Dorm Room Insurance: Is it worth getting?

I don’t know but neither kid is telling me they poured beer in it or they dropped it… Lol… My daughter’s was dropped but she didn’t exactly say that. Just the screen is blank… Lol…

You just need someone to write you up a report.

1 Like

D23’s college offered it (via independent agency), and we purchased it- not expensive, great coverage and totally worth the peace of mind!

2 Likes

3 kids in college over the span of several years. All had dorm insurance. It got used twice, once when a laptop was stolen, and once when a guitar was stolen. At least one of the thefts occurred at the end of the term when students were moving out. Lots of unfamiliar faces around helping with the packing and transport. Doors were left unlocked and propped open so there are opportunities for theft. Had to file a report, and provide the insurer a description of the stolen item. Was reimbursed for the replacement cost.
If you can guarantee that the student will never leave a dorm room unlocked, something unattended like laundry, or lose something, then you may not need insurance. Insurance is something that you pay for that you hope you never have to use, in which case, it’s not worth it. But if you need it once…

3 Likes

It’s very easy to spot liquid damage, as many devices have indicators inside if liquid reaches them. That’s exactly what happened when D’s laptop got wet (we think it happened in the plane).

We took it to an Apple Store, and they saw the problem right away when they opened the case. It would have cost $700 to replace the motherboard, and I found we could get a brand-new laptop with better specs for about $300 more. We opted for the new laptop, so the minimum spend for restoring just one device to functionality would have been $700 at a minimum.

For the low price I paid for the policy I just purchased, where this kind of damage is expressly covered, along with a host of other things, it’s definitely worth the peace of mind.

2 Likes

I never did it with the two older kids but did for S23. I guess I hadn’t researched it before, because I had zero interest in insuring against an event in the dorm room. But once I realized that for just over $100 for a year I could also be insured against accidental damage or loss or theft of all his electronic devices (laptop and phone), it seemed like a deal.

3 Likes

That’s 100% my thinking too.

1 Like

OP: In a word, yes!! One year during winter break, the pipes in my dorm froze and our room was inundated with water. Fortunately for me, almost all the damage was on my roommate’s side. She lost a good bit, including a flute. She naively assumed the private dorm would reimburse her and they said, nope, you should have had renter’s insurance. Neither of us even knew that existed! So I made sure all my kids were covered by it at college.

3 Likes

We bought the warranty when we bought kid’s laptop and musical instruments are on an insurance rider. They don’t own anything else of real value.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.