D21 journey

@homerdog - I just wanted to pop in to say that I think you are doing a great job helping your D find the right fit. It was a surprise to me to see how much this process has changed in the 35 years since I graduated HS and how hard it is to gather all the bits and pieces of information. I think your list looks pretty amazing for right now - and as you gather more information from new test scores and visits, I am sure that the list will just get more and more accurate. I am eager to see if Wake works out as well as I think it will - can’t wait to hear your report from the visit.

@howdidwegethere Aw thanks.

This is a great question. We have found that Naviance has seriously underestimated our DS20. It has been accurate when it comes to safeties and matches, but I’m glad we went ahead and let him apply to a couple that Naviance pretty much ruled out. He got in to both (Fordham and UMD).

@homerdog Love following this journey :slight_smile:

@CTCape I did answer that question above and, yes, it was accurate. Still waiting to hear back from the GC about any details she may have on the Naviance graphs on D’s tentative list. She’s in the same boat that S was, applying mostly to schools that don’t get a lot of apps from our high school.

Just got some neat news. D will be part of a group of kids from our school going to a leadership conference in CA this summer. Kids were chosen if they will have leadership positions next year (student body president, etc.) and her editor in chief yearbook spot got her an invite. And the school is paying for the trip too! She’s excited to meet kids from around the country and to see what she can learn.

And she just got home from poms practice and told me she was named January athlete of the month! I guess it’s rewarded for leadership and athletic ability. Proud of her. We have an extremely athletic school where multiple sports win state championships each year so this is a nice (albeit just a high school level) award.

I feel like she’s really blossoming this year. More and more, the decision to leave ballet seems likes it was a good one.

@privatebanker just wrote on another thread:

“The BC ED change info has been dripping out. 2780 or so applicants. 36 percent Ed 1 acceptance rate. 30ish for Ed 2. Roughly half the class will be filled early. 29500 total applications. So about 26000 plus for rd and a much lower acceptance rate than early. Total admissions rate is expected to be in the 18 to 20 percent level including Ed this year.”

Great. Like I just wrote on the 2021 parent’s thread, I’m tired of this ED issue. Kids who have lists full of schools with ED now seem to have to choose ED in order to get in…or at least to not face single digit acceptance rates in RD. I feel like it’s worse this year even than last year. BC adding ED. And Tulane also deferring tons of EA kids and then asking them if they want to move their app to ED2.

Colleges are businesses.

Those numbers seem very aggressive for BC. After ED they still are going to need another 1200 kids to fill the class. So figure they need to accept another 4,000. That’s about a 15% rd rate and couple that with 33% in the ED round you get to 24% admit rate. Still a tough get, but not impossible

@wisteria100

The math used.

1100 (probably more like 1000) acceptances Ed. And say 5000 versus the 4000 RD you mentioned. 29500 total applications. 20 percent acceptance rate. If it’s 4000 it’s under 17 percent and the delta in between.

My guess is waitlist will be used this year unlike the past few. Yield rd will be a guessing game for sure.

But it’s conjecture. The only thing really surprising was a larger ed1 than anticipated. And 37% increase in rd applications. That’s crazy

Here are the BC numbers so far for class of 2024:
https://www.bc.edu/bc-web/bcnews/campus-community/students/applications-for-class-of-2024.html

Total apps: 29,350

EDI and II 2,750
RD 26,600

I think RD apps went up because they took away EA. Maybe last year’s EA plus Rd apps add up to this year’s RD.

I posted this article/white paper today on the thread about the possible impact of the NACAC changes made a few months ago.

ED might become more commonplace, as schools seemingly like the idea of being able to now offer perks such as early registration, preferred housing, and whatever else the marketing team dreams up.

Quote from the white paper, based on study findings:

Here’s the rest of that post:

Interesting data today from an EAB study (an enrollment management consulting firm) regarding the NACAC rule changes and potential college responses. A few highlights:

-23% of schools are considering recruiting students (incoming freshman) already committed to another school
-35% will recruit students currently enrolled (transfers)
-31% considering raising deposit
-33% identifying aid $ for winning back withdraws/making counteroffers

Of course these changes are so new, no one yet knows where all of this will be in a few years. Some admissions/enrollment management teams haven’t even discussed potential new policies/strategies in light of these changes, but will do so this spring/summer.

The report draws on several sources, including an EAB survey of
enrollment leaders, EAB’s 2019 survey of new college freshmen, and data from
the National Student Clearinghouse.

https://www.chronicle.com/article/Poaching-Enrolled-Students-/247971/?cid=db&source=ams&sourceId=4804049

Access white paper here: https://eab.com/services/whitepaper/enrollment/enrollment-strategy-after-nacac-vote-cepp-changes/

Last year had a big spike ea. Total for all rounds was 35+k. So lower total this year and much more skewed rd. And fewer spots available because of Ed and probably a lower percentage because of guaranteed Ed yield.

@Mwfan1921 Thanks for the exacts. I was going off my recollection and rough numbers. But close enough for discussion.

If you have interest in the school as a parent. Definately sign up for an Eagle for the day program for the prospective student. My D 22 has volunteered. They spend time in a full class. Walking the grounds. Visiting the dorm and meeting other students. It’s all students.

But please show up. Lol. My d had her first not make it and didn’t cancel. She had set everything up to make it a nice visit and the right class etc. too bad.

The Heights, appropriately, covered Boston College’s drop in applications with journalistic inquisitiveness:

https://bcheights.com/2020/02/03/bc-2024-admissions/

BC is a D1 school with a lot of athletes. Almost all those recruited athletes now will be ED rather than EA.

According to the article cited by @merc81: The National Student Clearinghouse notes the transfer student market is big business as 19% of students enrolled in a four year college transfer to another four year college.

Now that substantial barriers have been removed to allow schools easier access to this market, I suspect that the 19% figure will quickly jump up to 25%.

Agreeing with previous poster on Holy Cross recc. It really ticks off a lot of boxes. All the students who have attended from our hs I’d describe just as your daughter, smart, cute, athletic, outgoing. Religious vibe is low. Huge spirit. Good size. Would be easy enough to see on your trip to Boston.

Holy Cross is a wonderful school and is as described in post #817 by @taverngirl . In my humble opinion, it’s a much nicer school than BC and is relaxed and friendly. If Fordham and Villanova are being considered, it sounds to me like a better fit for your D than those two. Don’t know about dance though.

@wisteria100 , anything to add about Holy Cross?

Re a Naviance, it’s a mixed bag at our school. It’s very helpful if a college has a lot of applicants. It’s useless if a college doesn’t, because at our school, they won’t release numbers if a school gets low numbers of applicants. It’s to protect privacy, allegedly.

For dance, BC should be better as it may be a large school / small school issue (big time sports opportunities at BC, for example) and big city Boston versus Worcester (Wooster).