so it may depend on how school / community set a priority on testing.

According to my son’s sophomore friend at Berklee who is performance major (could be double major or major / minor), he hasn’t got his apartment set yet. But as I heard from another Berklee source, housing around Berklee, especially sublet is less competitive for this particular time.

@JeJeJe do you mean your son’s Berklee friend hasn’t secured an off-campus apartment yet, or is he taking about a spot in the dorms? I’ve heard the waitlist is moving, we are still holding out for a spot but not all that optimistic with many states numbers climbing.

I know there is a webinar coming up on what campus life will be like, that should be interesting.

raincat—

My son’s Berklee sophomore friend doesn’t seem like looking for a dorm. Most of my son’s Berklee friends live off campus apartment from sophomore year. Hope, Berklee dorm waitlist will move up soon and your son can secure a room. Or would you / your son consider a sublet from a Berklee student as a backup plan? It may not be too difficult to find a good match with or without a roommate(s) this particular year…That was what I heard…

I know of about 5 Berklee students who are deferring until January. One is starting her major, so I can see why she wouldn’t want to do online.

My S is gearing up for NEC in person. Every student has their own room in dorm and Revolution hotel and they removed the on campus requirement for all years. Also he has to go 2 weeks early to quarantine for 14 days - our state isn’t a hot state anymore - maybe because we stayed in yellow long after others - but that’s their overall policy. Good news is he can actually quarantine in place in his dorm room so gives him time to fully move in etc. - they’ll have food delivered by cafeteria. And they have program for these kids so they don’t feel too isolated. I figure it’s a good time for him to a) complete his Music Theory tests which are due in those weeks, b) figure out his electric strip/outlet needs (lol), c) work on his own stuff before school starts, d) get amazon shipments for anything he forgot or didn’t know he’d need :slight_smile:

NEC is offering this at $100/day which I think is cheap compared to anything else even airbnb which was our other option.

I imagine the changing on/off campus policies are not helping the competition for off campus apartments.

S is staying on campus for Thanksgiving - as said above - doesn’t make sense since he’d have to redo 14 day quarantine plus risk of public travel, etc. NEC is offering room and board cost free over Thanksgiving, and free room with extra for a meal plan over winter break. So they can stay then too (I’m thinking international kids likely). That way he can go back early if they still have 14 day quarantine after winter break and not have to miss any classes, ensembles, etc when school starts again in January.

The amount of information they’ve provided is amazing, and overwhelming. As if sending your kid to college for the first time wasn’t nerve-wracking enough! LOL

Have to say that the online version of Curtis YASP seems to be working out well. Disappointing not to have the in person interaction and excitement, etc. but they have a nice blend of synchronous and asynchronous and even a full program chorus! S has sessions to attend every day - sometimes for most of the day, plus they have some activities just for fun. S said the Title IX zoom had 232 people and got pretty intense :slight_smile:

Regardless, his level of engagement is not nearly as complete as when he is on site - so makes me very happy he can start school on site this fall. Forgot to add that NEC is doing virtual roommates so kids can connect with someone one-on-one before they get there. Cool idea.

This sounds great - love the idea of virtual roommates.

SUNY Purchase - only 25% back on campus basically only conservatories - voice, music, dance, some art, some film. Housing has set aside 1 dorm for quarantine if needed. 1 person per bedroom but 2 people share a bathroom so trying not to have people live totally alone. About 60% dorms are really apartments. For Opera students about 1/2 classes are face to face of some sort and rest are online. For singing they got these big plexiglass door essentially that the students will sing behind. If you are coming from a hot spot state you have to move back 2 weeks early and quarantine. School will provide 3 meals delivered and take garbage away. Masks when you are in contact with anyone. No large groups. My D is ready to go back and have classes but a little hesitant to be in groups again (since March when we got her). NY in better shape than where we live now. Everyone moves out at Thanksgiving. No word on Spring semester yet.

Hi all. Been a while since I’ve been on CC but I checked in and found this thread. Thought I would chime in since my D is going to be a junior at The Hartt School of Music at the University of Hartford. She is a VP major and very excited about going back to campus in the fall. So she’s been getting extensive emails weekly from both the Dean of the University and the Dean of Hartt. So here’s what she know so far.

Classes begin on August 26th. They usually start after Labor Day. There will be sign up time slots for moving onto campus between August 15th and August 24th in order to maintain social distancing. All residential students will be be required to provide documentation of a negative Covid-19 test within 14 days of arriving on campus. Daily health screenings will be required by each student prior to going to classes via a LiveSafe app. Face masks will be required obviously when in any public spaces. Academic facilities including dining halls, libraries, performance spaces and other areas are being reconfigured to allow for social distancing of at least 6 feet. Consistent and intense cleaning of all public spaces, adding additional hand sanitizing stations and updating ventilation systems with appropriate filters.

Classes will be either in person, hybrid, remote or online. Looking at my D’s schedule, all her classes that meet twice a week are doing one hybrid and one in person. She just got an email from her German teacher stating that class is going from 3 times to 2 times per week. One in person, one hybrid. They are also giving students the option to do all classes remote if they are not comfortable going to in person classes or if the international students may have some travel difficulties getting back to the states. All her music classes, applied voice, coaching, vocal seminar and choir are still listed as taking place in person. So far.

There will be class on Labor Day. On November 24th on campus classes will end and students will leave campus for Thanksgiving break. They will then finish their fall semester remote and not return to campus until after winter break. That is mid January for Uhart. This will reduce the risk of bringing back the virus to campus during flu season as well as allowing time for a thorough cleaning of the whole campus. It will also limit the possibility of students, faculty and staff returning to campus after potentially being exposed during Thanksgiving break. The students will also get a reduced cost of room and dining facility charges because of these changes.

Hartt is in the process of developing a fall performance programming that will also allow students to be more focused on required courses, while preparing for a more robust intensive performance experiences during the spring semester. That was quoted from the email lol. Can’t wait to see how they’re going to do that! The Dean of Hartt has been sending emails weekly to the students with updates. They’ve sent charts with capacity changes in all the rooms. This past week they sent info from the Director of Instrumental Studies and Chair of Large Ensembles who has been doing a lot of research on the amount of aerosols which are produced when we talk, breath, sing, shout or play a wind or brass instrument. A lot of detail was given about the international groups and other universities who have all worked together in receiving data about aerosols. How they are produced, how far they travel, and what mitigation measures can be employed by performing wind, brass, vocalists, actors, dancers and athletes. So weird music teachers studying science lol.

In the Instrument world, string player, pianists, harpists, percussionists and guitarists will be sitting at 6 foot intervals and wearing masks. They will be in straight rows vs. the usual curved arcs. They will be playing together though. Wind and brass players will be six feet away (trombones may be 8 feet) and will likely have bell covers and tailored masks that will still allow students to play. Rehearsals will be shorter and maybe even rehearsing outside during the first few months. Maybe a lot of your kids’ music schools are doing something similar?

Next week will be more information about the other areas of the school. Can’t wait to hear about what they will do with all the vocalists, opera and musical theatre students. This will be a little more challenging I assume.

Sorry this is so long. I tried to condense it as much as possible lol. We have been getting a ton of information the last few weeks. Still a lot of questions like what about commuting students that travel on and off campus every day? I guess maybe the daily wellness check will be required. Also if my D comes home for the weekend, will she need to quarantine when she goes back?

Anyway, hope you all are staying safe healthy during this crazy time. I feel for the students who are dealing with this difficult time and not getting the full college experience. Even though my D is going back, she knows it is going to be very different. And all of this can change on the drop of a dime as well.

Thank you for sharing that detail @adoptdontshop … helps provide a picture of what things could look like.

There’s a good article in today’s LA Times about arts kids heading off to college:
https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/story/2020-07-20/covid-art-school-students-university-online-classes-fall-2020

My personal view is that that article is a little negative. I think we adults need to convey to our young people that this is not forever, and everyone is in it together. That there are some interesting work arounds happening that may even bode well for new resources in the future.

Most of all, much of what can be done online has improved since schools went online quickly on an online basis. I think that faculty needed to get up to speed on using Zoom, Canvas, Blackboard, whatever. There are plenty of ways to interact with peers and professors too.

It is tough to keep up dance without group classes in a proper space. Dancers really need class. Ditto music theater. Artists may very well need technological equipment not available in any other way than on campus. (But I just took an art class online and it wasn’t that different from in-person>)

Music performance artists can do lessons virtually and can practice without others or campus resources, so they are a little better off in some ways. Vocal performers, wind and brass, will all have a tough time.

People have been posting some of the solutions for music here, and I find them hopeful if not ideal.

We are living in a dystopian world but I truly believe it is not forever. Or at least I want to give my kids that perspective.

My D and I both thought it was more hopeful and optimistic. She enjoyed reading about others’ challenges. It focuses on adaptability and innovation to keep kids creating, and features the different choices students are making right now. Some like my D are opting to go ahead with their education, and others, (like a close friend of our family), have decide to do a gap year. Whatever the choice, the passion for their art still comes through. We’re all going through some adaptation right now and it’s good for kids to be willing to practice their art form and grow in any way possible. I find it very hopeful and hope others do too.

It is a good article to me. Thank to coloraturagirl for sharing. At the end of this article, a dance student who will attend SUNY Purchase said:

“I don’t know what my future is going to be like, but I know I just have to keep on going with my creativity and my art through these uncertain times,”

This is what my son thinks. And probably, almost all of his performing art friends think, too. We all got discouraged by the virus. But my son’s commitment to his art / music hasn’t been changed at all even though the virus is limiting a lot of his activities. He is finding more time for something other than performance (his case is music production / composition kind). There are always big or small challenges in everyone’s life. I admit it is my son’s first “true” challenge but certainly not going to be the last in his life, especially as a musician.