D exposed to Covid - questions about family gathering

Here’s just one report about one rapid test - there are many different brands. Specificity means that if it says yes, it really is yes. Sensitivity means that if the infection is present, the test picks it up accurately. In general, the rapids are very specific, meaning that yes really is yes. As I mentioned, plenty of reports of people who wound up in the ICU, even though the first PCR test said “no”. Diagnostic accuracy of a SARS-CoV-2 rapid antigen test in real-life clinical settings - PubMed

That kid in the carpool very likely was infected, but I assume asymptomatic. But there is about a one in a thousand chance that the rapid was wrong.

1 Like

Two of six I know who had COVID-19 before vaccine was available had long term effects, although they gradually declined (e.g. one now has “only” altered sense of taste). Some of the others I do not know for sure. They were not elderly.

2 Likes

I’d like to know if long covid is more likely for certain groups of people. It’s already more common in women, but are there additional distinctions between different ages, medical conditions, etc.? And are there different kinds of long covid for different groups of people?

Until more is known, I am being very careful.

4 Likes

They each have their own, worked out ahead of time, and will test before they leave their homes. Even if they were going elsewhere, they were going to test.

Edit to add: with some family no longer going somewhere tomorrow, that leaves 3 extra tests in the pod, too. (D had 9: 3 for Eve, 3 for today here, 3 for tomorrow’s now canceled event with other side of family.)

S and GF are coming here unexpectedly, but had tests for where they were heading in any case.

Further edit: of course I’m sorry tests are no longer available. This was descriptive, not prescriptive. We probably would have canceled if we didn’t have them because of the littles who aren’t vaxxed yet.

I do think some of the screening for “long Covid” might be over inclusive. Asking if you have ANY symptom six weeks after for example.
My daughter, a nurse, knew many people who had a slight lingering cough six weeks after getting Covid. But this was very infrequent and in no way interfered with their day or was even particularly annoying.
It took “months” to resolve but was nothing to really be fearful of. The infectious disease researcher at her hospital has said the she wishes they were doing more questions like “do you have any lingering symptoms that you feel interfere with your day?” to really understand the percentages of “ long Covid”.

1 Like

We are hosting today and two of my guests aren’t coming because one has cold symptoms and they don’t know what it is and don’t have tests so they are not taking the chance. None of us had the foresight to stockpile tests before omicron came and haven’t been able to find any since. FedEx says my tests from Walmart will be delivered on Tuesday - 10 days after ordering something I was supposed to get same day and too late for our Christmas gathering.

1 Like

I definitely agree with that. But I will say that our friends in their 40s that caught delta four months ago. The one who was in the hospital on oxygen for a few days is still on oxygen, though has whittled it down to nighttime. But her spouse who was in great shape still can’t smell a lick.

We’ve all tested earlier this week and again this morning for our family get together. All negative. And no one has gone out since the first test so we are good to go. Or as good as it’s gonna get.

1 Like

I’m not following why this would cause the PCR to be negative. Everything I’ve read says if the PCR is negative the positive rapid was the false result. Here’s a NYT quoted expert. “ If you test positive on a rapid antigen test, and later test negative on a P.C.R. test, you probably don’t have Covid, said Dr. Jha. In this case, the rapid test likely was a false positive.”

3 Likes

Yup, test on arrival for the anti-mask, reluctantly vaccinated family members who wanted to come here and have never taken a rapid test before. If they test positive, they can visit with us all masked outside on the deck or near our wide open doors to the deck before heading back to their homes with take-home prime rib and more.

3 Likes

Thumbs up for doing the right thing to keep you all safe, but sorry you won’t be able to have your holiday gathering with everyone. Merry Christmas.

We all tested this morning & all negative. I’m the only one who’s had any symptoms (last week), and my PCR on the 16th (day 3 of symptoms) was negative.

Sure it’s possible that everyone is asymptomatic and testing negative, but we’re assuming all is ok. One sib and her H have cold symptoms & feel cruddy, so despite neg tests they’re staying home. We’ll miss each other, but will plan for something after they’re healthy.

8 Likes

Mom and BF exposed 5 days ago and boostered 3 weeks ago are feeling fine (82 years old)

H myself (boostered nov 4th) S (j n J aug) so far are ok . Exposed thursday pm outdoors friday am indoors for about an hour ( i was most close)
Tested today but knew not enough time yet

1 Like

I came back from Cancun on the 23rd. My brother’s family came back a day after us. My nephew started feeling sick on the 27th and my brother last saw my nephew on the 25th. I saw my brother and his wife last night. They both felt fine when I saw them. They just took a rapid test at home tonight and are negative. I am wondering if I should self quarantine because most likely they weren’t contagious last night when I saw them.
My nephew had Covid before, is boosted, and got Covid again.

Day Event
25 Brother sees nephew, who was probably contagious (two days before symptoms).
27 Nephew has symptoms (presuming he tested positive for COVID-19).
27 You see your brother.
28 Brother tests negative for COVID-19.

The time frame suggests that if your brother got COVID-19 from your nephew, he could have been contagious when you saw him (two days after he may have gotten it).

I am thinking if he was contagious, even without symptoms, then he would have been positive for the rapid test.
The rapid test is supposed to be good at detecting if one is contagious.

My understanding is that rapid antigen test isn’t sufficiently sensitive to detect the virus in people who hasn’t yet developed symptoms. They may need to be tested again the next day and the day after that. They may be less contagious though when you met them, even if they had the virus.

1 Like

They are going to do at home test for next few days. I probably will do the same. I am just wondering if I would need to stay home.

Found this handy chart on CNN

9 Likes

@oldfort this post by @BunsenBurner is what I think is accurate.

Still…do what you feel is prudent. I guess I wouldn’t visit anyone who might have the potential to get really sick…elderly and unvaccinated younger folks.

2 Likes