Effect of College on Socioeconomic Expectations

Neither example does what you claim. Saying wealthy kids are overrepresented compared to the general population or lower income kids are underrepresented is a way of saying Harvard’s current SES distribution is not a good reflection of the US population. It is not the same as saying Harvard has, should have, or will have a SES distribution that is a good reflection of the US population.

1 Like

This distribution curve resembles a hyperbola

I am plenty more bothered by our military having a SES distribution that is clustered at the bottom than I am about Harvard’s freshman class.

There are bigger things to worry about if you are trying to reduce inequality in our society. Wasn’t it Victor Hugo who observed that the rich and the poor are equally able to sleep under a bridge? But somehow it’s only the poor?

7 Likes

Is it? https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2020/04/27/studies-tackle-who-joins-the-military-and-why-but-their-findings-arent-what-many-assume/ suggests that the family SES background of those entering US military service is similar to the overall US population (although that may seem like “low SES” compared to the demographics of this forum).

1 Like

Yes, the income distribution among military recruits seems reasonably close to the overall US population, as pictured below. With random selection, 20% of recruits would come from each of the 5 income quintiles. Instead of exactly 20%, the range was 17% to 22%. However, I’d expect military recruits and parents of military recruits are severely underrepresented among members of this forum, and generally among those targeting Ivy+ type colleges.

2 Likes

Note that the image appears to be from https://www.cfr.org/backgrounder/demographics-us-military , which specifies that this distribution of income level of census tract of origin is for enlisted recruits.

The distribution of income level of census tract of origin may differ for officer recruits (e.g. service academy students, ROTC students). Officers probably make up about a fifth of US military personnel.

1 Like

Can anyone on this thread just answer the original poster’s question rather than debating the barbell and whatever other statistics have been beaten to death in this thread?

Basically the question is, ‘has your child thrived or had a difficult time at a school where there are a LOT of wealthy kids and your kid is not one of them?” I don’t know why we need to debate as nauseum why Harvard has 30% in the top income level or 35%. Who cares? It’s not even relative to the question the OP asked. And remember these socio economic differences are not limited to only the “top” 30 schools.

14 Likes

So, even if Harvard’s share of lower income kids reached, let’s say, 40% (or roughly 10 percentage points more than its most current Freshmen Class Study), you would still argue that lower income students at Harvard are underrepresented. Isn’t that correct?

Harvard’s income distribution has been explained to you many times including why, how, and the degree to which lower income kids are underrepresented. I will respect MAmom111 and will not continue to repeat in this thread. If you want to talk more about Harvard’s income distribution, feel free to start a new thread, and I’ll answer the question above there.

Yeah Beave, my mom’s calling me, too. See ya tomorrow (apologies in advance for old t.v. reference) :grinning:

1 Like

I wonder what the process is for accessing those resources? If the student has to reach out on their own, I wonder if they actually do - or if they would feel shame in having to do so? How does the university market those resources to the affected students? I think it’s great that they have them, but I’m curious as to how students feel having to accept “charity”.

The student that I work with qualifies for all kinds of freebies associated with the college application process but it’s a struggle to get them to take advantage - I think because of the stigma that goes along with it.

4 Likes

The kids at Wesleyan are not shy about asking. The president of the college recently gave a backgrounder on the FA situation. Wesleyan is need-aware and despite pressures to resume need-blind status, it’s not likely to do so before a major capital campaign. Thanks to a lot of investing and gift-giving success, however, funding has increased by 58% over the last ten years. But with rising assistance come rising expectations. The President gave the example of a recent meeting with three FGLI student representatives. One of their issues was the ability to fly home during major holidays. Some of these kids’ families are a full continent away from Middletown (CT). The President put it this way, “I could give you the money to go, but one of you would not be able to come back.” Demand dropped.

As a FGLI student back in the day attending a top 10 LAC and HYPSM for undergrad and grad, respectively, I was never afraid to ask for additional financial help. But I do think it comes down to personality. Reminiscing with friends at one of them recently, we realized only some of us were aware of the generosity of the school beyond traditional financial aid. They paid for spring break trips, interview clothes, etc. You only needed to ask.

At my LAC, where most were full pay, wealth was not on display. No cars were allowed on campus and no one was otherwise flashy. At the time, I figured students were well off if their parents could afford to send weekly or monthly care packages. Grad school was similar for the most part, though the billionaire kids stood out.

My DD has grown up around some very wealthy families and had some extremely wealthy kids in her grad school program. She is the same down to earth non-materialistic young woman I raised. I stressed not keeping up with the Joneses when she was growing up.

4 Likes

It is my impression that low-income students at my child’s ivy are not shy about asking either. The university has a dedicated center housed in a central campus location that provides financial, academic, and social support to first-generation and/or low-income students. Funding is available for everything from passports to meals during breaks to additional grant funding for study abroad. Students only need ask.

1 Like

I think kids that are less prone to peer pressure (as would be evident from middle school or high school) will be less likely to change their spending habits etc on seeing other people who are in a different social strata, than kids that are more prone to peer pressure.

4 Likes

I think this is exactly the crux of the matter.

And I agree with @blossom – wealthy schools have tremendous resources. To give another example, greek life is huge at Washington and Lee. The school provides financial aid for greek dues, so theoretically anyone can go greek if they want, without money being a bar. I know there’s a huge range of family wealth in my son’s fraternity and it seems to be a nonissue. My son knows when he moves off campus he will inherit his grandmother’s ancient subaru, and he considers himself extremely lucky (as he is!). The fact that a few kids drive new luxury cars is irrelevant to him.

(Yes, i realize an ancient Subaru is very privileged!)

What’s wrong with a Subaru? :-). When the kids are home, I let them borrow my Subaru temporarily. And I consider that a privilege I’ve granted them. They can buy their own car.

1 Like

Its the age of the car :slight_smile:
And if grandma hadn’t stopped driving, he wouldn’t get a car, i definitely don’t believe in gifting cars to kids. My other 2 kids didn’t get one!

I bought a $300 car for the first time in grad school. A friend bought a $70 used car in the early 90s. It’s all good.

1 Like

Would you be saying that just because the car is a BRAT does not mean that the student is one?

3 Likes