Diversity Fly In Advice/Question

<p>If you are accepted into fly in programs that overlap, do you tell the one that you decline the reason you cannot attend or just decline without a reason?</p>

<p>Yes, it is a good problem to have but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot or blackball myself with one school or another.</p>

<p>Finally, is proper 'Etiquette' that you notify programs you have applied to that you CANNOT attend before receiving a decision, if a conflict has come up since you applied?</p>

<p>HSG</p>

<p>I am in this situation also. Although I would be able to go to the second trip (its the day right after the first) I can’t because my parents don’t want me to miss school. I declined after I got accepted because I didn’t think I’d get in, but it’s better to withdraw your app before decisions if you know for sure you can’t go.</p>

<p>I have a child who has conflicting fly in offers also. Our advice was to visit the the college she otherwise might not have a chance to see (though my husband felt it wise to visit the one she was most interested in).</p>

<p>Either way, we want her to choose between the two asap and release the spot she cannot attend so that someone else can have the opportunity.</p>

<p>And yes…it is a very nice problem to have. Be grateful above all else (and proud of yourself, as these offers are indeed highly competitive).</p>

<p>T</p>

<p>hsgrad…Did you end up sending a “Sorry, but I can’t…” letter to the college that offered you the second trip? Same situation as you, and the deadline is fast approaching for response.</p>

<p>Not HSgrad here, but a parent. Our child did indeed send an email declining the spot. The sooner the decline goes in, the better, was our thought. You don’t want to leave a bad taste in the mouths of the admissions folks or burn any bridges. Decline so that they can offer it to someone else(as hsgrad mentioned) or at least remove you from the list and stop sending you planning trip email, etc.
The biggest conflict seems to be in November with Wesleyan, Bryan Mawr, Bowdoin, Pomona and a few others all falling within days of one another. There are students who have decline one or more in favor of another. It is a shame to apply, get in, then turn it down. But the ‘odds’ encourage kids to apply to more than one.
Also, we told our child to call or email and remove her name from the applicant pool of another fly in where the results are not in as she has already committed to a fly in that needed a decision last week that occurs on the same weekend of the one she was waiting on.
T</p>

<p>p.s. At all cost, try not to commit and then decline. Not only is that poor manners, but your parents (or you) will be likely stuck reimbursing the college unless you have a true last minute emergency (vs. a change or heart or ‘better offer’).</p>