Curious: So-Called "Prestigious" Schools Your S/D Turned Down for Bama

<p>The title says it all … I’m just really curious!</p>

<p>Considering all the generous merit aid for top academics, I’m betting a lot of kids chose Bama over what others might call “more prestigious” schools. Mind listing?</p>

<p>Who needs prestige? Bama will make you feel like you got accepted into Harvard! That’s what counts, doesn’t it? Feeling like THEY want YOU, not that YOU should feel privileged to attend THEM!</p>

<p>^I’m totally with you. We are not into prestige at my house, either.</p>

<p>^Are you offended by the question, Montegut? Or are you being light-hearted? Hard to tell without the accompanything facial expressions! :)</p>

<p>There is a thread from a few months ago addressing the same query. I hope to post this link correctly: </p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/920137-schools-did-you-turn-down-bama.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/920137-schools-did-you-turn-down-bama.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>If the link is unsuccesful, try looking for (or around) page 29 and look for a similar title on that page.</p>

<p>Oh, no, I’m not offended, simplelife. I was being light hearted, and I don’t know how to make the smiley faces. </p>

<p>I’m sure I have a post in the thread that sophocles referenced, if you want to look up my son’s stats, acceptances.</p>

<p>All I know is that the way Bama treated him during the admissions process was worth more than any acceptance from any “prestigious” school or any amount of scholarship money he was offered.</p>

<p>He has friends who are both regular kids and geniuses at Bama, and they really could care less what the other scored on their ACT. They’re all freshmen and are all adapting to college life on their own, rich or poor, smart or average, instate or OOS. </p>

<p>I recently saw The Social Network, and I just loved how the Harvard president treated the students in his office. Having gone through five years with prestige minded kids at my son’s high school, it was refreshing to see someone put these prima donnas in their place.</p>

<p>I also posted on the thread that is mentioned above. I agree wholeheartedly with Montegut. UA will make you feel wanted and welcome.</p>

<p>Montegut: Your son is lucky that he found some friends who do not put a priority on scores, OOS or in state and rich or poor. Unfortunately, there are plenty of students who do at Alabama. That’s not meant to scare any potential student off. It’s just a fact of life. That thinking exists at any school.</p>

<p>^Glad you weren’t offended, Montegut! To make the smilies, a plain ol’ yellow one, you just type a colon followed immediately by the right-side parenthesi :slight_smile: and when you post your reply, it will change into a smiley! :)</p>

<p>^Thanks for your honest take on this, momreads. It sounds like Montegut’s son has been fortunate to surround himself with people who are comfortable in their skin and don’t feel the need to compete. I hope that for my son, as well. He’s not very competitive – with others anyway. But he always does his best and cares about his performance.</p>

<p>Anyways, momreads, I always appreciate it when somebody tells it like it is, from their perspective. It helps all of us CCer’s get the full picture, which is why we’re here on CC in the first place! </p>

<p>I did not know there was a prior thread about this same topic, sophocles. Thanks for the link! I’ll check it out! :)</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I’m with you, Montegut. My son also attended a high school amply populated with prestige-obsessed kids, some of whom needed to be put in their place, as was so deliciously shown in the scene from The Social Network in which the Harvard president was dismissive of the Winklevoss twins. </p>

<p>That said (and not to hijack this thread), the movie mixed fact with fiction. I had the pleasure of interviewing one of the Winklevoss twins (Cameron) at the 2009 U.S. Rowing Championships and found him to be anything but a prima donna. If you’d like to see and hear how he really looks and sounds, go to: [Video</a> | US Rowing](<a href=“USRowing - Official Athletics Website”>USRowing - Official Athletics Website). Once there, click on the video entitled “2009 USRowing Championships.” Use the scrub bar to advance the video to any one of the four segments that feature audio and video of Mr. Winklevoss, which are located on the timeline at 19:50 (audio), 28:43 (audio), 31:40 (video and audio), and 34:32 (audio).</p>

<p>Now, back to the thread. Like many, I too posted on the older thread about “prestige” schools turned down by my son. Bama trumped them, a victory of substance over hype.</p>

<p>Oh, malania, not to hijack the thread, either, but I was not meaning to berate the Winklevoss twins personally. I just meant that I found it amusing that the kids felt that being Harvard students entitled them to some special treatment. </p>

<p>Simplelife, I hope your son does find some good kids to hang out with, and when he does encounter the jerks that momreads references, that he ignores them and lets whatever criticism they throw his way roll off his back. It’s a life lesson we all have to learn to survive.</p>

<p>Again, good luck on your exciting senior year and preparation for the big adventure! :slight_smile: (Ha, I did it!)</p>

<p>^^^Montegut, I knew you weren’t trying to berate them personally. I just take whatever chance I can to set the record straight since the movie presented them (especially Cameron) in such a cartoonish fashion.</p>

<p>Roll Tide! Beat LSU!!</p>

<p>^Nice smiley, Montegut! Good for you! :)</p>