Didn’t get in any this year, need recommendations for next year

<p>Hi, my son is a shy/asian boy. He applied 7 schools and all rejected him. We need recommendation for safeties and matches for next year. </p>

<p>We’re looking for small campuses with strong social science programs so it can prepare him for a good graduate school. </p>

<p>Thanks in advance</p>

<p>Stats:
SAT: 2300, CR 800, M750, W750, E12
SAT2: M740, WH780, H760, L710
AP: 5,5,5,4,4, currently in 3 more
GPA: 3.5
ECs: poor
Essay: is excellent. He always get A in English classes</p>

<p>Can you give us his rejections? It may help with suggestions.</p>

<p>Knowing where he applied this year would really help.</p>

<p>Cornell College in Iowa sends a lot of students to good graduate schools.</p>

<p>In addition, need to know acceptable locations. Would also be helpful to know his current region (NE, MidWest, etc.)</p>

<p>What will your son do with his "gap year"?</p>

<p>Where in the US would he like to study?</p>

<p>Does he need financial aid?</p>

<p>There are lots of decent small liberal arts colleges all over the USA that would be able to prepare him for graduate school in the social sciences. Some of them are rolling admissions and still have spaces available for the fall semester. Also, the National Association for College Admission Counseling (NACAC) publishes a list of colleges that have spaces in mid-May. Ask your son's guidance counselor to look it up for you. Here's the link to their website:</p>

<p>NACAC</a> - Home page</p>

<p>A list of Rolling Admissions and Late Deadline Schools is at:</p>

<p>Late</a> & Rolling Deadline Schools</p>

<p>A lot of students who only applied to "top" schools this year are in your son's situation. I wish you all the best.</p>

<p>ahhhhh...give your son a big hug. His scores are excellent. He is definitely bright.</p>

<p>Numbers-oriented universities would love his test scores. I'm thinking about good state universities. If that GPA is unweighted, he'd have a good chance at UW-Madison, for example.</p>

<p>Um....not to sound offensive, but did you tell him to apply to only like the top 15 schools or something? I mean, honestly, did you just choose numbers 1-7 on USNWSR, because I find it hard to believe that even all of the top 15 would reject him with a 2300 and 6 High AP scores just because his UW gpa is SLIGHTLY low (Which it really isn't, just in comparison to applicant pools in the top 7 schools).</p>

<p>In any case, maybe he should look at some liberal arts schools if you want that small intimate field, though I'm not positive how their social science fields are.</p>

<p>There are probably a few public universities in your state, including ones with small campuses, where numbers like that would make him an automatic admit and honors-program invitee. Any one of them could give him a great grounding in social sciences and a platform from which to apply to graduate school. That may not be his best option when all is said and done, but it would be a perfectly good option.</p>

<p>I agree, though, that he ought to look carefully at the NACAC list when it comes out in a few weeks. There are often some fine small colleges on there that would be great choices for him.</p>

<p>Your s would really benefit from a small less competative college. He is shy but he will stay that way if he does not have the opportunity and the focus on community that a small school will give him. It would help if you were to name the schools he applied to. I agree that you should try to get him enrolled in a school this fall-even if he transfers later. He has the grades and now he needs a warm cozy non-pressured environment to develop his confidence socially. Small schools have loads of activities that you just automatically do because everyone does.
My S is also (or was) shy and is Asian. He is very quiet in the classroom. He was in a larger HS and transfered to a very small one his Junior year and wow has he come out of himself. He had almost no ec's but now has joined clubs and is trying for varsity triple jump. Of course this is the school I wanted him to go to all along..but I guess that is another thread.
The very best to him. Don't know what your/his plans are but please think about what has been posted.
OOPs-I see you are looking at smaller schools-Great!</p>

<p>I would also highly recommend that he apply to some of the rolling/late admission schools. With fantastic scores like that, I don't think he'll have a problem finding a spot at some of the numbers-loving state schools.</p>

<p>And if he prefers a small campus, I see some "small gems" on the rolling/late list that some of my son's friends have been <em>very</em> happy at: Cedarville University, Bryan College, Campbell University, and Wingate University. And Southeastern College in Wake Forest, NC has a wonderful new Great Books program that would challenge anyone.</p>

<p>Please do not be embarassed to share enough information with us to help you. The only reason a young man with those stats doesn't have any acceptances is that this was a <em>very</em> difficult admissions year and evidently he did not get good advice and apply to some safeties. I am so sorry you are both dealing with this. A lot of people are this year. :-( Please encourage your son that there is nothing wrong with him!!!!!!!!!!</p>

<p>It would help tremendously to know what area of the country he wants to be in and whether you need financial aid or not. Also if he is open to a Christian college or not.</p>

<p>I think a student like your son will thrive in a small, warm liberal arts school!</p>

<p>Mom5, St. Olaf College in Minnesota is still accepting applications. It is one of the best LAC when it comes to preparing students for grad school. </p>

<p>From all the things I have read about the school, it seems like a very good school. </p>

<p>St</a>. Olaf College—A private liberal arts college of the Lutheran church in Minnesota</p>

<p>St. Olaf is a fabulous school! I'm surprised that they are still accepting applicatons. One of my good friends went there and went on to a top 5 law school. A recent Rhodes scholar came from St. Olaf. Definitely is a school that sends many kids to grad school. Check out their academics.</p>

<p>If your S does take a gap year, this is the kind of school he should really scrutinize...a real hidden gem.</p>

<p>Your son's diversity (not blond Scandinavian) could be a plus.</p>

<p>I have been thinking about your son's situation and cannot help but wonder why his HS and GC did not help him with his ec's. If the GC had explained to your s that he needed to have some/more then he would have had his Junior year and summer to get involved. OK-maybe the GC did but at this point both your GC and the HS principal need to get involved and advocate for your s. They can contact some schools that they know well and, with your permission, go to bat for your s. I would suggest not using the word "shy" but just focus on the fact that he has been studious. Also- tega has a great idea-St. Olaf is a great school. Also, huguenot's of a Christian College. But I do hope you will get someone from his school involved-he needs a number of adults to help him with this. If there is any chance that you or s's father are also shy then try to find a relative or paster or neighbor to help you become assertive in your son's behalf. Thank you for posting and I hope you feel the support from all of us. Perhaps it is touching me because my son had been so quiet before his environment changed and also I am a therapist and have worked with shy patients. Again, your s can transfer in the future but helping him find a "fit" for now is what what we are all hoping for him.</p>

<p>My sons are not near college age yet, so I'm not all that knowledgable, but I was impressed by Franklin and Marshall College in Lancaster, PA. My older son has done two CTY programs there the past two summers. Last year, someone from the admissions office spoke to the kids and parents at the closing ceremonies. I was very impressed with what he had to say. For one thing, a very high percentage of their students are involved with the professors in scientific research or the humanities equivalent. The campus is beautiful and the area is lovely. </p>

<p>I am very sorry that your son did not get any acceptances. He is clearly bright and hard-working, and I'm sure he will find a good spot either this year or next.</p>

<p>Good point, oregon101. It does not reflect well on the HS that a student of this caliber does not have any acceptances (unless they gave good advice and it was ignored). Just out of curiousity, how big a factor do you think the lack of ECs was?</p>

<p>There was a thread from last year about a student who didn't get in anywhere. He took a gap year and reapplied. Anyone remember that thread so that this poster can take a look at it. I searched for it, but couldn't find it.</p>

<p>I'm fairly certain that Arizona State University is still accepting applications, and I mention it only because it has the Barrett Honors College, which is like a small liberal arts college within the university. My S. and I both thought it was absolutely terrific when we visited. The students are really smart but seem relaxed and happy, and there's a nice residential community. It's definitely worth a look.</p>

<p>Here's the thread Westcoastmon mentioned: <a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parents-forum/192395-no-acceptances-one-kid-s-story-year-later.html?highlight=andison%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parents-forum/192395-no-acceptances-one-kid-s-story-year-later.html?highlight=andison&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>It's a very encouraging account of how someone overcame this situation by taking a great gap year.</p>