Does this bother anyone else?

<p>No one would dare say it around here. I live in an especially politically correct part of the country.</p>

<p>This thread sums up my life! I’ve always felt as I am “less than” because when I break through the stigmas of my race and achieve success in the classroom, people are so SHOCKED. Or, get this, “Oh you applied there? You’re black you can get in.” It’s a little disheartening when you pour your heart and soul into an application for a premier school, and you have to deal with the fact that even if you do get in, it’ll be because you’re black, not because they can see and appreciate your true intellectual merit.</p>

<p>^ This.
It has gotten to the point where I refrain from even mentioning what schools I’m applying to in front of non blacks. o_____O</p>

<p>^^While I don’t like race-based affirmative action, I find myself empathizing very well with this.</p>

<p>People always tell me, “I’m not black”. Am I suppose to be ghetto? Are black people suppose to be ghetto? Really, because the greatest black figures in history were educated and not “ghetto”. I rather be educated and determined like MLK and Frederick Douglass, than be wasting my life away in the “hood”. Smh.</p>

<p>i get this all the time too. its frustrating being called white-washed or not black because you dont fit some archaic black stereotype. often people who say that to me arent trying to be malicious or rude, just ignorant. the only thing we can do is call them out on it and explain that those stereotypes are over-generalized, and keep doing what were doing haha. yay education! lol</p>

<p>I’ve never had this problem in my life. Never encountered anything like it.</p>

<p>

I’m a first-year in college, and people still tell me this. It’s almost as if they’re surprised that I’m never dressed in club attire and am articulate when speaking, which to them just screams “acting white.”
My college is around 50% black and Hispanic (similar to my high school), yet I’m still one of a handful of black people in my classes, with the exception of my large history class (and probably the only Hispanic, too, but that I can’t assume). Whenever a professor hands a test or exam back to me, I hear whispers from the black people behind me telling me how much of a “white girl nerd” I am because I study hard and receive nothing but A’s. I was in my dorm room playing Childish Gambino, Florence + the Machine, and OneRepublic one night and apparently my suite mate and her friends were outside of her door listening; I heard one of her friends say, “she black? I ain’t hear no black music (Childish Gambino is black, by the way), tell her to put on some Gucci and Flocka! We ain’t tryna hear that [expletive]!” When I was walking back to my dorm room from class one night, this guy walked by me and loudly told me how delicious KFC’s fried chicken was and suggested that I try some; another guy walking beside him yelled and said he didn’t understand why black people liked watermelon and Kool-Aid so much. One of my best friends, who attends the College of Wooster, was lying down gazing at the stars and praying last week when a group of high school-aged boys came up to her and yelled, "I could graduate from the College of Wooster and I STILL won’t have a job! Thanks, Obama! [expletive] [the n word]. [same expletive] [same n word, but plural]!

In high school, I made the innocent mistake of telling one of my good friends that I was going to apply to my dream school (which I never did); instead of wishing me good luck, he simply stated, “you’re black, you’ll get in with a 12 on your ACT! You’ll even get a full ride!” I later found out that he had told a few of our friends that I was applying to my dream school, and that our friends had all decided to apply to the school so they could “beat me” and become accepted “over me.” Needless to say, graduation was the last time we’ll ever speak.
I would love to say “it gets better after high school,” but unfortunately that’s not true for me yet. Hopefully I’ll be singing a different tune after I successfully transfer.</p>

<p>That’s horrible. I’ve never experienced anything as extreme as what you experienced. People can be just so ignorant and stupid. I pay the idiots little attention. They are a waste of space tbh. Continue to get the good grades while the dummies continue to fail. You’ll probably make it further in life than they ever will.</p>

<p>This thread= my life. </p>

<p>Everyday someone feels the need to say you act so white. The smartest black person comment is something I’ve heard pretty often. One girl repeatedly tells me I’m a white black girl, while she is half Japanese, half black. (I’m not saying that’s a negative, but as I am fully black you can imagine my reaction). Another girl wants to check my iPod to see if I listen to black music. People are shocked when I say I love Fall Out Boy, fun., and Mumford and Sons as well as Nas, Jay-Z, and Kanye West (new and old). Others tell me I’m not black because I don’t worship Drake, Lil Wayne, and Nicki Minaj. It’s gotten to the point where I just have to laugh off my anger, but I still end up feeling scared to try new things because I’ll be accused of “trying to be white.” I know that sounds stupid, but the fear of being judged kills me.</p>

<p>One of my mom’s friends told me to be careful if I wanted to be a screenwriter, because it’s a white profession. I want to be an actress/musician now, and I still did myself afraid that I’ll be typecast because I’m black.</p>

<p>Stereotypes just suck, don’t they?</p>

<p>To see the ignorance that you cope with LaChicaBuena makes my heart break. But I truly believe that overcoming those mind-boggingly crude comments from those uncouth individual will prepare you for the injustices of the career force, and will no doubt be successful in whatever field you enter.
I too was discouraged from my dreams to become a stage actress. After 2 leading roles in plays directed by our schools asst. director, the head director thought to shut it down by explaining to me that "black women don’t achieve success in that field because no one is gonna cast a dark-skin girl as Dorothy, or Fantine, or Anna Karenina. Needless to say I am not a part of that theatre organization anymore, but it still stings to know that my talent swaps overlooked simply because of my skin. This upcoming generation of African-Americans is going to be even more revolutionary than the last, so I hope people learn to step out of their ignorant cocoons and stop trying to bridle us.</p>

<p>Like many people have said before me, this thread is so true to my life. I’m called a white boy by nearly everyone: my friends, my family, and even people I don’t know. Here are some reasons for it:</p>

<p>My academic life: This is the main reason why my family (Really just my dad’s side of my family) calls me white. My current GPA is a 3.8 and my report card came this week saying I had 5 A’s, 1 B, and 1 C (In Anatomy&Physiology :’( ), so I am naturally the over-achiever of the family. Out of my dad, uncles, aunts, and many cousins on my dad’s side of my family, only one or two have actually been to college. The rest either have a high school education or dropped out. </p>

<p>My music: I am a rock, pop, dubstep, and metal fan. I do listen to some rap, but it’s a miniscule amount. When people catch me listening to Rammstein, Rise Against, Green Day, Passion Pit, and the many other bands on my iPod, they can’t believe that a black person is actually listening to it! People tell me that I should have more Lil Wayne, Tyga, and Big Sean, but that’s not happening because those are some of the crappiest artist I’ve ever heard!</p>

<p>My articulation: I am very articulate. When people hear me speak, they can’t believe that the voice they heard came from a black body. Around here, people don’t think I speak “black” or “ghetto” enough. I just laugh it off because it doesn’t affect me anymore. </p>

<p>I have been called white ever since the 3rd grade. I have even been called white by my white friends! It just doesn’t bother me anymore. It’s been said so many times that it’s little more than a nuisance.</p>

<p>Sleeeepyheeeeee-eeeee-ead</p>

<p>^^ did I miss something?</p>

<p>haha sleepyhead is a passion pit song. also @chica i know that its off-topic but dont you feel like you can really empathize with childish gambinos music? hes like the one rapper who dosent try to be hood or anything, and has really meaningful lyrics, some of the time… lol</p>

<p>Ohhhhhh okay lol. thanks for the knowledge. Since we’re on the topic of musical preferences, anyone here absolutely adore Florence + The Machine? I went to their concert and almost cried when it was over. But I can’t get past Childish Gambino being on that YouTube vid “Jimmy Poops His Pants” before he became famous. Watch it ;)</p>

<p>I love Donald Glover as a comedian. I haven’t listened to any of his music, though.</p>

<p>Most of my music is K-pop.</p>

<p>@Philovitist and Hellogoodbye13 Sleepyhead is my favorite Passion Pit song lol! Little Secrets would come in second, and I’m starting to come around to Take a Walk. People are crazy for saying that I have to be a certain race to listen to that type of music.</p>

<p>And btw, any Toby Keith, Rage Against the Machine, or Deadmau5 fans here?</p>

<p>THE Toby Keith? <em>raises hand</em> even though I’m technically not allowed to listen to his music because mom finds his songs a bit disturbing with all of the alcohol references…lol</p>

<p>ew, ew, ew</p>

<p>Just a few weeks ago, Passion Pit was all I listened to. I tend to go on these specific artist binges where I do that for a week or so. Then it was Miike Snow. I’m in transition right now.</p>