Coronavirus and Music Schools: What's happening?

“The only sad part is that their great emeritus professor (Alan Abel) passed away from COVID earlier this spring.”

Sad indeed. So much loss.

Hi all. Interesting to read the different plans the schools have for returning in the Fall. So here’s what’s going on at our end of things. This was in response to a group of parents I’m in and one of them asked if anybody’s kid was considering deferring this year.

Bennie has 18 credits scheduled (the faculty and advisors are working with him to make sure he can get both degrees in 4 years ! - He was in several zoom meetings last week! They’ve all been awesome !) All but 4 of his credits are music classes which are all in person, small classes, in the access required only Music school - No entry unless you’re a music major/minor. Generally, these classes would be small anyway. There are a total of 51 new music students, including transfer students, across all disciplines, Only his core classes ( research skills and creative writing) are offered as a hybrid model. He’ll decide which way to go . They’re taking “living learning centers “ to a new level . ALL incoming freshman music majors are being housed in the same dorm, have their classes together and even sounds like cafeteria time together - sounds more like a boarding school than college but we’ll take it. (not sure what the rest of the student population is doing. Our info has been coming directly from the Music School. Nothing yes from Residence Life). I think their thought process is to keep a community ( the music majors ) living and learning together as a “family”, thus keeping things contained . Will see how that works with teenagers and compliance. Deferring is NOT an option as he would have to go through the audition process again next year to get admittance back into the music school . He can defer acceptance into the university but not the music school ? Audition process was brutal and I don’t blame him for not wanting to go through that again next year, though it makes sense that they’d need to do it to make sure the students have kept up with their skills. So as it stands, seems like a decent first year college experience sans many of the activities which he probably wouldn’t have participated in anyway ? . ALL ensembles , some broken down into smaller ensembles , are still a go as is studio time . That makes him AND this Momma happy. Of course it’s a fluid situation so we’ll see what actually happens . If ALL classes were online , I would definitely encourage him to defer.

THEN, speaking of fluid situations, today he got this letter, which was the first time we heard of a “what if” plan. So, there is that!!

Dear Incoming Students,

Welcome to the Duquesne School of Music! I am the coordinator for the group piano program at Duquesne. Here is what you will need for the upcoming semester in group piano. All students in the group piano classes will need a semester subscription to www.enovativepiano.com. This is our online workbook that has all of the assignments and scores you will use for the class. The subscription may be purchased directly from the website or you may purchase a code from the bookstore. I recommend purchasing this ahead of time and reviewing the preparatory units A-E, especially if you have not yet had any keyboard experience. All students will need to bring their own headphones to class, and a specific type of headphones will be recommended by our tech department so hopefully you will not need an adapter to connect to the keyboards. It is highly recommended that students purchase their own 88-key weighted keyboard for practice outside of the School of Music should we need to transition to completely remote learning. It is also recommended that you bring your own device (laptop/tablet recommended) to class to read scores from enovative piano to avoid using the lab computers.

For those of you who have had some significant keyboard experience and would like to consider placing out of a semester of group piano, the attached document outlines the requirements for testing out of each semester of group piano. I will be sending out an online sign up for placement exams which will happen during orientation week. If you have any questions about the attached requirements, please feel free to contact me. Keep in mind that only Group Piano I and III are offered in the fall semester, and Group Piano II and IV are offered in the sprin

They haven’t confirmed the housing situation as yet and not sure if he’s going to be WITH his roommate or not, but if they need to execute “Plan B” , t’would certainly be interesting having two keyboards in the little dorm room AND managing practice time if they have roommates. From the complaints on the parents board from the juniors and seniors, it looks like they’ve been forced to find apartments to accommodate social distancing for the Freshman and Sophomore. From that regard, it sounds like they’re doing single rooms. We shall see !! On the home front, he’s still taking lessons (still via Zoom cause UD hasn’t opened their offices or given professors access) , working full-time and starting to pack. Even with things opening up, his Graduation was still virtual - we had much fun with that (how many times did we rewind them calling his name and walking across the stage and making much noise?? I lost count… it was fun!! ) after a surprise graduation parade I organized for him. Best . Thing. Ever. 30 decorated cars with posters in the neighborhood parade… friends he hadn’t seen in a while, teachers, administrators… Biggest and Best surprise of his life. Lots of tears and laughter. Mommy Win for sure!! Watched the virtual ceremony with family (about 30 or so…) while having a barbecue. After it all, he said… You know what Mom? “I preferred this whole virtual scenario MUCH better than an actual boring graduation.” AND he got his wish of wanting to play at his own graduation: The recording of Pomp and Circumstance which was played during the virtual graduation was from last year’s graduation when he was in the pit with his ContraBass. It was the icing on the cake to a wonderful celebration!!

Hi @BenniesMom1 ! I remember you from the MT threads. S20 is going into acting and my D just finished first year of MM. What two majors did your S decide on?

D is having a difficult time making a fall decision because she a MM in performance is about performing… which includes large ensembles. The online version of her ensemble classes last spring did not meet her where she is at in her musical development. Probably leaning towards taking a couple classes online and delaying graduation.

@Prairie He’s double majoring in Music Performance (Clarinet Concentration) and Music Technolgy (Sound Recording Technology) in hopes of doing something with video game music/orchestration etc . Video games have been using LIVE music lately so wants to play AND work in the game design space to make the music fit the games. And all you asked was what are his majors… HA.

Music does not lend itself well to online learning… so I’m with your daughter on this one. I think delaying at this point in her development is a SMART choice.

This too shall pass…

@coloraturagirl the Harvard/NEC program is not for instrumentalists only :slight_smile:
The cost difference for many, between Harvard and NEC, is significant, so living in NEC dorms could be a problem. Harvard would have to pay NEC. And presumably some 4th years would not be in the area at all without housing.

Another wrench for music students is the announcement this week that international students studying online only, would have to take those classes in their home countries. For those still here, that means returning to their home countries.

This is horrible and I hope it is reversed. Most conservatories are still having some classes and ensembles in person, so those students may be safe. Perhaps participation at NEC will save Harvard double degree students in some way!

@compmom that’s so odd because my D and I both remember trying to decide which program to apply to, and we both recall the words “talented instrumentalists” on the website. The current students are all instrumentalists, so we definitely read something along those lines. Either way, we are happy with her decision :slight_smile:
http://music.fas.harvard.edu/prospectiveugrad.shtml#

I have to think the administrators and advisors are constantly on call and putting out fires. I’ve sent only one email so far and felt guilty about that! My D plans to come home before Thanksgiving and we weren’t sure if her Tufts classes would require her presence there in December (we sure hope not). I get the impression that our schools will work with us as she travels across the country. I hope everyone has the same experience. It sure is stressful and doesn’t seem to abate.

Vocal performers and composers are in the double degree program. I have had a lot of personal contact with students in the program. Glad she is happy.

I just watched my son’s conservatory’s entire Town Hall Meeting for returning students. It sounds better than what we imagined a few weeks ago.

In-person classes are for performance major students mostly but composition, music engineering kind major students will have an access to a campus facility even they live off-campus housing by their own and taking all classes online remotely. Required keyboard classes will be remote so students will need have their own keyboard. All ensembles will be small, sounds like less than 10. They have invested significantly particularly for voice program in-person classes with low-latency technology. Sounds like there will be mini opera, too. And conductors. Wind / brass ensemble rehearsals will be held in larger rooms, have shorter time for extra air-exchange requirements of 1 hour every time. This would apply to practice rooms which will be reserved online. Each non-wind/brass practice room will be empty for 30-min between reservations for air exchange and each wind/brass practice room will be empty for a 60-min. Some practice rooms are designated by instruments (as usual). All practice room hours are 8AM to 2AM in fall semester.

For non-performance major students, large ensemble requirement is waived in fall semester. Performance major students will still have some kinds of large ensemble programs. A physical 100-piece orchestra just won’t happen but they sound like adopting those video/recording technologies typically seen in YouTube performances at higher level of technology. And there will be online ensemble placement auditions before fall semester starts. Recitals / performance / concerts will happen without physical audiences but with more streaming opportunities.

Instead of off-campus hotel dorm, his school is looking into an apartment building(s) nearby and will furnish rooms for students (mostly sophomore students). Some units come with kitchen but kitchen essentials aren’t included in school’s furnishing list to provide. All single bedroom with some sharing space in the unit but those apartment-dorm room students will have same requirements as on-campus dorm students (for mostly freshmen). They are all required to purchased a meal plan which is mostly grab-to-go boxed meals but they do provide some local shuttles even within walking distances. The worst case the campus needs to be closed like spring semester, apartment-dorm students need to leave same as on-campus dorm students.

Testing policy has not officially been announced yet but all students will be tested at arrival / move-in with 24-hour quarantine until negative result (but I am not sure yet when those more than half of off-campus non-dorm students will be tested exactly). After initial testing, it sounds like a school is going to give random tastings weekly or bi-weekly addition to students who have a symptom(s). They will seriously trace and isolate. The policy will be released soon.

His school gives all students all remote / online semester option and a full semester credit if students choose or not be able to attend due to health risks or travel / visa issues. (Visa is a REAL problem!) But school is anticipating about 90% of students enroll in-person or full online in fall by current gap year / leave-of-absence requests. We shall see an enrollment update in a few weeks.

A tuition will be increased as planned and announced with no tuition discount for online classes. But school will work on extra financial aids case by case due to less federal work-study options. Billing will be a month late than usual year and due is also a month late for Fall 2020.

Hi, so composition classes will be 100% remote?

Composition major sounds like “almost 100%” remote but students will have access to a campus to work on projects using a facility. It may depend on professors. Would this make sense to composition major? My son is performance major so I don’t have knowledge of compositions.

@JeJeJe Thank you for the update! My son’s Conservatory will be holding 3 town hall meetings next week and I definitely plan to listen in on at least one of them.

Possibly, although in normal times composition students would work with performers. Is this USC?

composermom— I sent you PM.

I’m just wondering (maybe I missed it)–what happens if a student tests positive at some point during the semester, or upon arrival? Will they quarantine in whatever housing they’ve been assigned to (and receive medical treatment if necessary), or will they be sent home?

AsMother—-

My son’s school will isolate those test-positive students within a campus with necessary care / health monitor if those students live in on-campus / off-campus apartment-dorm provided by a school. If off-campus dorm students become test positive, those students will be required to be self-isolate in their own housing for certain time and take whatever online classes from there if it’s possible. His school unlikely won’t send “positive” students back to home unless parents want their child to be back home.

Sorry for the typo…

His school likely won’t send “positive” students back to home unless parents want their child to be back home. But no public transpositions should be used.

It sounds like bathrooms would be shared so wondering how that is handled with positive students. Perhaps they will have a bathroom dedicated to positive cases (though for small schools doubt that is possible). I find it intriguing that college age students are getting so many tests when the elderly in facilities are not being tested at all. But I am glad the testing is so far available because that is a big part of keeping young people safe- and teachers.

Composition students need to work with musicians while writing pieces: it is a big part of learning the craft. I suppose this could be remote, They need to have facility space for performance (presumably without audience). They need to be present at some rehearsals. Lessons can be remote, as can seminars and forums with peers.

Some composers who are working with electronics may need a studio but I think this work can be postponed for many. If they want to do prepared piano, they would also have to be in person.

The biggest worry for composers, I think, is working with vocalists or wind/brass musicians. And composers may be writing more for solos, duets or string quartets. In other words, for the safer instruments and in smaller numbers.

If schools find a way for larger ensembles and orchestra to play online via YouTube or whatever, great, that will mean composers can write for whomever they wish.

I guess we’ll see!

FSU School of Music has committed to still having student recitals and ensemble practices and performances. Recitals will be in large spaces and limited to necessary faculty and 5 guests. Ensembles will also practice in larger spaces. Their performances will be closed to the public and can be watch online. No opera production this fall, most likely, but still having auditions and may do some opera scenes. Practice rooms will be open. S22’s voice lessons, opera workshop and ensembles are in person. Other classes such as language are remote learning.

@vistajay Is FSU still planning on large ensembles, like orchestra, band and choir?

@prarie , yes they are. Specifics being worked out but they’ve mentioned spacing, practicing in large venues or outside. and rotating certain instruments on a daily basis.