Dartmouth College Early Decision for Fall 2023 Admission

I think at a high level just how you value community - vs other schools/students who are more lone wolf types (like at MIT, I imagine?). This value is also evidenced at Dartmouth with the Peer Recommendation - I think they are looking for how students helped their peers, not how they impressed their peers, which may be a trap some fall in.

As to where you would fit in, there is a lot on their website about various communities - I don’t think there is any one quality - they like diverse contributions to their many communities - so you can look to see how you might fit in and think about how you demonstrate it. But I believe it has to be sincerely true - their readers can suss out bs. For example, my son was an excellent math student but instead of studying alone for those individual contests, he spent time during Covid getting small teams together to compete in team math competitions - for fun. It was just what he wanted to do. So look for things where you sought out and created community naturally?

2 Likes

the peer evaluation speaks clearly of the school’s core beliefs and the values Dartmouth is seeking amongst it’s community. it would be interesting to read samples of these letters to get a vibe

2 Likes

Hi, I’m a RD applicant and I have been wondering if I should ask my little brother to write my Peer Rec. He’s 2 year younger than me and I think he could add a new perspective into my application. However, my counselor did not really recommend it as his age and proximity might not come off as qualified for a letter of recommendation. Can anyone give me some advice?

I agree with your GC, you should choose a peer, not your brother.

Per the webinar we listened to - the peer rec doesn’t have to be well written, grammar free, perfect type of LOR. But they like the peer rec to see a letter from a peer and their perspective of you as a person. They know the LOR is written by a peer, so they understand it will be written in possibly teen lingo.

May I ask if there is financial aid documents for all but only date change for those accepted?
There is no date on the portal now (applying RD) but tons of documents. Thanks

They wanted you make sure you mailed the check BEFORE they pulled the tigger. lol