D21 journey

@merc81 thanks. That ACT range seems to have gone up a lot from even last year. Yikes.

The Univ. of Richmond chart cited by @merc81 reveals that OP’s daughter’s admission is in question since her current ACT score falls in the bottom 25% of admitted applicants.

Odds will be lower if OP’s daughter does not apply ED or EA to Richmond.

So, at this point, the University of Richmond is probably best viewed as a reach school for OP’s daughter due to current ACT score.

Richmond inflates their appearance somewhat by reporting scores for admitted applicants. Based on attending students, an ACT in your daughter’s projected range (31?) would easily pass an initial review, IMO.

@twogirls I know exactly what you are saying when you talk about Richmond looking too perfect/manicured. We said it had a ‘Stepford’ quality about it. That being said, it did stay on the list and does have a lot to offer.

@merc81: " As you know, “projected” ACT scores don’t count in the admissions process. OP’s daughter has an ACT score which is in the bottom 25% of admitted applicants.

To state the obvious: A student has to be admitted before being able to attend.

Yes, on that link it looks like it shows admitted pool test score ranges.

This link has 2019/20 enrolled test scores (the admissions file, page 5): https://ifx.richmond.edu/research/fact-book.html

SAT 25/75%: 1300-1450, avg 1364
ACT 30-33, avg 31 (same as previous class)

But why are “enrolled” ACT scores relevant in a discussion regarding admission ? I do not think that there is any concern as to whether or not OP’s daughter can handle the work if admitted to UR.

Also, OP’s daughter probably has below an ACT score of 30 based upon OP’s comments in this thread.

In my view, the University of Richmond is a reach for OP’s daughter as is Davidson College. WFU is her best option due to test optional admissions.

@Publisher: I wanted to be certain that homerdog hadn’t missed that the ranges were for admitted students. The figures have relevance, as you stated, but they differ in principle from profiles available through standard sources such as U.S. News and Common Data Sets.

I am not very familiar with WFU and how they really implement their TO policy…but I am concerned they might not think highly of a TO applicant with OP’s daughter’s profile coming from a well known affluent high school…thoughts?

These schools are probably all reaches, especially if merit is desired.

My opinion is that these schools are reaches and possibly high matches. I would spend time solidifying a few likely schools that the student would be happy attending.

@Mwfan1921 : Agree with you 100%.

OP’s daughter is waiting on a new ACT score. In the interim, it might be wise to seek out some match and safety schools.

Because colleges have solid knowledge of the classes they typically enroll, and will admit students based on the characteristics of prior, established classes.

i will have to see if I can get last year’s and then this year’s stats out of our GC. As you know, naviance scattergrams show three years but having the most recent info is important. Maybe I’m naive but I think those essays and recs matter and hers will be outstanding. She’s had two teachers this year ask HER if they can write her recs and these are veteran teachers with degrees from impressive schools who know how to write recs. D’s ECs aren’t off the charts but do show leadership in almost everything she does. And her essays should be pretty good as well. I also think she can show fit very well at the schools on her list.

I’m confident she will get to a decent ACT or SAT score. It’s just going to take longer than it took S.

The ability to be full pay may also provide a significant boost.

From the 2018-2019 WFU common data set:

86% of applicants submitted test scores.

25-75% test score range:

ACT 29-33
SAT reading 650-710
SAT math 660-760

https://ir.wfu.edu/common-data-set/cds_2018-2019/

I have not read all the replies, but have you considered Loyola Chicago? It’s a great campus, and they have very generous merit aid. It is a Jesuit school, but one of the most diverse campuses we have visited. We are non-practicing Jews and the religious aspect concerned me until we visited - seems like the opportunity is there for the students who want it, but those who don’t can leave it.

Rhodes would definitely be worth a look. It didn’t have the geographic or religious diversity we wanted, but that doesn’t sound like an issue for OP. And, they value grades more than high scores for merit. We were surprised when S18, whose SAT/ACT were 1520/34, got a lower tier of merit (didn’t learn about college factual diversity map until after he was accepted), which the school said were due to his Bs (had several).

At an admissions program I once attended, the speaker talked about TO. Said TO at Bowdoin is not the same as TO at other schools and then mentioned Wake specifically. TO at Bowdoin is used to give underprivileged kids a leg up. TO at other schools is to drive up applications and to make the school’s numbers appear better

Possibly but the OP has also stated a preference for finding merit aid.

Personally, I think a visit to PA LACs would be a fruitful excursion.

WF is a much tougher admit, at least from our school. While academic performance is just about even (4.04 vs. 4.01 GPA, 32 vs. 31 ACT) the acceptance statistics are 13% at WF and 30% at Richmond.