Didn’t get in any this year, need recommendations for next year

<p>You mention your son is interested in social sciences. If you're thinking about law school/poli sci or something like that, most cities have a program where students who have a second language (I'm thinking that this may be you guys) can volunteer at a court house to translate for people who speak English as a Second Language. (You can also do this at a hospital.) This would be a neat extracurricular volunteer activity which might help your son learn more about law, the judicial system and American politics -- suggesting that he's got some applied knowledge to go with his academic knowledge. Also he'd make contacts with judges and lawyers who may have gone to college in your area and who might be able to advise him with applications and recommendations. (My roomate in college was Chinese-American and she volunteered in a program like this for years and now she's a VERY SUCCESSFUL lawyer!)</p>

<p>Would he consider applying now to schools with late deadlines or rolling admissions? There are some fine schools that are still accepting applications for the Fall. I personally couldn't let a brilliant kid like your son wait through another admissions cycle not knowing if anyone will accept him. Even if he doesn't want to go to any of the schools he applies to at this point, at least he'll know he's wanted. What about Loyola Marymount, Butler U, IIT (probably doesn't fit the "social sciences" requirement) Michigan State, Bard, Indiana Wesleyan? They are not Ivies, but they do have a share of the best and the brightest. </p>

<p>USNews.com:</a> America's Best Colleges 2008: Schools with late or rolling admission deadlines</p>