COVID vaccine exemptions? UCs related questions

Berkeley’s information is similar and was updated 12/22.

2 Likes

Yes, they need to submit proof of flu vaccination every year. The deadline for flu vaccination is later in the year so it doesn’t prevent students from registering for fall courses.

then why not mandate the flu vaccine? If it’s just about not spreading the flu, or in your case, covid, in the student population? Why are they pushing covid vax in a population (young, healthy students) that will not get very sick or be hospitalized IF they get it? I had both and the flu was much worse.

1 Like

UCs do mandate the flu vaccine. One can apply for exemption just like the COVID vaccine.

The flu vaccine is just an opt out where the COVID vaccine requires a lengthy and complicated exemption request process.

You do realize that there are students with asthma, diabetes, heart issues…So odd to assume that everyone on campus is the picture of health when this is very far from the case. Many young people, unfortunately, have chronic illnesses, sometimes visible, sometimes invisible, but for them covid can be devastating.

And even if all students were young and healthy as you claim (which they certainly are not), they still do not exist in a vacuum. They share their campuses with faculty members who may be elderly, or faculty members who may not want to catch things to bring back to their families, or staff members who may be of different ages and different health statuses…

3 Likes

I know your son committed to Berkeley. Did you get the exemption completed?

We did get an exemption request completed and submitted. It seems to have been approved as the requirement shows as fulfilled in his portal. We didn’t want to wait around and risk having this impact his class registration.

2 Likes

Would be interesting if UC administration notices the latest FDA / CDC recommendation for age 6+ that a single dose of the most recent COVID-19 booster vaccine (i.e. the bivalent ancestral / Omicron BA.5 one) is enough to be “up to date”, regardless of prior vaccination history, and changes its requirement accordingly.

Since vaccine-associated myocarditis is mainly an issue with the second primary dose of the Moderna vaccine, which had 100μg of mRNA, but the new recommendation is for one dose, and the Moderna boosters have 50μg of mRNA while Pfizer doses have always had 30μg of mRNA, the risk of myocarditis should be much lower with the new recommendation than for the old recommendation of two primary series doses plus one booster, for anyone who was previously unvaccinated but wants to upgrade from infection-only to hybrid immunity.

What kind of exemption?

If you’d like to message me I’d be happy to discuss.

Welcome! If that is your real name, I suggest you change it.

https://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/news/2023/05/uc-updating-covid-19-vaccination-policy-to-systemwide-opt-out-program.html

UC just posted this today buried in their UC Net Home Page… good thing I used to work there and know where to look for up to date info :grinning:

This is excellent and maybe explains why our exemption was approved so easily.