Decker School of Nursing Transfer?

Hi Everyone! I applied to Binghamton’s Decker School of Nursing for this coming Fall. I currently attend the College of Saint Rose. I am a sophomore Biology student, but only claimed my major as Biology this year (sophomore year). I have a lot of friends at Binghamton that strongly suggest the school and I have done my research regarding the nursing program.

Freshman year at College of Saint Rose, my grades were not good at all. I did have a rough start my freshman year. Really didn’t enjoy my time at school, I missed home a lot more than I thought I would (I am also more mature now than I was last year, naturally). My gpa was a 2.9. I was a political science major because I had no idea what I wanted to do. I was playing on a competitive DII soccer team.

Sophomore year, I decided I wanted to go into nursing. I switched my major to biology and my gpa went from a 2.9 to a 3.5. Currently, this semester, I have a 4.0. I worked my butt off to change my academics for the better and I continue to do so.

I know the transfer requirement for Binghamton’s Nursing School is a 3.0, but I was wondering if I had a decent chance. My friend had a 3.3 at Oneonta and was able to transfer in. I also have a numerous amount of extra curricular activities. For example, I am in the clubs Colleges Against Cancer and National Science Association. I have started my own Fitness and Nutrition Club at my school. I am in the process of receiving my certification as a Personal Trainer. When I am home, I maintain two part-time jobs. I am volunteering at Albany Medical Hospital. I was on the women’s soccer team at the College of Saint Rose.

I will be SO happy if I am admitted, but I’m not sure I will be. I was wondering if anyone could give me any information about the application process, or when I should hear back from the school? I had all my transcripts and full application submitted by January 16th.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Well, first of all it is way easier to get into decker as a transfer student from anther school than to do an intra-university transfer. I would recommend you apply directly to Decker, not to Harpur. Being enrolled in Harpur isn’t going to help you if you want to get a BSN. I realize its a little late now but I would try to contact admissions and let them know.

sprinkes12, I actually did apply to Decker, not Harpur. I was just wondering what my chances looked like knowing my statistics and everything. Do you think I have a decent chance? Thanks!