Documents needed for International (Russia) student to transfer

but how i can be local with L2 visa or F1

“Local” refers to your residential location, not your citizenship status. Once you move, you can prove your home address by showing a ultility bill, house/apartment rental agreement or mortgage statement, etc. The admissions office should be able to help you with a list of documentation they need.

As @aunt_bea said, I believe whoever you spoke to did not actually understand your situation. You do have an acceptable “diploma” from your home country… it is a system with multiple tracks that is different from the US so probably was not understood by the person you communicated with.

@Motherprof Do you have suggestions to help the OP when communicating with WCCCD Admissions?

I wish you well, @d1m. Please do not get discouraged.

1 Like

after i get to the usa i will stop being an international student?

That might depend on your visa status. You mentioned F-1 in an earlier post, and if you need a F-1 sponsorship, you will always be considered an international student. I don’t know the rules around L-2 visas. Also, I looked at at WCCCD website and anyone who can’t show that they were educated (secondary level) in the US or another English speaking country will need to take the TOEFL.

I do not have experience in this area so I called WCCCD and explained the situation. I am going to DM you (look for green circle in upper right of the page) a contact email who is used to working with international students. The people in admissions who routinely answer calls do not understand the process for international students.

I don’t know how soon you will be relocating, but they did mention that it may be easier for you to make an appointment at the admissions office to complete your application in person so that they can help you. They will need to evaluate your transcripts from your previous schools to completely answer what requirements must be met for you to enroll. Most likely TOEFL and perhaps others to prove basic proficiencies.

Best of luck!

3 Likes

No, I don’t, since I’m not well familiar with the US community colleges. But it sounds like you’ve already done some amazing work to help OP. Hopefully, his family will have some local contacts, after they’ve relocated, to help them navigate the system.

3 Likes

It might also be easier to get certified translations of your transcripts and any earned diplomas before you leave. I’m sure it is possible here, but may be more expensive. Just something else to consider.

Agree!
Once you get to the US, be willing to ask questions and make sure you use the internet to research information on the websites about cost of attendance for newly “international students”.

Good catch! Per the WCCCD International admissions requirements

Official high or secondary school transcript/certificate:
All foreign Secondary School and College credentials not in English must be evaluated by Educational Credential Evaluation (ECE), World Education Services (WES) or SpanTran.

For Secondary School credentials: If selecting ECE, you must request the General Evaluation report. If selecting WES, you must request the Document-by-Document Evaluation.

1 Like

You said that you are on an L-2 visa. L is usually for intra-company transfers or expat assignments. If that is your family’s situation, you should have access to a relocation agency with a local agent in the US city/area you are relocating to. See if they can help you navigate this. Often the transferring company will pay for credential evaluation of family members (like WES, ECE, etc.). These services are expensive.
Community colleges’ grasp of foreign education is often sketchy. Take up @DramaMama2021 's suggestion and use her contact. Good luck!

1 Like