Colleges requiring (or not) Covid vaccine for fall 2021 megathread

MODERATOR NOTE: THIS THREAD IS INFORMATIONAL ONLY. ANYONE MAY EDIT THIS AND ADD A COLLEGE TO THE LIST IN THIS POST. SCROLL TO BOTTOM OF PAGE, RIGHT CORNER AND CLICK EDIT BUTTON.
Can we nicely have this thread - without disses on either side? I’m very curious to know which schools decide to do this and a thread is easier to follow than trying to look at a ton of news stories.

So far I know we’ve reported:

Will require COVID-19 vaccination for Fall 2021 term:

Intend to require COVID-19 vaccination when vaccines have full FDA approval (note: FDA granted full approval to Pfizer - BioNTech vaccine on August 23, 2021):

• (place holder for any colleges that expressed such intent, but have not stated implementation of requirement)

Will not require COVID-19 vaccination for Fall 2021 term:

Other statements:

• Brigham Young University (Provo, Utah) “As part of BYU’s efforts to ensure a safe return to campus, all students and employees are being asked to self-report their COVID-19 vaccine status. Data about the BYU community vaccination rates will help inform policy decisions for the upcoming semester, such as mask requirements.”
  • California community colleges (local community college districts may choose whether to require vaccination): https://www.cccco.edu/-/media/CCCCO-Website/Files/General-Counsel/2021-01-advisory-mandated-covid-19-vaccinations-a11y.pdf
  • Hope College – Vaccines strongly encouraged but not required. Campus Health Update dated 8/4/2021 says students who do not submit proof of vaccination must submit a “Student Acknowledgement of COVID-19 Non-Vaccination” form. This form will ask you to identify why you are not receiving the vaccine (religious, medical, or personal reasons) and will inform you of additional measures that the college is requiring of those who are not vaccinated. These measures will be put in place to protect the community, and they include, but are not limited to, pre- and post-arrival testing, surveillance testing, quarantine and isolation process, possible travel limitations, and personal financial responsibility. COVID-19 Guidelines & Protocols | Health Center
7 Likes

Cornell
Fort Lewis College (CO)
St. Edward’s (TX)
Roger Williams

3 Likes

Notre Dame

My guess is it will be the majority of schools sometime before the fall. Especially after the vaccines get full FDA approval over the summer.

1 Like

Hmm, looking at it I think it will be easier to keep a running list, and I alphabetized it. People can choose to quote and add or copy and paste - or just add a new school in a separate post if you prefer and someone can put it into the list afterward.

Brown
Cornell
Fort Lewis (CO)
Northeastern
Notre Dame
Nova Southeastern
Roger Williams
Rutgers
St Edwards (TX)

5 Likes

W&M says not now, maybe later:

Vaccine Requirements
Because the current COVID-19 vaccines are being distributed under an Emergency Use Authorization from the FDA, they are not currently required of any faculty, staff or students. However, in the future, when the vaccines are approved beyond emergency use, they may be included among the other vaccinations the Commonwealth requires of students who attend W&M or for employees. W&M will continue working with state officials on those determinations as more information becomes available.

1 Like
1 Like

Brown
Cornell
Fort Lewis (CO)
Northeastern
Notre Dame
Nova Southeastern
Roger Williams
Rutgers
St Edwards (TX)
Boston University
Syracuse University

1 Like

Under consideration at University of California campuses: https://www.dailycal.org/2021/04/07/students-administration-discuss-possibility-of-covid-19-vaccination-mandate/

2 Likes

Purdue has hinted at it without stating it. Especially as everyone should be able to receive the vaccine on campus before the semester ends.

Purdue strongly encourages all Boilermakers to receive the vaccine as soon as they are eligible. Similar to flu shots in the fall, the University is asking students and employees to document whether they have received the vaccine and may ask them to document if they are declining to do so for medical or religious reasons. If so, details will be shared with the campus community as soon as they are available.

I wouldn’t be surprised by some type of “you aren’t required to have the vaccine, but will be subject to frequent testing for your entire career on campus if you aren’t…”

A suggestion… maybe @CC_Mike could create an editable spreadsheet for anyone to update, similar to the decision dates? Rather than continuing to quote or copy/paste in each post.

1 Like

FYI, Nova Southeastern is reviewing their decision based on the FL governor’s executive order.

https://www.nova.edu/coronavirus/information/archive-updates.html

That’s a great idea! On CC there’s a function to make a post a “wiki” - which means that it can be a collaborative post that anyone can edit. I’ve made the first post in this thread a wiki so the list can be updated. I made the first edit with the latest list of schools.

To edit the list, go to @Creekland’s first post in the thread and click the Edit button where you would normally see the Reply button. Screenshot:
Screen Shot 2021-04-09 at 5.03.24 PM

3 Likes

Should the first post have three sections?

1. Will require COVID-19 vaccination.
  2. Likely to require COVID-19 vaccination, based on public announcements.
  3. Will not require COVID-19 vaccination.

Ooo, fancy. :wink:
Good suggestion!

I edited out the non-related info I put on when I first created the thread. I think the changes are a great idea personally - thanks!

Good call - feel free to edit @ucbalumnus !

And at least one college is doing just that…

William and Mary will not require vaccination as long as the vaccines are under emergency use authorization, but those who have been vaccinated are exempt from some testing and quarantine requirements.
https://www.wm.edu/sites/pathforward/health/vaccinations/index.php

1 Like

NPR will be having a program about this topic on Monday!

2 Likes