Do I have a shot at A&M out of state?

<p>Hey guys, I'm a California resident and Texas A&M really interests me, because it seems to have a great campus, and also there's the fact that I have relatives living in Texas, not that it matters. I'll most likely be applying for electrical engineering, so I realize that it might be impacted. </p>

<p>I have a 3.2 GPA UW, but I've taken a rigorous courseload with just about every academic class being AP or Honors. By the way, does A&M recalculate GPAs differently? Do they give extra points for AP and Honors courses? I know schools in California, such as the UCs and CSUs do it, but that's off topic.
My SAT score is 1830(Math 630, Writing 610, Reading 590, for a 1220 total for CR+M) and I plan on getting a 27-28 on the ACT. I'll write numerous essays if I have to.
I got a 4 on AP European History, a 2 on AP English Language and composition, a 3 on AP Calculus AB, and a 4 on AP US History. I'll be taking AP Calculus BC and AP English Literature next year for a grand total of 6 AP Classes during my High School tenure.
I have a bit of volunteering experience, but it's not that much. I have a part time job at a local supermarket though. I'm in 2-3 clubs at school, but I'm not very active in them. I've gotten Honor Roll awards every year at school as well. I was on my school's Badminton team for a year too. </p>

<p>Thanks to anyone that puts any input into this thread! I really appreciate it.</p>

<p>As your major will be very competitive and your time to improve is now limited, the best way to improve your credentials is through test scores.</p>

<p>For weighting AP/Honors courses, check your school’s weighting policy. Generally schools will send off the weighted GPA/transcript to the college so that you have the best possible chance of admittance. A&M does not do the GPA calculation–your school does.</p>

<p>A&M doesn’t focus too strongly on the writing section of the SAT and generally sees 600s in Math and Reading as “successful” benchmarks. Consider taking the SAT again–your Reading score is *just so close<a href=“I’d%20recommend%20waiting%20a%20little%20bit%20into%20the%20school%20year;%20I%20took%20my%20first%20SAT%20in%20July%20and%206%20months%20later%20was%20able%20to%20get%20the%2090%20points%20I%20needed”>/i</a>.</p>

<p>From your scores and your personal estimates, I think the SAT is your stronger test. As with A&M and preferring 600s, they prefer 30+ on the ACT.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, your AP scores aren’t that fantastic. Hopefully your class grades will be effected by weighting and up your GPA. Here’s the AP credit list for A&M: <a href=“http://mars.tamu.edu/testingsite/PDFfiles/AP.PDF[/url]”>http://mars.tamu.edu/testingsite/PDFfiles/AP.PDF&lt;/a&gt;
Use your AP Lit class as a preparatory for your SAT reading score.</p>

<p>I don’t know if [academic</a> admits](<a href=“http://admissions.tamu.edu/freshmen/gettingin/waysAdmitted/academic.aspx]academic”>http://admissions.tamu.edu/freshmen/gettingin/waysAdmitted/academic.aspx) apply to out-of-state applicants, but you can call them about it. If you can do it, definitely try to be one. Your GPA may not make it though (I don’t know what your class size is).</p>

<p>And most of all apply early. I’m not sure if A&M does early applications or when that deadline is, but the scholarship applicant deadline is December the 1st. The Class of 2016 was comprised of more than 60% of auto-admits and the time you submit your application is directly related to your chance at admissions. I’ve seen several posts from 10%ers and valedictorians who weren’t able to get in because they waited too long.</p>

<p>FYI: I’m the Class of 2016, a Texas resident, submitted my application last-minute for the scholarship deadline, an academic admit, received my acceptance in early January, 1990 SAT, 30 ACT, 5s and 4s except for WorldHist & Stats, took 2 dual-credit courses, leadership roles, academic competitor, top 20%, 4.0 unweighted, etc, etc. First generation student and I also got into the A&M Honors program.</p>

<p>You may have a shot. You didn’t list your class rank. From what I learned through applying they look at the class rank above GPA and grades. They don’t even look at rigor of your secondary school record. They believe that that will be reflected through your GPA and class rank. If you’re in the top quarter of your class, do what the person above said, improve your SAT scores.</p>

<p>Do not be discouraged if you don’t though. I was accepted to the Engineering program (not my first choice Engineering discipline, though) with a marginal ACT score but an outstanding class rank from a very competitive high school (I was also out of state). </p>

<p>Your ECs will stand out and make sure you write great essays. Do all three of them and get them reviewed by someone before submitting them. Also get recommendation letters. And yes, apply early. The Texas top 10% law makes the review admit category incredibly difficult, so the earlier you apply, the earlier your application will get looked at and the earlier you’ll hear back. Period.</p>

<p>If you share your class rank, though, we’ll probably be able to give you a better chance. Were you top 25%? Top 10%?</p>

<p>Shouldn’t have forgotten my class rank lol. I’m in the top 18%</p>

<p>~90/482</p>

<p>Alright, so top quarter. Here is what I am suggesting to you:</p>

<p>Get your SAT score up if you think you can. In order to be a guaranteed academic admit you need to be top 25% of your class with a 30 ACT or a 1300 SAT with a minimum 600 on math and reading. What this means is that you cannot get a 750 on Math and get a 550 on Critical Reading. </p>

<p>If you find you cannot improve your test scores and you cannot improve your class rank, just build the best application you can. I retook the ACT several times and got the same score each time. I fell into the review category but had such a strong application that I was accepted mid-December. So do not be discouraged if you do not raise your test scores. It’s just that your class rank and SAT scores don’t stand out. Good luck.</p>

<p>Does anyone know how TAMU admissions evaluates an out of state applicant whose school does not calculate class rank?</p>

<p>Howdy Lakers and jroback!</p>

<p>Since I don’t work in Admissions, I don’t have definitive answers for you, but I can give you some good contact information:</p>

<p>Resources and Contact Info
TAMU FAQ Website (Aggie Answers):
tamuoar.custhelp.com
-Great Source for info</p>

<p>TAMU Admissions (Aggieland Prospective Student Center):
(979) 458-0950
Jayson Naiser
jnaiser at tamu dot edu</p>

<p>Best,</p>

<p>Jon Kotinek
Associate Director
Honors and Undergraduate Research</p>