Disability services at UA

<p>my son was accepted to the Univ. has anyone had any experience with the disability services at school? ie. note services, tutor and mentoring?</p>

<p><a href=“http://ods.ua.edu”>http://ods.ua.edu</a></p>

<p>UA is generally very good about providing disability services. You’ll need to contact the UA Office of Disability Services linked in the above post and discuss with them any accommodations you’ll need. </p>

<p>As a note-taker for ODS, I can say that in my experience they seem pretty accommodating. I have taken notes for other students in my science classes during each of the four semesters I’ve been on campus. If students give their professors enough notice, they have no trouble getting extended test hours in alternative locations. I’ve also heard very good things about all of the various tutoring programs on campus.</p>

<p>TNT…how did you become a note-taker for ODS? did you apply? </p>

<p>I attended the initial meeting with my son. I helped son be sure all items were mailed in advance of arriving on campus. Son made the initial ODS appointment about 6 weeks in advance for early move in day in August. The only negative is that the student needs to request extended time for tests immediately when classes start. Son procrastinated a week this semester, and most time slots were booked. He then had to make arrangements directly with professors for an alternative testing room and not test at ODS. ODS has been responsive to son, but I just wish they were a bit more hands on and professors were able to be automatically notified of a students need for ODS. As of know, it is up to the student to contact each professor and meet with each professor.</p>

<p>If a student needs notes, he informs the professor in the first week or two of the course. If he has a disability that could impact his note taking skills, ODS will help make accommodations. The professor typically makes an announcement that a notetaker is needed. A student volunteers by contacting the professor after the announcement is made. The students act anonymously throughout the entire exchange. </p>

<p>The volunteer receive a $50 Bama Cash credit per class that he volunteers. </p>

<p>I believe the professor makes the final determination in the event that multiple people volunteer. </p>

<p>@mom2collegekids, to answer your question, @KeithS4789 said correctly. I happened to volunteer in my first chemistry class when a note-taker was requested, and now every semester I’m sure to email my professor before classes start so that I can help out if needed. The $50 (per student rather than per class) is a nice little bonus! </p>

<p>Typically the professor will reach out to the class about note-takers, at which point they will give the selected note-taker a form with the student’s name on it so that they can sign it and turn it in to the ODS office. Then the professor will put the students in touch with each other. I currently send all of my notes through email, but I have delivered printed copies before.</p>