Discussion on the Ramification of Grade Deflation at McGIll

McGill is not unlike any other Canadian universities….grade deflation is not unique to McGill. It happens at UBC, U of Toronto and other institutions across Canada!
I have both a pharmacy degree from Canada (BS) and one from UNC (PharmD). Granted I was at two different stages of my life, I have 2 very different GPA! I can speak to this! Canada has a different mentality and there is no hand holding, reminders, etc

I have 2 kids at McGill and the oldest is a senior. Her GPA is excellent in BioEngineering. She is looking at grad schools and Duke is in the differential although, she seems to want to remain in Canada.
All this to say, if you decide to go to Canada, you have to accept the rules of the game. You also need to consider your child’s personal growth and McGill fosters indépendance! My kids thrive there!
Good luck!

5 Likes

I recommend that any applicants or their parents who are concerned about McGill after reading this thread go to the Niche website and search for McGill. Read the comments from current students. They are for the most part very positive, but they do not shy away from the academic rigor and lack of hand holding there.

i would post a link but CC frowns on that.

1 Like

Thanks for that recommendation Tom, because it is anxiety producing to know your child is going to be somewhat handicapped by the grading policy at McGill vis-a-vis an average student going to a Colgate per se. I would describe the oft repeated “non hand holding” descriptor as a very positive spin on the situation, the message sure seems like tough love which is good for your student right? You’re not getting your hand held, there shall be scant career services (we can accept that surely as trade off on the good tuition price in USD) and in fact if you’re an average student we’re hanging a 2.8 on your Transcript, not a 3.5. The attitude and heartfelt defenses of this antiquated policy that most Unis and even feeder schools in their orbit is:

1. we will let you deal with those consequnces on your own, so you can grow up, it will be good for you.
  2. Everyone HR department and Grad School, in the world should hire consultants to suss through what schools are outlier grade deflaters in 2022, so that no one creates buckets of applicants where people below say a 3.0 get shifted, not to the garbage can, but in a top down selection process, into lets just say a “secondary pile”. Apparently according to one poster, this happens when setting up cheap Polish middle office and back office operations, or in Hyderabad India…

To my mind, if you graduate McGill with a 2.8 you may want to keep Poland and Hyderabad in mind for employment or grad school, where there is no hand holding and engineers make $11,000 USD equiv per year.
3. No way McGill should change THEIR policy, to accommodate “US” students. Ok, so wait you now acknowledge this is a TERRIBLE problem that’s built up over the last two decades, but basically its just a US student problem right? but what about Canadian students, should they not have better mobility to move to Chicago, or San Francisco as many prior generations of McGIll grads have? Is this the penalty to hang on their necks to, should they want to explore beyond the borders of La Belle Province?
4. Is anyone aware, if any prestitious private schools in the U.S. or boarding schools etc… that used to give out strict grades, because essentially they could b/c the elite universities always held X number of spots for them for decades, as they would rank each schools students against their own grads, have those days changed much? Have schools thrown in the towel on that and stopped hurting their own, once they realized they were hurting their own, now that their students were competing in the general pool at Harvard , Yale, Chicago, against the public school kids, and lumped together? I.e. once MIT informed them that they didn’t hire a consultant that told them that a 3.3 at ACME Private, is as good as a 3.9 at Susan B. Anthony Public School.?

Good discussion. It seems that some here, are concerned for McGIll that we are having this discussion, and on the eve of decisions. To this bit of anxiety, i hope you realize and maybe you do if this describes your anxiety, that discussing this issue, brings it to light for more people and creates an awareness of the grade deflation, and such awareness acts as a balast in and of itself against the pressures inherintly produced by said out of step deflation - the more press the merrier, should McGill not want to change this, so discuss away I say. Its good for McGIll.

And if they happen to change, all that will happen is that they can charge perhaps as much as $20,000 CAD more per year from US applications for tuition in unregulated programs if they want, and if they care to, they will find that over time their applicant pool from the U.S. at least and probably elsewhere will swell - Its a win win for the students AND the institution potentially.

If the question gets asked enough, by enough concerned constituents of the University, then perhaps some McGill administrators will realize that this questions needs to be asked of themselves, as it has been asked of other institutions elsewhere. Perhaps hire some consultants to help out in the pros cons analysis. IMHO the negatives include, seeming to bend to the desires and aspirations of aspirational folk from the “U.S.” primarily, and that is a negative. But the postivies are myriad if they can put on their big boy pants and realize that change in this case, is a win win

Isn’t there a way to hang internal grades on these kids, if there is some desire to have an old fashioned distribution of grades from the 1950’s? Have an internal distribution of grades, and transcripts for distribtuion are all curved up to not harm the kids? Others have suggested to distribtue a class rank, but that may not help anymore as I think the other great universities have even stopped doing that, as they realize just how hard it is to get admitted to these good schools nowadays, that they don’t want to hang any scarlet letters on their grads - they have decided to let admission and then graduation for their fine institution to speak for itself.
McGill we urge you to please conduct thoughtful self examination on this question. Qui Bono ?

There’s still been no evidence of serious consequences of these practices, even for US students.

Can you reference this post? I haven’t read anything to this effect.

Again, please reference this post. I know I have suggested this may be an issue for US students, but nowhere have I suggested this is a TERRIBLE [caps yours] problem. You’re making a straw man argument.

Who is the “we” you speak for? It’s not me. (And, pedantically, it’s cui bono.)

You’ve referred to anxiety in a number of places; I think you need to take a step back and reflect on how much your anxiety is coloring your reactions here. Importantly, I think you need to consider how your student is being affected by your anxiety. Thus far, you haven’t discussed your child’s thoughts on the matter- this despite quite a bit of text.

1 Like

This is just absurd. The McGill administration is not ‘intentionally harming’ their graduates. They are not getting pleasure from making life harder for their students. From their point of view they are maintaining academic standards, not just handing out participation trophies. Canadians- that is, the people who pay the taxes that fund the university- understand what a McGill degree represents. Canadian graduate schools understand what a McGill result represents.

And, surprise: :US grad schools do not simply apply US gpa metrics to students applying from outside the US. As @blossom pointed out, grading scales vary a lot around the world- and US universities know this! I know HLS / HBS students admitted from other countries with gpas that convert to under 2.0 on the US scale. This is so familiar that the AOs at the name brand unis know the scales from the most familiar countries (such as Canada, UK, India, China) off the top of their heads. As @inforapound noted, there is no reason - or need!- for the unis in any country to “get in line” with US expectations.

McGill is attractive to US students for a lot of reasons, including the fact that it has a simpler admission rubric (which you see as a negative), allows more specialization than US colleges, is cost-efficient, is in a great city, and has a name with more caché than many students will be able to get through the US ‘holistic’ approach. As with any school, there are trade-offs, and it’s up to potential applicants to consider them as part of the decision process.

eta: you don’t “know your child is going to be somewhat handicapped” down the road…but I am wondering is the prompt for all of this rather emotional posting is that you have a first year student at McGill whose first term marks were disappointing?

1 Like

1000x Yes! I’ve yet to understand why the OP believes that because this is a situation that evokes anxiety in him, McGill should alter their practices. A large university in a country/province foreign to him, should actively work to relieve the OP’s own anxiety on this point, rather than the OP having to simply chalk this up as a big CON on his own analysis of pros and cons? There’s literally been no evidence presented of harm done.

(Anecdotally on the flip side, my daughter was just offered a summer tech internship, with the interviewer excitedly reacting to her McGill acceptance. She hasn’t even accepted yet :smile: )

1 Like

I have a close friend who got her engineering degree in Canada. She reports that students were happy to just pass their classes. No one was worried about getting As. She had no problem finding a job and later going to a top business school for her MBA in the US.

I also have family in various countries in Europe. It’s common place for students to fail college courses, no one worries about it, and they just retake them. It’s just a different system.

In my opinion, it’s comparing apples to oranges to look at the US system vs other countries, even our northern neighbor.

4 Likes

The OP has expressed a PoV. Several times. 11 other users have disagreed with the PoV with no users agreeing. As this thread is just going around in circles, I see no value in keeping open. If the OP wants to protest McGill’s grading policies, I gladly provide the following as contact info.

https://www.mcgill.ca/secretariat/secretariat-team

3 Likes