Deerfield Academy Matriculation Data Now Hidden by School!?

<p>@Rosie: Typically the college matriculation data can be found on the school profile. School profiles are often found in the college advising sections of the website. </p>

<p>The DA view book (on their website) lists colleges that have accepted 10 or more DA kids over the last 5 years; there’s also a complete list, in the college advising section, of the college attended by the class of 2013, although it’s true it doesn’t give exact numbers at each school. 2014 list isn’t out yet-- the kids are still visiting places where they were accepted.</p>

<p>I think I figured out what’s going on. It seems to be getting tougher for the boarding schools to place all their students in good colleges probably due to stiffer competition from public schools. Andover used post all colleges that all their graduates matriculated to. Now they only post one year data and ONLY give a cumulative list of 5 or more students. This will hide if say 1 to 4 kids went to some not so great colleges. These schools should post complete information truthfully as they used to in the past, so that prospective students and parents are not mislead.</p>

<p><a href=“http://■■■■■■■.com/lw7nklo”>http://■■■■■■■.com/lw7nklo&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>I hardly think Andover is being deliberately deceptive. The top schools for 2103 are the top schools for the past 3 years. Odds are if the were 1 matriculation in 2013, there would be less than 5 on he 3 year summary. This is hardly a conspiracy theory</p>

<p>What’s not “truthful” about clearly stating that a list reflects schools at which “five or more students matriculated” or that a list reflects “schools our students have matriculated to in the past five years”? How is anyone being misled? It’s much more misleading to think that if boarding school X sent 10 kids to <lotterlyschoolx> last year, but school Y only sent 5 that school X is a better school or that your student has a better chance at <lotteryschoolx> from boarding school X when that information absolutely CANNOT be deduced from those numbers. I believe boarding schools that are producing the more generalized lists are trying to AVOID misleading prospective applicants by not printing information that is too often used to draw incorrect conclusions or make false comparisons.</lotteryschoolx></lotterlyschoolx></p>

<p>Is it really important to know exactly how many students matriculated to <collegex>? Why isn’t is sufficient to know that some students from boarding school X have matriculated to <collegex>? The list is just there to tell you that students from that boarding school are prepared for and attractive to those colleges. What else are you trying to infer? Whatever it is, perhaps the schools are trying to help you avoid error.</collegex></collegex></p>

<p>It marginalizes the students whose matriculation data is not shown now which used to be just because they went to lower tier schools. If there is no harm, why change the practice now from what they used to do?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>You can believe whatever you want. That’s not what others think of when data is withheld. That’s why in courts they ask you to tell the “whole truth” and “only the whole truth”. I hope you see the reason now.</p>

<p>But they’re NOT hiding the lower tier schools-- the 2013 DA matriculation list names ALL colleges for the class of 2013–plenty of great schools, but also some definitely less prestigious ones–it just doesn’t say how many students attend each school. Then you CAN get some idea of numbers off the viewbook’s list of schools which accepted more than 10 DA kids over the past 5 years. So while it doesn’t say x number of kids went to Harvard, y number went to Georgetown or wherever in a particular year, and thus you can’t see the exact decrease or increase of the number going to a particular school in a particular year, you can certainly get a sense of the breadth of schools attended and which schools have taken many of the kids. I understand you’re saying you want to see the numbers that go to each school each year to see if more or fewer kids are now going to certain schools-- but those numbers are going to naturally vary every year anyway.</p>

<p>Variation from year to year is what tells you if a school is going downhill due to poor administration etc.</p>

<p>rosie: No meaningful data is being withheld and, as sgopal2 posted earlier, you can call the admissions office and have them fax numbers to you if you believe they will reveal whether or not Deerfield is “going downhill due to poor administration.” When you make that call, ask them to explain the change in format and then please share their response so we can close this thread. Speculation, including my own, is meaningless.</p>

<p>The data I’m referring to is Andover’s. See the link I posted above. They have changed their reporting.</p>

<p>Surely you’re not suggesting that Andover is going downhill?</p>

<p>Why does it matter if they changed their reporting? I don’t think this is an omen signifying the end of an era.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>You will only know when all and accurate data is presented.</p>

<p>Well, the accurate data that application numbers are going up and admission rate is staying at or dipping under what it was a couple years ago can show that it’s not actually “downhill.”</p>

<p>We are talking about the output, what comes out. College matriculations, not input, admissions. If one had a million dollar budget, one can shake up some bushes and get all the applicants out and make the admit stats look good.</p>

<p>i’m not quite sure why you are still arguing the point @rosie19 You have already been advised that Deerfield will send you the data if you call them. Andover will do the same. Andover’s school profiles for the past several years are online, so you can double check the numbers yourself.</p>

<p>Don’t confuse matriculation numbers with admitted numbers. With private colleges becoming so obscenely expensive, cost matters a lot.</p>

<p>S1 is on track to make Cum Laude; will likely be a National Merit Finalist; and has an interesting hook, but will not be applying to any Ivy schools because they do not offer merit scholarships. We just don’t see the point in coughing up a quarter of a million dollars for HYP when other top schools offer big money. I know of many other upper income families who don’t care to be patsies in the “high tuition / high aid” model, and are following the merit money. They’ve decided it’s not worth the cost to be a prestige “ho”, especially when kid is likely to continue on to grad school.</p>

<p>So, does S1’s rational college strategy make his BS look bad? </p>

<p>@rose: I get that we’re discussing output. But if we’re talking about declines, then it’s worth mentioning the input numbers to show that the affluence and the draw of these schools won’t be going away anytime soon.</p>

<p>Try this:</p>

<p>1) Print out all the College Matriculation Lists from the Top 30 Boarding Schools and remove the name of the school from each list. </p>

<p>2) Spread all the lists out on the floor and try to identify the school.</p>

<p>3) Good luck!</p>

<p>“Variation from year to year is what tells you if a school is going downhill due to poor administration etc.”</p>

<p>Variation from year to year is the result of the efforts and interests of students and their families. </p>