Do I have a chance of getting accepted?

<p>I am ranked 27/88 (top 30%) with a 88 gpa. Sat score of 1590. I attend a magnet school and will have taken 11 AP courses by the end of the year. I am involved in six extracurricular activities and about 110 community service hours. I plan on majoring in geography. Wondering if I have a chance on getting accepted.</p>

<p>Looks good, have you considered taking the ACT?
Are you a junior or senior?</p>

<p>I’m a senior.</p>

<p>Does the 1590 include your writing score.</p>

<p>It looks like your chances depend on your answer to cromette :p</p>

<p>It includes my writing</p>

<p>With your current stats, I think your chances are slim. That doesn’t mean it can’t happen. It would be great if you could test again, ACT or SAT.</p>

<p>Don’t take the SAT again - it would require studying.</p>

<p>The ACT doesn’t require studying! Just go QUICKLY.</p>

<p>That SAT score maps to about the 62nd percentile – that’s about a 22 on the ACT. It is unlikely that you will get admitted with that score. </p>

<p>The ACT has more questions per minute than the SAT and does not punish ‘guessing’/wrong answers like the SAT. If you read & process information quicker than average, then maybe the ACT is better for you. If not and/or if you feel comfortable with the SAT, then stick with it. Neither test is better than the other: they are just different. </p>

<p>Often people experience a material bump up the second time they take one of these tests (either ACT or SAT). Whichever test you decide to take, put in the time to practice. Repetition increases the odds that you’ll give the best account of yourself possible. </p>

<p>So, it is very possible that you could score several points higher on the SAT the second time around. It is also possible that the ACT is more ‘your style’ and that you’d score at a higher percentile. Most people score roughly the same percentile on both, but not everybody. </p>

<p>All of my kids scored 2-4 points higher on the actual ACT exam than they did on their first full, timed, proctored practice test. Practice exams do help. </p>

<p>In addition, my youngest had a section score jump 7 points from the April ACT to the June – and this was after taking 3-4 practice tests to prep for the April exam. There is some variation from one test to the next. Perhaps your 1590 was just a ‘bad day’? Think of it this way, since many, many people take it 2, 3, or 4 times, you are at a slight disadvantage taking it only once.</p>