Earn honors credits by teaching kids to play chess

<p>Dear Honors Student:</p>

<p>If you enjoy playing chess and would like to employ your skills in a credit-earning initiative that changes the lives of local children, register for Every Move Counts: A Chess in Education Project (UH 333). An initiative of UA’s Center for Ethics & Social Responsibility, Every Move Counts is a nationally unique service-learning course in which you’ll teach chess in local elementary, middle or high schools while studying the academic and social benefits the game holds for children and its use in creative education-reform efforts across the country.</p>

<p>Credit/Requirements</p>

<p>Every Move Counts is a 2-credit Honors course comprised of classroom instruction and community service at Tuscaloosa schools. The course also carries a Humanities designation. The Spring 2012 class will meet on Thursdays from 9:30 a.m. to 10:45 a.m., and each student also devotes approximately 2 hours per week to teaching children chess (See available time slots below). You do not have to be a great chess player to participate. You just need to understand the basic rules of the game and be able to explain them to kids.</p>

<p>This is a fun and rewarding course, and I hope you can participate. For more information, see <a href=“http://cesr.ua.edu/documents/chess%20brochure.pdf[/url]”>http://cesr.ua.edu/documents/chess%20brochure.pdf</a> and cesr.ua.edu/programsandactivities/everymovecounts.html or contact the UA Center for Ethics & Social Responsibility at <a href=“mailto:cesr@ua.edu”>cesr@ua.edu</a> or 205-348-6493.</p>

<p>Days/times for teaching chess in Tuscaloosa schools:</p>

<p>Tuesdays, 12:45-1:45 (Elementary)</p>

<p>Tuesdays, 2:15-3:45 (Elementary)</p>

<p>Thursdays, 2:15-3:45 (Elementary)</p>

<p>Fridays, 1:45-2:45 (Middle School)</p>

<p>Fridays, 12:45-3:00 (High School)</p>

<p>Thanks so much for your time.</p>

<p>Olivia Grider</p>

<p>research project coordinator</p>

<p>Center for Ethics & Social Responsibility</p>

<p>113 Temple Tutwiler</p>

<p>Box 870168</p>

<p>Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0168</p>

<p>(205) 348-6493</p>

<p>I wish I could take the class! What a great opportunity for both the children and the students teaching.</p>

<p>This is a really cool idea.</p>

<p>My son will LOVE this! Hope they do it next year!</p>

<p>They’ve done it each year for the past few years, so I think it will continue.</p>

<p>I sooo wanted to take this course lol. Great opportunity. Yet another reason why UA is so great.</p>

<p>Do any of you have any experience with this class? Any detail is welcome. Thanks!</p>

<p>Bumping this to see if anyone can add anything this week.</p>

<p>My son took this class last fall, I think, so my details might be fuzzy but he enjoyed it. He went twice a week to a magnet school to teach. He didn’t have a car but they had carpools so that wasn’t an issue. He’s not a real outgoing type so I wasn’t sure how he would do with teaching kids but he had nothing but positive things to say.</p>