Differences between top east-coast LACs? (Williams, Amherst, Swarthmore, Bowdoin, Middlebury, etc.)

The RD acceptance rates at colleges of this type commonly differ from the overall (published) rates by about two percentage points.

@merc81: It will vary by school, but I have seen much wider variations. Williams College, for example, had an ED admit rate of about 35% and an overall admit rate of 15% so the RD admit rate is below 15%, but I have not checked the difference.

WAY more than that. For example, Middlebury’s ED acceptance rate is about 48%; RD is 14%. Williams’s ED admissions rate is 35%; RD 13%. Swarthmore is at 28% and 9%. Hamilton 40% and 22%. I can’t link to my source because it’s against the TOS. You can Google it.

1 Like

@Publisher: I calculated the differences for more than one school directly from their most recent Common Data Sets. Williams, for example, indicates an overall acceptance rate of 13% and a regular decision acceptance rate of 11%.

@brantly: I never mentioned early decision acceptance rates.

1 Like

@brantley: While your admissions figures seem correct, you have not included the overall published rate of admission. Middlebury College would then be a 3% difference & Williams College would be a 2% difference thereby supporting @merc81’s assertion.

For example: Williams College ED admit rate = 35%; RD admit rate = 13% and overall published rate of admission = 15%. Class of 2021.

2 Likes

^Agreement that one of the chief advantages of being full-pay is that you’re not limited to the RD admissions cycle (in order to compare financial aid awards.)

In reading over your early posts, it looks as if Brown is a clear contender for ED (it’s an Ivy, there’s a legacy hook, DD seemed to like it when visited.) I would use that as your tent pole with all the other EA and RD choices arranged around it. The only thing that isn’t clear is why did she like it? The campus itself is not that imposing - there hasn’t been a stunning architectural addition to it in nearly a century. The one thing they have that perhaps came all too easily, is a thriving, historic, museum quality neighborhood bordering campus that caters to college students. Is that what DD found attractive about Harvard, too? If so, it’s going to be tough to find an LAC equivalent. Maybe, Amherst? Maybe, Wesleyan? Both LACs seem to have suffered the same fate of being visited on the same trip as a more glamorous Ivy.

Brown has also acquired a reputation for being the most artsy of the Ivies with cross-registration opportunities at RISD. Maybe Skidmore or Connecticut College would fit under the same tent (I promise not to mention Wesleyan again.)

Brown has an open curriculum, but, this is 2019 and cold comfort to anyone wishing to major in STEM. The prerequisites, the labs, the time spent doing problem sets all combine to sort of level the playing field even with LACs that have distribution requirements (and, I promise not to mention Amherst again.)

Brown also has a reputation for being the most quirky of the Ivies. Bates and Vassar (neither of which DD has visited yet) come to mind.

OTOH, Brown also has the least regarded graduate school of any Ivy except Dartmouth. To buy into the Ivy myth is to also buy into an almost permanent perch at the bottom of that hierarchy. If DD really loves Brown, she’s going to have to love it for its actual virtues, not because people are going to bow down at the mention of its name (which is why, I suppose, it got relegated with the LACs in your OP, in the first place?)

1 Like

@RayManta Did your D take the PSAT? That may give you some indication of how much her verbal score may increase.

As we talk about safeties
 If your D liked a school like Bard (very intellectual place), which you mentioned upthread, there are ways to apply there and get a decision early that are not binding. With that acceptance in hand, pursuing reachier schools is less risky. And you don’t need a super long list.

Just saying that if some of the safer schools she likes are ones with earlier decisions, it can save you a lot of pain. You may want to consider that criteria as well.

1 Like

Thanks again for all the thoughtful comments.

I can’t say why she liked Brown, unfortunately–I wasn’t there, and I’m not the legacy connection. I’m personally not taken in with the Ivy “mystique,” and it seems like she isn’t either. If she does apply to an Ivy, it will probably just be Brown to take advantage of that connection, but it sort of puts us in a bind, which is beyond the scope of this thread: If it isn’t her top choice, there’s no reason to apply there ED, but if she applies there RD, they may discount the import of the legacy connection because she isn’t showing a “strong interest,” which I’ve read anecdotally some schools will do. So there’s a strategic element we have to figure out.

She says she loved everything about Harvard, which, again, surprised me because it is very different from the other schools she’s expressed an interest in. I think she only decided to go on a whim, just to see it first-hand, to get a sense of what it was like. Her chance is the same as every other non-hooked, non-superstar, of course, I guess 3% or so, and only if she gets her SAT up to the mid-1500s, so we’re not holding our breath or anything. She indicated that she loved Cambridge, but again, seems less enthusiastic about Tufts, which I think is about three miles away, so I just don’t know, and it seems like there isn’t some factor that can be duplicated elsewhere. Maybe it was the history–she loved William and Mary and is positive to UVa, as indicated earlier, so that would seem to make sense. It’s not being in a city. She hated Penn, where she is also legacy. Her stated hatred for Penn was a huge help in helping us eliminate a bunch of city schools, so it was a valuable thing to discover.

She will be full pay. There’s probably no way to avoid it, unfortunately–each calculator I’ve looked at puts us over the limit. Probably makes sense to bite the bullet and choose one school for ED, but then we’re back to the question as to whether to go with Brown, even if it isn’t her first choice.

Great comment about the common data set–I do look them up and find them a good resource, although lacking the context a discussion like this one can provide.

One of the reasons this is a struggle has to do with geography. Coming from the deep south, we started with the assumption that she simply wouldn’t be comfortable or happy in too cold a locale, and drew an arbitrary boundary right around Philadelphia. This is a kid who is used to wearing flip-flops and shorts every day, and swims in an outdoor pool 12 months a year. So we were looking at schools in Pennsylvania, Virginia, North Carolina mostly, with some others scattered around going as far northwest as St. Louis. I thought we were done–plenty of options, not overwhelming numbers. Then she decided to visit Williams and Amherst, insists she wasn’t cold, and isn’t deterred from the Maine schools. Suddenly, there are now hundreds more prospects, including many more LACs, that we hadn’t previously thought about. That’s why I’m here.

If she applies REA to Harvard, make sure she also applies early to a top public university early as well. She will be prohibited from applying to other private universities under any non-binding early action plans. University of Virginia, University of Michigan, and University of North Carolina all have non-binding early action and therefore are popular applications for the SCEA/REA crowd. Your daughter might be interested in the Residential College at the Univ. of Mich. It’s a small liberal arts college within the university.

1 Like

My objective was to come up with a “if you liked X, then you might like Y” guideline. Equivalencies are subjective and certainly not all inclusive. The student bodies of all 12 of these LAC overlap to some degree.

My methodology couldn’t be less scientific. It’s an amalgam of my son’s reaction during his search, the experiences other students that I know personally, how other parents describe their kids’ experiences, how the colleges present themselves especially the tour guides, student interviewers and students who participate in the info sessions. It’s anecdotal, but a pattern emerges.

Mostly I like to visualize what students do when they are not in class or studying. How they fill their down time. Location certainly plays a role as does the residential living arrangement. The level of political advocacy is also a factor: all selective colleges lean left, but there are differences in their causes and intensity. Support for the arts (visual arts, theater, dance, music), support for each of the different factions of diversity (racial, cultural, geographic, economic, gender), support for team sports and outdoorsy activities, support for minority social positions are other points of differentiation. Over time, a picture of a pervasive personality type, an overarching culture, begins to gel.

You hear again and again on this board about the importance of visiting and respecting your kid’s gut reaction, even if it’s poorly articulated. That’s why following the thought process of “if you liked X, then . . .” is useful, especially when moving up and down the selectivity scale.

LAC admission committees evaluate holistically. They have a good feel for the type of student who will fit in and excel. They have their own diversity goals to fulfill, but first they look for students who will fit in and excel. At the end of the day, a student’s “apply to” list has to reflect the student, not just academically, but culturally.

What an applicant can bring to the campus community outside of the classroom can become the factor that pushes the application into the accept pile. Ideally what the college can offer and what the student can offer will intersect.

There are lots of great student comments about different schools on Unigo. That might help you get a feel for each school

So, DD likes UVA, W&M, and Williams. And, she probably spent a good deal of time poking around The Yard during her visit to Harvard. They all contain classic, red-brick quads at their core. That’s a clue although it doesn’t explain her coolness towards Amherst which is practically wall-to-wall redbrick.

Based on the information we have so far, my recommendation would be to substitute Colby for Bates on her Maine college swing. Colby picked up stakes and moved in the early 1950s to a complete tribute to the classic redbrick campus. DD should probably take a look at it. Personally. I don’t like Bates’ campus; it’s built around a lake which is pretty useless in Maine in the winter. Brrr.

Along those same lines, there’s a reason you don’t often see pictures of Middlebury with snow on the ground: too hard to see those sparkling white limestone buildings. :slight_smile:

Wow, @circuitrider–that’s terrific, intuitive reasoning–the kind I gravitate to. Thanks so much!

@momrath: Thanks–now your lists make perfect sense. In my head, your use of the word spectrum made me wonder if the two lists were polar opposites in some way, but what you’ve done is much, much better. Your last two paragraphs really sum it up. Off-point, but some sports sites like www.baseballreference.com like to devise “similarity scores” to compare players across eras based on their stats --that’s what you’ve done, albeit using subjective factors. What a great gift. that really sums up what I was trying to get at in the first post, the different, distinct “personality” of each of these schools, and how similar they are to others. Thanks!

@trixy34–I’m unfamiliar with Unigo–I will check it out.

@brantly: That’s great advice, too, something I hadn’t considered. Thanks!

@gardnestategal: Thanks–we haven’t visited Bard; it is probably a school we won’t have a chance to get to.

@wisteria100: She did take the PSAT several months ago, and offhand I don’t know what she got. She is taking a class right now and focusing on techniques for the English section (reading? Whatever it’s called these days). She thinks she’ll do better, but doesn’t have a sense as to how much better. What happens, happens. We’re not stressed about it; we all know that it has limited applicability in life and doesn’t measure the important things. Info like @monrath’s lists are immensely helpful, because they will make it much easier to shift our focus to other comparable schools if her scores don’t change. Beautiful!

Bates has a traditional brick quad with huge trees. Lake Andrews, aka the Puddle, (really a medium sized pond) is also quite pretty. Here’s a drone view you can use to explore whether it’s a campus that would appeal to her.

https://www.bates.edu/news/2012/12/18/video-birds-eye-bates/

From flip-flops & shorts & year round outdoor swimming to Winters in Maine.

@RayManta wrote: “This is a kid who is used to wearing flip-flops and shorts everyday, and swims in an outdoor pool 12 months a year. 
and isn’t deterred from the Maine schools.”

UNIGO is interesting, but some of the reviews seem to be coached & less than genuine for some LACs.

To OP, we’re in the South, but not deep south, and as my D was honing in on colleges I had her add the weather to her phone for each of the cold weather locales. Senior year as we walked the dog during our typical moderate winter days, I sometimes asked her what the temperature was in the various locations she was considering. It was informative and made her realize that harsh winters did move colleges down on her list. Recommend doing this if you want to test her resolve about cold weather.

That said, Carleton was a contender in the end, and if they’d offered her a better $$ package, she might be surviving the polar vortex today! (I did remind her it’s only 4 winters; not the rest of your life.) However, it ended up being her highest cost option so went off the list. (We’re a EFC bubble family.)

Also, Mt. Holyoke would be a great match/safety for your D and she might well get merit $$ offer, but only is she shows interest. Not sure if any women’s colleges appeal though, obviously.

Never mind, saw your edit, @Publisher.

Hey, I attended a university with underground tunnels to get from building to building, so I have a genuine perspective. She, on the other hand, needs help zipping a coat (sorry, hon, I had to say it).
But it’s her choice. I can only present data and information the best I can. I think the real test will be if she spends a weekend at one of those schools, say next November, which I would push for if she’s still considering them at that point. But I think she’s with me on Chicago and Minnesota.