Does UW-Madison have a similar thing with Maryland

I know that University of Maryland’s engineering program is competitive being the #21 engineering school (USNews), and so they have what is called a LEP (Limited Enrollment Program) where only a select students can get into the university and those who can’t get in do an guaranteed internal transfer as long as they meet some simple criteria. Now I couldn’t find any information about this for Wisconsin, so whoever applies to engineering gets in if they are good enough? or if they dont get in are they atleast accepted to the undecided college and allowed to internally transfer?

I’m fairly certain that admission into engineering at UW is guaranteed, presupposing admission to the university.

Transferring into a specific department has other requirements. (see the website)

@wroblewskij So being a very popular choice for Engineering, they have room for everyone they accept? considering they have a ~50% acceptance rate.

Each uni does it differently, so don’t look to one way as the standard. I think they do take everyone but you have to pass a few prereqs is all. Except for biomedical, that is limited competitive admissions after you are in at UW. This is from memory. I find it hard to believe that you can’t find it online

Yes, as @BrownParent said, everyone is admitted as a EGR student if you check the “engineering student” box on the application. Then, to transfer into a department, you must meet the criteria, which can be competitive.

From the EE handbook:

Admission to a Degree-Granting Classification

To be considered for admission to an academic department in the College of Engineering, a student must
have:

1. Satisfied the General Education Communication Skills Part A requirement.
  2. A minimum of 24 credits.
  3. A minimum of 17 credits of calculus, statistics, chemistry, computer science, statics, and physics
    courses required for an engineering degree. These credits must include Math 222 or Math 276.
  4. A grade point average of at least 2.50 for all math courses 217 and above, statistics courses 224 and
    above, chemistry (all classes), computer science (all classes), EMA 201, and physics courses 201 and
    above. For one and only one of these courses that a student has repeated, the more recent of the two
    grades will be used in the calculation.
  5. A grade-point average at least 2.00 for all courses not included above in Requirement 4.
  6. Successful completion of introductory chemistry (Chem 103/104 or 109 or 116); calculus-based
    mechanics (EMA 201 or Physics 201, 207, or 247); math through Math 222 or Math 276; and either
    InterEGR 101 or 160 or another introduction to engineering class from an approved list.

When the number of qualified applicants exceeds the capacity of the program, admissions will be limited
to that capacity. Under these conditions, admission of students will be based on grade point averages, test
scores, geographical background, personal background, and diversity. This basis for admission is
intended to implement the University’s goals of (1) maximizing the success of students who are admitted
to a program and (2) achieving a heterogeneous and ethnically diverse student body. It is the student’s
responsibility to submit a timely application to the Dean’s office for admission to the degree-granting
classification.

The handbook: http://www.engr.wisc.edu/cmsdocuments/ECE-Undergraduate-EE-Curriculum-Handbook.pdf

Students are admitted to the university as a whole at UW- regardless of proposed major. This is key as you can change your major at any time, presuming you meet the major’s requirements. Some majors do have limited enrollments- including nursing and education as well as some engineering majors because of limited facilities. When you are accepted in a major UW wants to be sure you can get the needed classes.

The engineering requirements are listed above. This means all students interested in engineering need to apply to that after having acceptable UW credentials (likewise students need to meet a given major in other schools/colleges requirements). Notice some programs are limited- you can check a specific major on the UW website.

L&S (Letters and Sciences) is the default school and the largest one. Checking engineering on your application will get you the appropriate advisor for SOAR (summer orientation, advising, registration). Since most of your classes as an entering freshman will be in L&S (math, sciences, breadth reqs) not being in engineering does not matter. The requirements listed above are not strenuous- if you can’t get C’s and B’s or better you have no business majoring in something!

You are used to how Maryland does things. In Wisconsin we may find their ways a bit strange, or at least different.

Don’t count on that overall admission rate of 47.5%. That is skewed because the instate admit rate was 71.8% in 2014, which means the rates for non-WI-residents and internationals is much lower.

I’m an incoming freshman and was admitted to the engineering department, specifically my intended major too. When I talked to my SOAR advisor she said that they had changed it this year to if you applied and got accepted you are directly admitted to your engineering major. We would just have to keep our GPA’s at the requird level for your intended major to stay in.