Dance major undergrad --> Performance in company --> Nurse Practitioner

<p>Hello,
My D is committed to dance performance and is applying to dance BFA programs and some liberal arts colleges with good dance programs. Still waiting to hear about acceptances. My question - she is thinking of NP eventually, if and when she is done with dance companies. What is the best route if she graduates with (only) a BFA? What is the best route if she goes to a LAC and can double major? She's hoping there will be an accelerated program leading to a BSN, then grad school. Unrealistic? Thank you in advance.</p>

<p>Hi
that’s good that you’re planning & thinking ahead of time.
I have 2 kids applying to Nursing so I know how confusing the process is. </p>

<p>Have you gathered any info on " Accelerated BSN " ?
The " Traditional BSN " is for high school student to apply &
the " Accelerated BSN " is a " 2nd bachelor degree program " for people with a BS/BA in another discipline who like to go back to school & get a Nursing degree. </p>

<p>Your plan is not unrealistic, nothing is unrealistic.
Your D just need to have all the Nursing pre-req. classes done in college before you apply to the " Accel. BSN " program after she gets the BFA ( or any other bachelor degree ).
Visit the college’s website Nursing Program & they will have a list of " pre-req. classes " they required.</p>

<p>I don’t think a student can do a double major because the Nursing classes are quite intensive & the Nursing Program has a set curriculum starting very early on. They have to be in classes + clinical + lots of other things.</p>

<p>Some ( or many ) colleges have changed the NP to a doctoral degree. </p>

<p>Hope this helps you. Good Luck!</p>

<p>@FlowerMom - that is very helpful, thank you. The double major, by the way, referred to undergraduate with dance (e.g. dance + biology). I’ll research Accelerated BSN. Thanks so much.</p>

<p>Good for your daughter! I am an NP. The official stance currently is a Doctorate degree is “highly recommended” for entry into NP practice, with many thinking it will be required in the future.
Good luck to your daughter!</p>

<p>I would seriously consider a bio major with a dance minor. </p>

<p>In any case, yes, take a look at the pre-requisites of multiple accelerated BSN programs where she might want to apply. The goal is to be able to apply to multiple different programs. I would try to get as much of the BSN curriculum out of the way in the first 4 years as is practical, in addition to the mandatory prerequisites. For example, they may mandate 2 semesters of bio, but you could take a 3rd class that will be needed. Particularly if you will be paying per credit hour for the accelerated BSN, it would be helpful to get those classes out of the way during the first 4 years.</p>

<p>I had read some comments that financial aid is rare for accelerated BSN programs. In comparison, merit and/or need based aid is commonly available at most colleges for regular BSN programs. Also, any federal or state aid will likely be used up in the process of getting the initial bachelors degree, as well as most of the ability to take out federally subsidized undergrad loans. Therefore, that accelerated BSN program may have a very very high net out of pocket expense. Many accelerated BSN programs are at private colleges.</p>

<p>Every nursing student now says they intend to become a NP, but few will actually do it. It is not only a matter of time and expense, but also the programs are highly competitive. In many cases, family obligations will get in the way. It is hard to go without a reliable source of income, and hard to give up your own standard of living to go back to Kraft macaroni and cheese and thrift shop furniture. There are other nursing post-bachelors certification programs that may be more realistic for most people, particularly if employers will fund them while you work full time as a nurse.</p>

<p>It would also be interesting to see how many years of experience most NP programs expect a person to have as a RN before they will typically accept you into their program. </p>

<p>My daughter is at university of buffalo and doing BA in bio and BA in dance. Excellent programs in each. Might not be able to squeeze BFA in there but BA works. She was just accepted to med school starting her junior year in an early assurance program. She will finish undergrad in normal time but has med seat waiting for her. She LOVES being able to do both disciplines. Makes for a busy schedule but she wouldn’t trade it. </p>