Deciding between BSN program on probation vs. new program with no graduates/NCLEX history

Yes, she is. However the direct admits in California didn’t come through - rejections from UCLA, UCI, SDSU, and CSU Fullerton.

She’s worried about not getting in after sophomore year and having to go to a nursing school after graduation (more time and money).

There’s also the option (not a great one) of taking a gap year, becoming a CNA, and reapplying for next year.

We have a tour of Chico set up. All options are on the table.

1 Like

For each of the CSUs you should find out how many students intend to major in nursing vs how many actually are admitted into the program (I’m sure you know this of course). I think SFSU is heavily impacted and not that many are admitted. Plus the cost of living in SF is astronomical. And it’s a commuter school, if that matters to her. From her CSU options I personally would choose Chico for a traditional college experience and solid nursing program (depending on the admit rate of course). Can’t comment on her OOS options. And I don’t think the gap year experience will make much of a difference. The CA direct admit programs have miniscule acceptance rates and no matter how qualified your D is, so are most of the other applicants.

Good luck to her! I hope you update us on her decision. Nursing is a second career for me and I’m so happy I made the switch! Hopefully your D will love it too.

3 Likes

I live on LI… we’re way out on the east end.
Hofstra is in the very dense suburbs of Nassau County, but very close to many hospitals, large and small, and not far from NYC.
Hempstead is really not the safest area, but nothing like the inner-city issues Philly has.
Very car dependent. Beautiful campus, lots going on. It’s a good choice.
My brother went to Hofstra Law.

2 Likes

I would avoid Temple right now. Do some research.

I would also write a LOCI to your waitlist schools. Those are some very good nursing programs.

Good luck.

6 Likes

Not sure I 100% agree. I grew up not far from Hofstra. When I lived there Hofstra had a large commuter population and likely more students who went home on weekends – not sure if that has changed over the years. Also Hempstead itself isn’t a great suburb. This is something for the OP to research and consider along with concerns regarding the neighborhood surrounding Temple.

1 Like

Temple has a relatively large commuter population, too, though as a much larger school, it may be less of an issue. I just know Temple’s medical campus is in an even worse neighborhood of North Philly (1.5 miles north) than Temple’s main campus. And there have been plenty of concerns regarding safety near the main campus, particularly in the past few years. That said, my grandson will be starting as a freshman at Temple in August, though not in nursing. Whether this is a determining factor depends on one’s comfort level with urban schools in sketchy neighborhoods. As I said previously, I really know very little about Hofstra.

Another option is to see if she can get into an ADN/RN program at a community college (not necessarily easy, since those can be overloaded). RN → BSN programs are often significantly less difficult to get into than frosh-entry BSN programs.

The two-step ADN/RN then RN → BSN also means that one can start working as a nurse after two years with the ADN/RN (assuming NCLEX pass), in case something (like running out of money) gets in the way of finishing the BSN.

Here are some NCLEX pass rates for nursing schools (ADN, BSN, MSN) in California: NCLEX Pass Rates

3 Likes

Agree that it all depends on what the OPs daughter is comfortable with. I just wanted to give the OP something to consider/research.

1 Like

Exactly. It needs to be her decision with her current hand. If any waitlist positions change to offers, she can reassess. Meanwhile, Temple is out and it’s between Hofstra’s direct entry, no track record program and a California State University program that’s not direct entry.

1 Like

Any local community college ADN/RN programs a possibility?

Is it possible to visit Hofstra? That may help to answer a lot of your questions.

We recently visited Hofstra, Temple, and Pitt. She didn’t care for the lifeless “vibe” she felt at Hofstra (it was a weekday afternoon) but they were very attentive in courting her and seem to really want success for their nursing students. She liked Temple’s sea of people and urban setting/layout more and Pitt was her favorite by far but it’s a waitlist so…

2 Likes

I feel that your daughter is in a bit of a predicament, unfortunately.

As a parent I would be nervous about safety at Temple.

I am also from Long Island, and I don’t think Hempstead is a great place to be for undergrad. I also wonder if students still go home on the weekends, commute etc. It’s fine for grad school- I know they have a PA program, a medical school etc.

I think it’s best to do direct entry, but in this particular case I may think about visiting Hofstra before committing to it. If your D doesn’t like it I would probably choose a non-direct admit (which I know is not the ideal situation). She could do the CC route but then she would be giving up a traditional experience. Also, these programs are not easy to gain acceptance to- the CC program in my county actually has a wait list and is competitive.

If she does not get into a non-direct admit nursing program, she could do an accelerated BSN. This adds to the cost, but it’s an option.

2 Likes

The OP asked the question in April. Decisions had to have been made at this point. If the OP wants to share the decision, they can PM me to reopen thread