Declined from UCLA with a 2340?

<p>■■■■■. “The average … SAT score between 1760 and 2140.” </p>

<p>It’s because I’m asian right?</p>

<p>No, it’s not because your Asian. There is more to an application than your SAT score.</p>

<p>wow. I’m sorry to hear this. I hope you applied to Stanford with that SAT score:)</p>

<p>An impressive SAT score means nothing if you have a subpar GPA or a lack of EC’s. We’re going to need to know more about your qualifications before we can say anything</p>

<p>UCs reject overly qualified applicants because they want students that are actually considering to attend the school.</p>

<p>^false. Having a 2300+ does not make any applicant overqualified.</p>

<p>In another Stats post, you indicated you applied for Computer Science, presume this is in UCLA Engineering. Engineering acceptances are highly selective, with much lower acceptance rate. Also you indicated lack of ECs. </p>

<p>For engineering/ impacted major like Comp Science, you need to show rigor of classes related to your desired major. Strong SAT2 subject scores, yes that is considered for Engineering at UCs. Also your personal statement. </p>

<p>Without knowing your transcript, your ECs(major related), your personal statement, it is anybody’s guess why you were rejected. Also I think you are OOS? But in this case, it is probably the impacted major, lack of EC and personal statement. Just a high SAT score isn’t going to get you in. GPA, rigor of courses is more important. Also not sure if you met the A-G requirements of UCs since you are OOS.</p>

<p>And no, UCs do not follow affirmative action. So being Asian is not a deterrant. However, they do want to know given your background and opportunities, how much have you challenged yourself and made use of the opportunities around you.</p>

<p>And no, UCs do NOT reject over-qualified applicants. They consider them for Regents scholarship and they know they get plenty of potential ivy-candidates in-state, given the low tuition for the high quality of education.</p>

<p>OP, Asians with a 2340 also got in. So, no, that’s not the reason.</p>

<p>Being an Asian, I’d like to say this: No one is going to admit that you got rejected because you’re Asian, because technically, you didn’t. You’re being compared to other Asians in the applicant pool, so being Asian didn’t make them reject you; it’s the fact that you probably didn’t stand out as much as other Asians. </p>

<p>If you were an URM, then you’d be compared to other URMs, and with your stats, (presuming all your other stats are as good as your 2340 SAT), you’d probably get accepted. </p>

<p>You just have to accept this reality because that’s the way college admissions are in this country. “Holistic” admissions makes it possible for institutions to reject literally perfect applicants without having to give a reason, even if that reason is race (which a lot of the time it kind of is). Asians will always be held to a ridiculously higher standard.</p>

<p>Your SAT is low for an asian. A 2350 could have gotten you in.</p>

<p>appeal …there might be chances.</p>