Dr. Bonner's update 10/16/13

<p>[Dr</a> Judy Bonner Issues Progress Report - YouTube](<a href=“Dr Judy Bonner Issues Progress Report - YouTube”>http://parents.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=caf5eaaa74b60f7dcc699f09c&id=6907ccbe4d&e=c5d38a7bd3)</p>

<p>I really, really like this.</p>

<p>+1</p>

<p>Thanks for posting</p>

<p>Nice update. Can somebody please explain to me the difference between the IFC, NPHC, and UGC? I’m a bit confused by the alphabet soup. Thanks.</p>

<p>NPC…traditionally white sororities
IFC…traditionally white fraternities
NPHC…traditionally black sororities
UGC…traditionally black fraternities.</p>

<p>Nat’l Panhellenic Council
Interfraternity Council
Nat’l Pan Hellenic Council
United Greek Council</p>

<p>I hope I’m remembering these right.</p>

<p>INTERFRATERNITY COUNCIL
The Interfraternity Council (IFC) serves as the governing body of the fraternities at The University of Alabama. There are currently 27 fraternities at the Capstone. For more than 150 years, fraternities have stood for excellence in academics, leadership, athletics and service. The University of Alabama is know for its strong Greek system and commitment to excellence. The IFC serves its members by sponsoring several enriching programs throughout the year. IFC constantly works with the Panhellenic Association and National Pan-Hellenic Council to further strength and support the UA Greek systems values and vision.</p>

<p>The National Pan-Hellenic Council, Incorporated (NPHC) is composed of nine (9) International Greek letter Sororities and Fraternities: Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc., Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc., Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, Inc., Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc., Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. and Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc. NPHC promotes interaction through forums, meetings and other mediums for the exchange of information and engages in cooperative programming and initiatives through various activities and functions.</p>

<p>On May 10, 1930, on the campus of Howard University, in Washington DC, the National Pan-Hellenic Council was formed as a permanent organization with the following charter members: Omega Psi Phi and Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternities, and Alpha Kappa Alpha, Delta Sigma Theta and Zeta Phi Beta Sororities. In 1931, Alpha Phi Alpha and Phi Beta Sigma Fraternities joined the Council. Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority joined in 1937 and Iota Phi Theta Fraternity completed the list of member organizations in 1997.</p>

<p>The purpose of The University of Alabama Chapter of NATIONAL PAN-HELLENIC COUNCIL shall be to foster cooperative actions of its members in dealing with matters of mutual concern. To this end, the NPHC promotes the well being of its affiliate fraternities and sororities, facilitates the establishment and development of local organizations within the NPHC and provides leadership training for its constituents.</p>

<p>The Panhellenic Council is the largest women’s organization on campus. It is the governing body of the seventeen National Panhellenic Conference sororities and one associate member sorority. The Panhellenic Council promotes excellence in academics, community and campus involvement, and sisterhood. They are committed to the vision of creating young women of excellence.</p>

<p>The Office of Greek Affairs at The University of Alabama announced the creation of the United Greek Council in March of 2009. This is the fourth Greek governing council on campus. This council would join the Inter-fraternity Council, the Alabama Panhellenic Association and the National Pan-Hellenic Council.</p>

<p>The UGC is currently comprised of two multicultural organizations, which are one sorority and one fraternity: Sigma Lambda Gamma and Sigma Lambda Beta.</p>

<p>The primary purpose of the UGC is to unite its member organizations in order to share ideas and resources, promote mutual respect and equality, and provide a support network for involved students.</p>

<p>From. [Greek</a> Affairs](<a href=“http://Www.greekaffairs.ua.edu%5DGreek”>http://Www.greekaffairs.ua.edu)</p>

<p>I think the UGC is multicultural by design (frats and sororities), and NPHC are the historically AA sororities AND Fraternities…</p>

<p>They each have pages under the Greek Affairs heading.</p>

<p>Wow … she is good … takes things on head on - no excuses - and straight with details … well done.</p>

<p>PS - 14 AA members in a month … that is amazing since I believe only a handful had gone through rush … so, apparently, once the door was opened a bunch of AA women decided to take advantage of the opening.</p>

<p>Fantastic speech. Uplifting, encouraging, and positive!</p>

<p>@3togo: of course more people was going to rush once the door was opened. Some other member on this board tried to say “UA has a strong traditionally AA Greek system I don’t believe the amount of AA women rushing panhellic soroties will ever increase” or something to that effect. Guys I don’t know if you get it or not, but the black Greek system is very niche and is not for everybody.</p>

<p>Kudos not only to the sororities but also to the young women who are willing to perhaps be the only AA currently in a chapter. I’m sure it has taken a little courage for some of these young women to put themselves out there, especially in the light of the media frenzy that was going on.</p>

<p>NPHC - National Pan-Hellenic Council - traditionally black fraternities AND sororities</p>

<p>UGC - United Greek Council - UA has a multi-cultural fraternity and sorority. UGC is their governing body.</p>

<p>It’s all here: greekaffairs.ua.edu/currentmembers.cfm</p>

<p>Very encouraging news, still more to come, I’m sure.</p>

<p>Action over rhetoric. A commitment to “lasting change.” Progress, tempered by a recognition that we have not yet reached our goals. Other universities reaching out to UA for advice on how they can emulate this phenomenon.</p>

<p>Roll Tide, Dr. Bonner!</p>