D exposed to Covid - questions about family gathering

And do you see the date on the article you posted. September 2021. 2 months before Omicron was first noted. This is no longer true with the Omicron variant.

Tracking COVID-19 in California - Coronavirus COVID-19 Response indicates that unvaccinated were 3.9 times more likely to have COVID-19 cases than vaccinated in California in December 20-26, 2021.

During this period, between 66% and 88% was Omicron (the rest was Delta), according to https://covid19dashboard.regeneron.com/?tab=Variant_Graphs&subTab=Top_Variants_Over_Time_(Select_Location)&Country=United%20States&State=California&Continent=North%20America

In other words, even with Omicron, it is still much less likely to have a COVID-19 case if you are vaccinated than unvaccinated. However, vaccinated people now have a similar risk as unvaccinated people had in November of getting COVID-19, since the risk for both groups is now much greater with Omicron.

2 Likes

Do you have any studies indicating that this is the case?

Because my understanding is that the science still applies, and that what you are claiming is flat out false. While vax/booster isn’t as effective against Omicron as against Delta, it is still much more effective than no vax at all, so vaxxed people are less likely to get it and therefore less likely to pass it on. That hasn’t changed with omicron. Likewise, as compared to the vax/boosted, the unvaccinated still get sicker for longer, and are more contagious for longer. That hasn’t changed with omicron.

I just saw this:

Of course, Covid will be over by March. :pray:

2 Likes

Every day I hear of more people who are testing positive. All vaxxed and mostly boosted. They are able to spread it just as the unvaxxed are able to spread it. All mild so far, luckily. Could be because they are vaccinated or could be because the variant is milder. This is NOT a pandemic of the unvaccinated.

1 Like

OP asked about a holiday gathering. Presumably, she’s received her answer and/or the situation resolved itself. As the discussion has devolved into general COVID thoughts, please feel free to continue on the relevant thread:

Closing