Does Grinnell require a supplemental essay?

Does Grinnell require a supplemental essay? I can’t seem to find it anywhere on their website or on the common app.

Did you add Grinnell as one of your schools?It should pop up under “Writing Supplement”, I believe it was listed as “Optional” when D18 applied. They will also list writing supplements in the help section if you type in the school.

From what I have heard, the (optional) supplement request comes via email after an application is submitted. Possibly weeks or months later? There is no Grinnell supplement as part of the CA itself.

Yes, kbm770 is right. The short (100 words) optional supplement request came by email after my daughter submitted her application last December.

it depends on whether you apply early decision or regular decision. most (all?) early decision candidates do not receive the option to write the “optional” supplemental essay, but virtually all regular decision candidates do.

i say “optional” because grinnell uses it to gauge your interest in the school. grinnell has no application fee, no (actual) supplemental essays, and now no longer requires ACT/SAT scores, so demonstrated interest will, in my personal opinion, be considered extremely, extremely important this cycle.

Does anyone know if they’re emailing the optional supplement this year? My D21 applied RD in early November and interviewed at the end of November. She has not seen a request for a supplement.

Not sure about this admission cycle, but it came in early January for my daughter as far as I remember.

1 Like

Thanks. I asked our D to look for it earlier this week. Glad to know she hasn’t missed anything!

It might have even been mid-January, but definitely not in December, and it was due in mid-February if memory serves me right. So, if things are the same this cycle, she definitely hasn’t missed anything. Good luck!

1 Like

Kid got the email today re the 100-word Why Grinnell supplement. Says it’s due March 1 if applicant chooses to submit.