DeSantis proposes sweeping higher education measures aimed at ‘indoctrination’

That’s fine, but it also ignores the fact that there is debate (which i don’t want to touch on here, lol) as to whether abortion is a human right, as their petition stated. Personally, I think Michigan did the right thing by allowing her to speak bc we are really walking a fine line with this.

Many schools in America are not filled with ambitious and talented teachers or students with the time, resources, or desire to draft their own curriculum.At least AP offers a standardized curriculum and test to compare across schools

2 Likes

Sure, which is exactly why the College Board can do whatever they want with the curriculum and they will still sell their product. That was my point.

Wel, I haven’t personally reviewed the course itself, but I trust the G’town prof. If he says it is fine, it will probably do. I am sure there are people who object to the content of every current AP course

This is not universally true. Phillips Academy for example, widely regarded as one of the best high schools in the world, offers only a very small handful of APs (3, officially) and kids typically don’t go out of their way to supplement what they learn in an existing course just to take the AP (which is not to say this doesn’t happen, but as a general rule it’s not the case). And PA is not alone among schools in this regard.

1 Like

I believe you posted this after my initial response. But yes, this, exactly.

1 Like

The number of prep schoools with the resources of PA is astonishingly small. For the rest of us, we need to rely upon standardized curriculum.
47% of public school children attend schools which meet criteria for Title 1 grants.

3 Likes

Like I said, there is conflicting reports of what happened. The College Board press release is also very clear. What is interesting is if the objectionable parts are no longer there, what will Florida do?

Ok?

Point is that kids only “need” to take AP courses if they’re offered. Holistic admissions means, among things, evaluating how a kid took advantage of what was available to them. And given how easily AP tests can be gamed - no different than any standardized test - it’s easy to see why the pendulum is swinging away from them.

In the context of this thread, I can easily see a (non-FL) school decide not to offer this particular AP course to the extent it’s been diluted in this appeasement.

However, this is probably mostly just a few academically elite schools, or schools that market themselves as academically elite. For the average high school, an AP course and curriculum is just a convenient way to offer a more advanced course without having to develop it themselves.

3 Likes

The pendulum is swinging away among upper middle class and affluent kids in elite prep schools and some well funded publics. The kinds of schools CC forum members have, not the schools for most.
Out of curiosity, why do you not trust the G’town professor’s judgment that this is a solid course? He is highly esteemed in the field. Knowledgeable, experienced and well-published. Or is it just thatDeSantis likes it and therefore it must be bad?

1 Like

Being a professor at Georgetown -or any other school for that matter - does not automatically confer any particular legitimacy to my mind. Among the 6 schools of higher-ed my spouse and I attended, we can still name dozens of profs off the tops of our heads who were total kooks.

1 Like

Are you suggesting Prof Patterson is a kook? Really? On what possible basis? Why on earth is your judgment better than his? Shouldnt we leave the topic to educators, after all?

No I’m suggesting that I have no idea what their motives are, among other things.

Everyone is so insistent that the CB is all about revenues, then is it all that surprising that the person hired to oversee the thing is a fan of the product?

They used the services of over 300 academics. Surely they can’t all be kooks?

Sometimes groupthink can make a whole field kooky :-). Humans are very talented.

1 Like

For what compensation?

I assume you also have issues with AP bio, AP art history, AP US history, etc?

In fact I do have issues with APs in general, but that’s not what this thread is about.

Most recently, it’s come to light that a particular course has been changed to appease a noisy governor. I’m not ok with that despite the continued cheerleading from the CB - whose primary motivation is $ as has continually been pointed out.

3 Likes

The college board says the course was still in process and had not been finalized when DeSantis objected. Many other states have rules regarding CRT teaching. It seems likely thecourse was amended to be used as widely as possible with thoe most students