Documents needed for International (Russia) student to transfer

Hello

I’m from St. Petersburg, Russia, and I’m 20 years old. My family is relocating now to Detroit area. I have graduated from mid school in Russia in 2018 (education period was 2009-2018). After graduation from school, I have entered Radio and Electronics college based in St. Petersburg Polytechnical University in Russia. My specialization was metrology. I attended the studies during 2018-2021. Then I made a decision to change the college and I have entered the Academy of Mechanical engineering in St. Peterburg (this is also a college) for the specialization of technician in automotive industry. I should get the Diploma in summer 2023 but I’m afraid that my family will have to leave Russia earlier.

I’d like to enter in the college. Could you please inform me what documents should I provide and what is approximate cost of study per year?

Many thanks in advance.

Regards

1. To transfer here, you will need to apply to whatever colleges you choose. You will need to provide all of the transcripts for ALL of the previous college courses you have taken.

2. What kind of visa will you have when you relocate here?

3. You will not have instate residency status anywhere in this country. Your costs per year will exceed $45,000 a year. Maybe more. In addition, you might not be eligible to receive need based aid at many colleges…and because you will be a transfer student no merit aid either.

4. @happymomof1 would that education USA place be of any help and do they have any contact for students in Russia?

5. @MYOS1634 any ideas??

Visa L2. Can i go to community college without high school diploma?

You haven’t completed high school?

Many community colleges here do have open enrollment…but you will be paying out of area cost to attend.

I don’t have any expertise in colleges in Detroit or international transfers, but I think your first step would be to find colleges in the area that offer what you want to study. Each college website should have a section for international students. For example, Wayne State has this page which goes into details about what they need.

Each college should have an office for international students. If you have questions, you can contact them. Again, using Wayne State as an example,

I only have a mid school diploma (grade 9) and I can take my 4 year college grades! but as I understand without a high school diploma, i cant go to community college?

Just to clarify for people not familiar with the post-Soviet educational system. In the post-Soviet space, you can either do a full elementary-middle-high school course of study (11 years) and then enter a university or you can stop after 9 years and enter a vocational school or a “college” that is step below a university and provides some specialized training (e.g., nursing, music education, some technical disciplines) along with basic high school courses. The OP seems to have chosen that latter path. I’m not sure how this would translate into the US system, though.

3 Likes

The Wayne County Community College District (Detroit area) is open admission for those who are age 18 or over or have a high school diploma or GED certificate, according to Student Services Admission . US government financial aid requires the latter, but most non-US citizens other than permanent residents are not eligible, according to Federal Student Aid .

Four year universities that you may want to transfer to after community college may have their own rules.

I just want go to community college :sob:

Since you are 20 years old, you can enroll in Wayne County community colleges without a high school diploma or GED.

excuse me! but were did you find this information?

Your best bet is to enroll in Community College, finish an associate’s degree, then transfer into a 4 year university and finish your bachelor’s degree. It is a totally possible pathway for you. Make sure you do very, very well in community college and you will have some options afterward.

" Admission to WCCCD

Wayne County Community College District (WCCCD) practices an “open door” admission policy. To be considered for admission to the District, applicants must be 18 years of age or older or must have completed high school or hold a General Education Development (GED) Certificate."

WCCCD - Student Services Admission.

The important word is OR.

2 Likes

“Wayne County Community College District (WCCCD) practices an “open door” admission policy. To be considered for admission to the District, applicants must be 18 years of age or older or must have completed high school or hold a General Education Development (GED) Certificate.”

It took me less than a minute to find it. Most community colleges, in the US, have similar admissions policies, but you have to check to confirm it.

1 Like

Yes, @worriedmomucb is correct. The operative word is “OR”.

Either you must be 18 years of age to attend, OR you have to have a completed diploma or GED.

In the US, some students want to complete their high school education BEFORE the age of 18. Those are the students who are required to have a diploma or GED.

Because you are over 18, you don’t need a diploma or GED to be admitted.
The main thing you want to focus on is admission is open to anyone age 18 or older.

2 Likes

And that you can afford to pay the costs…as a non-resident.

2 Likes

@d1m Please contact the WCCD admissions office directly. WCCCD - Steps to Enroll
Ask them what you need to do. They will tell you exactly what you need to do. They might want you to send copies of your secondary school and your college transcripts. You also need to find out what English placement exams they accept. You might need to study English for a semester or two before you can take credit classes.

Depending on the career you want to have, the program might be in the Continuing Education division. Read about those programs here: WCCCD - School of Continuing Education

Best wishes for a smooth move to Michigan!

3 Likes

@d1m It will also depend whether you want to transfer any classes you already took in Russia or start from the beginning. If you want to transfer classes, you need to have your Russian college transcripts evaluated by an international service like WES. It can take a few months.

sorry, but I was very upset today and in this college they said that without a diploma, schools take only locals, I don’t fall under their number, unfortunately

When you move there, you will be local. You can attend because their site says “open door and 18 years of age”. It is a public community college. The only difference is that you will have to pay non-resident fees for at least a year. If they try to tell you something else, then I would speak to the administration. Whoever spoke to you must be lacking in their knowledge of their admission policies according to their website.

They receive federal funding from the US government (i.e. FAFSA). If they receive ANY funding from the government, even if those government dollars don’t directly apply to you, the federal rules will apply to every applicant; their school can’t restrict your attendance, at a public community college.

1 Like