Does this bother anyone else?

<p>This post truly reflects my family’s experience. I’m the parent of two Hispanic girls in largely white schools. My oldest daughter was told by her precalc teacher in the fist few weeks of class that she should drop out of her class and take an easier class. Not only did my daughter prove the teacher wrong but went on to get an award from the math department. Later, my daughter was accepted at Stanford University, Washington University in St Louis and other top schools. But not.before her school counselor suggested that she apply only to the local public schools saying that she shouldn’t apply to top schools. and other</p>

<p>I know that this thread was created inorder to highlight black stereotypes in academics, but I am mexican and I am highly interested in mathematics. In every EC activity involving math that I participate, I am usually the only hispanic present. Currently I attend a summer math program in my city and I got accepted into the highest level. One of the things that I heard on the first day was “Look, a mexican beating the stereotype. I did not think I would ever live to see it”. Comments like these push me and keep me going. I am proud to be who I am.</p>

<p>I’m feeling this thread, guys. </p>

<p>One of the worst things that has ever been said to me was when one of my “friends” said “you are the ONLY high class black person I know.” It just goes to show how oblivious such a large segment of our population is of the plight and history of blacks in this country. It’s deeply worrisome to know that so many people fail to recognize the state of blacks as being independent of the color of their skin, but rather as being a by-product of limiting social constructs and institutionalized corruption.</p>

<p>Ugh.</p>

<p>Isn’t it kind of like people saying “And Asian bad at math? NO WAY!”. Stereotypes are what they are…you can’t blame someone for being ignorant. Well, you could, but can take the high-road and ignore it. :)</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>The high road does not involve turning a blind eye to opportunities to fight oppression. That’s cowardly.</p>

<p>calling me an Oreo will lead to a Joe Frazier left hook. Honestly though, my white friends are the ones to call me an Oreo. All of my black friends cheer me on, they ask about how I did on SATs, tests etc. They even call me Mr. Harvard. my school is in the murder capital of New York, half of the kids are minorities. Maybe this is why they are so supportive. I guess some people can’t fathom an intelligent black man smh</p>

<p>Omggg, I get this all the time!!</p>

<p>Sent from my Zio using CC</p>

<p>It depends on how they say it and who they are. If they are a sincere person, then I take it as a compliment, but if they “stuck up”, then I take it as sarcaam. Usually for me, Asians are the ones I take it as sarcasm instead of Caucasians because many of them at my school are stuck up. This is just how I feel.</p>

<p>I’ve been called all of them at one time or another—but I’d rather take that as a teaching moment and pass a backhanded jab of my own–that is too much for them to understand in that moment. It’s one of those that hits them three days later and makes them cringe.</p>

<p>what is more troubling this year is the lack of minority representation at many of the large state universities which seem to funneling minorities out to the two-year programs or satellite campuses.</p>

<p>It’s sad to see that this has happened to others as well. Usually the comments I got were just “You don’t act black” or “You’re the whitest black guy I know”. I learned to ignore those, but since college application season has come up it has been getting much worse. White and Asian people in my class suggest that it’s just oh so much easier for me because I’m black. They say that as if I haven’t been neck and neck or even surpassed them in academics. Luckily I have great teachers who have shut them down every time those students felt the need to spew their ignorance. And as for fellow African Americans abasing one another, that has never happened to me. If anything, I’ve received more support from them. When I was named a National Achievement SemiFinalist, it was not the white or Asian students congratulating me ( if anything there was animosity present) but black students with whom I had hardly been acquainted.</p>

<p>Whenever it becomes said that I am a national merit semifinalist, people always think that I just won the national achievement one. Even at the school board meeting where they recognized us, they accidentally only put me down for National Achievement but not for National Merit. </p>

<p>I could just imagine my classmates thinking for a few minutes that I had lied to them, and everyone thinking as National Achievement winners were recognized that I hadn’t really earned it, that it was just an affirmative action thing. I didn’t feel proud of myself like I should have.</p>

<p>But we corrected them just before the school board meeting began, so even though the pamphlets didn’t have my name on them, I was recognized as a National Merit guy with everyone else who earned it.</p>

<p>yes, this happens to me too! i am a latina. and i get the same statements. it is sad that in our day in age…we are still dealing with such dumb comments. it is a form of racism. i know some don’t mean this…but it is racism nonetheless. </p>

<p>one day in heaven…racism will finally be diminished.</p>

<p>See, Imo, I think these people know exactly what they’re doing when they say these things. How could you not? It’s kind of common sense. :&lt;/p>

<p>^Yeah Same. </p>

<p>I hate that they just think it is a joke…</p>

<p>Or if they deem you “sensitive” when you dare to take offense to the “joke.”</p>

<p>I so wish I could show this thread to all those people!</p>

<p>Right? It might help them understand…</p>

<p>Totally agree with this… I just give them the death stare lol</p>

<p>It is not easy being a intelligent, hardworking black student. Not easy at all. You’ve got to see through the bitter and condescending racism. You’ve got to keep on moving forward no matter what.</p>

<p>Okay, why am I just now finding this thread? I feel as if every post applies to my life…good to know I am not alone.</p>