Early decision offerings

What are some of the offers you are seeing if your child makes early decision to a certain college?

Offers like what? What exactly are you asking about?

Financial aid offers? T-shirt offerings? Certain college? I am 100% serious, the child might’ve stolen the phone.

3 Likes

MSU $15,000 Presidential scholarship with $5,000 study abroad Presidential. Usually with Acceptance to Honors program.

Is this what you are asking about? I am sure a t-shirt is thrown in also :tshirt::joy:

Have any colleges released early decision or early action admissions…for this year? Maybe rolling admissions…but I don’t think the others have been released yet.

If you are asking about past years…both of my kids got car decals with their acceptances…

Some schools offer an additional scholarship for ED students. The ones I’ve seen have been around $800-$1000.

What college(s) is the OP talking about?

Probably refers to such things as promising additional scholarship money to ED applicants.

Some applicants may not want to apply ED because they do not believe that an ED admit will get scholarships which are normally intended to lure admits to the college but are not necessary for that when an ED applicant has already committed to attend. Pre-promising additional scholarship money for ED admits is a way for the college to get over this hesitation by some applicants.

2 Likes

Univ Denver offers additional merit to ED applicants.

MSU - being Michigan or Mississippi State?

Neither has binding ED.

hmmmm - maybe - you’ll see when you see the other offers - but for all you know, they move you down a tier.

Oops. I misread it as EA/RD…

We got an email stating that she would be guaranteed $15,000 a year if she applied ED and was accepted. (Granted, she might get that anyway, but they were explicit)

Hmmm - since many get - I think it’s $33K today - that’s not a lot.

When my daughter applied it was $27K + $3K for the dorm.

Last year I think it was $30K + $3K.

They need to offer something to get people to ED.

It’s a fallback school - from what they actually told me for American of all places. I had a long chat with them. They said Chicago too although I don’t see that.

In the last CDS, they had 224 apps.

Look at a school a fraction of the size - Williams - a small fraction and had more than 3 times the ED apps…over 800.

For DU, it’s a marketing ploy - they need the apps.

It’s got a solid rep but it’s much more an alternative - either for admission or cost due to merit.

But $15K is not what a solid student gets.

You can read last year’s thread to see…

I’m not good at searching but I found this:

Stats: 3.9 UW GPA, Test Optional, 1 Honors, 1 AP
$28,000

But yeah - $15K for them is a savings :slight_smile:

I think for someone who has an aid need - should strongly consider not applying ED…

St. Olaf - what is their potential merit if not ED? @chardonMN - do you know? Is it like Devner - in that # is under most?

3 Likes

St. Olaf has a deal, I think they said 20K if you are accepted ED.

2 Likes

@Golfmama22

Are these answers what you are looking for? Or is your question something different. I hope you will clarify.

1 Like

My D’s rolling admission safety offered her a full tuition scholarship, honors, plus extra money for research and study and abroad. She had that offer in hand in early October. Our experience (many cycles ago now) was that the more selective the college, the fewer “incentives” offered.

I am not sure. Good question!

If you are an athlete, some recruiters will tell the student to go the ED route because you have a better chance at aid. This goes against the common logic. However, if they want you, the pool of aid money is fresh and you get first dibs.

I believe our emails from DU said the $5k was on top of whatever other merit aid the student would otherwise receive. So if the student qualified for their “max” of $33k then the ED 5k would push it up to 38K. I don’t remember the exact numbers as mine aren’t EDing there, but the $5k was in addition to the other money, so those kids would be eligible for 5K more than the max a non-ED kid could get. They definitely didn’t say the max an ED kid would get is lower than they’d get otherwise.