Elementary Education at Purdue

<p>Daughter visited Purdue this past spring and really loved the school. She is going into senior year and is interested in studying elem. education and I wondered if anyone has information on the program. I know Purdue is known for Engineering, Math and Sciences, so any info. about elem. education would be appreciated.</p>

<p>I had a few friends in that program. It’s very easy at least by my standards. Most of the stuff you learn is stuff I knew by the time I was a freshman in high school (I’m not being cocky so please don’t take this the wrong way). But yeah, the work and homework they had was very very easy that it shouldn’t be considered college level. But then again, as I’m sure you’re aware, when you come out you won’t be making the big bucks that engineers make so if your daughter is fine with that and loves what she’s going to be doing, then all the power to her b/c we need good teachers for the young children.</p>

<p>Septembermom, you can find more information here: [Office</a> of Office of Advising & Recruiting - College of Education](<a href=“http://www.education.purdue.edu/advising/current_st/programs_of_study.html#Elementary%20Education]Office”>http://www.education.purdue.edu/advising/current_st/programs_of_study.html#Elementary%20Education)</p>

<p>That being said, although some of the material the students learn might be easy (they’ll be teaching to elementary school kids, so obviously it’ll be easy), but I’m sure there’s more to it and nowadays elementary school teachers need to understand the psychology of students, be aware of disabilities and be able to use technology for pedagogy. On top of it, they’ll probably have to hone their teaching skills. Understanding that 10/2=5 is easy, trying to explain it to 6 year-olds is a whole different ballgame.</p>

<p>Thank you both for your replies. Daughter likes the idea (as well as tuition paying parents) of a 4 year program with a BS versus a 5 year program. Indiana is in the interstate agreement with many other states, so her certification from Indiana is accepted by many other states. I checked out the course requirements which is very similar to most schools with a 4 year elem. degree. Knowing that Purdue is more geared to engineering, math, sciences we were more looking for input about student satisfaction with the education program, etc.</p>