Do lower tier UCs reject overqualified people?

<p>Just wondering, a lot of people from UCSC have been rejected with stellar stats, while lower GPA/SAT applicants have been admitted. That’s not to say that all high-performing students have been rejected, but there’s definitely quite a few of them.</p>

<p>Do the UCs reject people if they feel that someone is too “overqualified” for a particular campus?</p>

<p>Not in the past, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the campuses pay more attention to getting higher yield (greater % of admitted students enroll - it helps raise the ranking). A lot of students suspected that Davis placed overqualified applicants on waitlist and required a waitlist statement in order to handpick interested students to be admitted. I can’t see why UCSC would rejected overqualified applicants outright. But I can see UCSC selecting applicants who are “good fit” with the campus … they are a rather unique bunch.</p>

<p>My son, who was applying to UCs four years ago, got into UCLA (with offer of regents) UCB, and UCSD. He got turned down by UCSC. Before he got denied he got a letter from the scholarship people saying he was in the top 1% of the applicant pool and to apply for regents. (Maybe if he had applied, they would have accepted him?) It was his ultimate safety.</p>