Easy Combinations for dual major or major/minor

<p>I was private messaging with another Bama family about easily adding a minor or dual major with certain majors by only adding another 2- 4 courses. I thought it may be fun to have others share input here. Here are some combinations I know:</p>

<p>Electrical Engineering and Physics double major - EE dept even publishes a flow chart</p>

<p>Mechanical Engineering major can add the following minors:
Math - 2 classes in addition to what is required for ME major or
Aero - 3 classes in addition to what is required for ME major</p>

<p>Aerospace Engineering major can add
Math - 2 classes in addition to what is required for AEM or
Mechanical - 2 classes in addition to what is required for AEM </p>

<p>Thank you for this - will be passing it on to my friend who was looking at what else to do with ME. Do you (or anyone else) happen to know how many more classes it would take to double major ME & math?</p>

<p>@AlmostLimitless - double major with ME and Math I think is 6 more courses over ME. </p>

<p>I was trying to stick with only 2-4 courses over intended major. I think this targets kids who were not planning on double major or minor, but will add it if it is just a matter of a few courses.</p>

<p>Some of your students (those who enter wiith extensive credits) could (if carefully orchestrated) graduate with two undergraduate degrees: example a Bachelor of Arts and a Bachelor of Science degree. or if sticking to one major/ minor, they could begin taking some gaduate courses.</p>

<p>BS ChBE (Chemical/Biological Engineering) has a Dual Degree track to obtain a BS in ChBE and Chemistry. Flowchart current as of 2014/2015 catalog is here: <a href=“http://che.eng.ua.edu/files/2012/02/ChBE_FlowChart_Dual_CH_and_CHE_2.pdf”>http://che.eng.ua.edu/files/2012/02/ChBE_FlowChart_Dual_CH_and_CHE_2.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Also, for those majoring in ChBE, you can add a Math minor by taking 2 additional Math courses at the 300 or 400 course level.</p>

<p>UA is a wonderful place to grab those additional minors and majors for the highly motivated student, and generally makes it easy to do so. For Aero, adding ‘just 2 more’ classes in order to get a minor sounds great, until you realise that these 2 classes are at the 300/400 level, so there are probably prereqs for taking those in the first place. Finding just 2 that you can actually take, takes some advanced planning. For some, it will not be as easy as it sounds on paper. My S balked (and he only needs 1 more class at this point!). He has 2 more years to contemplate this dangling carrot… </p>

<p>@aeromom - Agree that it takes planning which is why I was hoping others would chime in and make suggestions.</p>

<p>DegreeWorks “What If” does a fantastic job of outlining the courses. </p>

<p>Ds has been playing around with degree works. It is a great tool for considering different options.</p>

<p>My ChemE son was able to easily have minors in Chemistry, Biology and Math. Since he was premed, he had to take the pre-reqs anyway.</p>

<p>Also, if you are coming in with lots of AP credits, it also makes things easier. </p>

<p>Can you use Degreeworks if you are not admitted yet or is it only for students? </p>

<p>@MomMe32 - DegreeWorks is only for admitted students. The students do not need to be enrolled yet, just admitted and likely deposit paid.</p>

<p>Thanks Longhaul!</p>