DeSantis proposes sweeping higher education measures aimed at ‘indoctrination’

In terms of the Florida governor topic that the OP posted at the top of this thread, that is something that the voters of Florida will need to decide.

People should also vote with their $$. According to a Google search, there are 31 4-year colleges in Florida. And there are ~2800 4-year colleges in the US in total.

That means that there are about 2769 other ones to choose from.

If one isn’t a resident of Florida, then send your kid to college in one of those 2769 non-public non-Florida colleges. If you ARE a Florida resident, then send your kid to one of the 2769 colleges that aren’t Florida public 4-year colleges.

1 Like

For non-Florida residents, this option is a relatively easy one to take. For most Florida residents, most of whom are constrained by costs, many of the non-Florida-public options will be significantly more expensive or unaffordable than Florida public options (those with top-end high school credentials may have more options than those with typical college-bound high school credentials).

5 Likes

I think we all agree with this, but I also think it’s fine to speculate on whether this is a good move for Florida. It’s also easy for those living outside of Florida or those with means to leave Florida if we lived there to say this. There are going to be some people who are in Florida and don’t have the means to leave that will have to live with these decisions, and I think it’s fine to speculate on if this is going to hurt them or not.

3 Likes

Just posting the document that summarizes DeSantis’ Higher Ed Reform Plan

This is just political pandering to his base, no different than glen youngkins CRT hotline that shut down because there is no CRT in VA schools. - just political posturing, no more no less

2 Likes

I think that section on prohibiting “divisive” concepts is going to have a hard time passing consitutional muster. Or rather, it will ban all discussion on any topic if anyone objects to that particular topic or the one doing the presentation.

1 Like

I am sure there’s some of that going on. But IMO there is demand for a “Hillsdale of the South” type school that DeSantis is promising (just to focus on that piece of the plan). If no one is interested in that school, then the market will speak and the school will close. But, considering Hillsdale’s acceptance rate, the new NCF likely won’t fail.

3 Likes

While I agree with DeSantis on the silliness of some of the faddish ideas being presented as academic study, I’m even more concerned about autocratic politicians deciding what can and can’t be discussed.

Hillsdale is a Christian School - i do not think government should be advocating religious ideology into a government school. Private Schools can do whatever they want.

3 Likes

I think you could argue that if there was demand for a Hillsdale of the south, which is a private school, then a private school would open without the need for government intervention, right?

6 Likes

Hopefully Florida voters will speak. But I won’t hold my breath

3 Likes

and btw all of these courses and ideology that he is attacking are taught in some of the best Private Christian Schools in this country , Georgetown, Nova, BC etc

1 Like

Not sure why you tagged me for this. To be clear, I don’t support what DeSantis is doing…but my sense is a significant proportion of his constituents do.

1 Like

it certainly appears that way. He won reelection handily (his opponent was a terrible candidate, but even outside that, Florida is no longer a swing state).

1 Like

Agree with both of you and @Mwfan1921. And Florida seems to have a net influx of people while my state of California is losing people. California is requiring an ethnic studies course for all high schoolers to graduate, starting in a few years. Our school district already requires it starting next year. Here’s some info:

It’s all very fascinating. And yes, people with the means vote with their feet. And those that don’t have the means need to make sure to vote.

1 Like

Re: Ethnic studies required for California high school students - CalMatters

Interesting tidbit:

4 Likes

One of the benefits of the IB program two of my kids went through was that they really got the cream of the crop among the teachers in our district. Among those were a handful of PhDs, and yes, they were fantastic. One of them, in particular, was heads and shoulders better than the rest, and everyone knows it.

1 Like

One thing this highlights for me is that the “anti-indoctrination” movement is not itself intellectually pure and “balanced” (whatever that means) as it is often portrayed. Beyond the obviously political motivations, it has its own biases, one of which, ostensibly, is that DE&I is undesirable.

Isn’t that in and of itself a school of thought? Aren’t we just talking competing schools of thought?

I’m not a huge fan of affirmative action, but I don’t reject out of hand all of the DE&I foundational principles. I wish the pendulum didn’t swing so hard in the US. It leads to a lot of unnecessary conflict and waste of energy.

5 Likes

Is there a link somewhere to more of the details on DeSantis’ Higher Ed Reform Plan? I don’t really want to read a massive legal document, but just if you happen to have found something with a little more detail than the one page flyer…?

It just boggles my mind how freely we all now accept government intrusion of this sort. There are generations of liberals and conservatives alike rolling in their graves over how readily we accept this sort of thing. The right will blame the left for “starting it”, and then there will be a response to that, etc. But here we are, with partisan politics directly regulating academia. Great. I’m sure this will all be for the best.

Schools should be able to teach CRT, and stay out of whether the professor/teacher endorses it or not. Let the market speak. Kids who want it will pursue it; those who don’t won’t. Eventually the school has to answer to its stakeholders. If you’re offering courses at Princeton that nobody takes, how long will it last? If it is heavily subscribed, then the school offers it more frequently.
Can someone remind me again why we need the government to step in and “fix” this?

Maybe @Mwfan1921 is right: there is more demand for schools like Hillsdale. If so, let consumers take care of it in due time.

4 Likes