Emerging Scholars Program?

<p>My DD participated in the Emerging Scholar program 2 years ago.</p>

<p>Fall semester really focused on seminars that meet at night. They were led by the honors staff and covered a wide array of info pertaining to research.</p>

<p>A student is matched with a professor or a research project, so this takes some time during the fall semster. After the “match” the student / professor then make a plan for research etc. DD had 3 hours in the Fall and 2 in Spring of her freshman year. The hour commitment is flexible.</p>

<p>DDs match ending up having to take a pretty big chunk of time off due to a health reason, but DD still went and observed her project and presented what they had done.</p>

<p>(Her project was in Autism). So she was observing behaviors etc.</p>

<p>It was a great experience as D had not done any research like this at high school. They present the same time as many other groups in the spring. I would highly suggest any student would benefit from just the process!</p>

<p>Thank you, omama!</p>

<p>Is this for credit? Three credits for fall would put DS at 19 – a tad much, methinks!</p>

<p>I believe it’s a one-credit course, but I’m not positive. I’m already at 18 credits, so I’m also worrying about that factor…</p>

<p>Yes I believe my DD did rework her schedule a bit. But she had already been tweeking it after Bama Bound.</p>

<p>I didn’t remember at first but she did also get a a bit of $$. I will try to look up this info!</p>

<p>DS is already psyched about this. I hope he qualifies! Thanks, y’all, for all this great info.</p>

<p>crazyinalabama11,</p>

<p>My son got an email from the CBH program advising the CBH students to ignore the email and that the email shouldn’t have been sent to the CBH students.</p>

<p>randomparent,</p>

<p>I saw that email too, after I’d already applied to ES. The tone of the email was that CBH is more intense (as it’s a three-year program) but it didn’t clarify whether we are even allowed to do both… I must admit, I’m intrigued by the fact that ES actually offers a scholarship (unlike CBH) and it would offer a headstart on research projects that I think could carry over into CBH.</p>

<p>I believe that there are several reasons the Emerging Scholars Program is not intended for the CBH students:
a.) CBH wants their students to learn from the “Ground Up” and to be<br>
“trained” in a certain mode.
b.) CBH students will all do research and have an opportunity to do so
c.) CBH is a minor and students get credit for their classes and research
d.) I believe that the emerging Scholars Program is an opportunity for those students who do not get accepted into CBH</p>

<p>Regina…</p>

<p>Is one of your credits for AA or OA?</p>

<p>what is your schedule for fall?</p>

<p>What is your major?</p>

<p>d.) I believe that the emerging Scholars Program is an opportunity for those students who do not get accepted into CBH</p>

<p>And for those who didn’t apply. :slight_smile: We didn’t even know about CBH until it was too late. DS probably wouldn’t have applied anyway…he was “interviewed out” after a bad experience at Belmont Abbey College.</p>

<p>crazyinalabama11,</p>

<p>I agree that the email doesn’t expressly say that CBH students are disqualified from the Emerging Scholars program. FWIW, my son spoke with Ms. Batson yesterday and she again told him that as a CBH student he should ignore the email on Emerging Scholars.</p>

<p>I also agree the the Emerging Scholars program is attractive because it gets students started right away on working with a Prof. doing research , it offers a scholarship, and it is only a one year program. I think that for a lot of students, the Emerging Scholars program may be a better option than CBH. Another great offering from UA.</p>

<p>^^^That is also what I think, the Emerging Scholars Program is targeting other kids than those in CBH. UA is offering other opportunities to students not in CBH -which is great.</p>

<p>If one doesn’t do CBH or Emerging Scholars, how would one go about doing research with a prof? Are there other opportunities beyond these programs?</p>

<p>^My understanding is that research opportunities can be found by simply contacting a Prof. at UA who is doing research that interests the student and asking the Prof. if the student can help with the research. It may take contacting more than one Prof. and it might not happen the first semester or the first year, but students don’t have to be part of the Emerging Scholars or CBH to get research.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Yes, one is for AA.</p>

<p>I’m taking EC 110, MATH 115, ENG 200-something, GY 102, FR 201, and UH something or other (a one-credit seminar).</p>

<p>Right now, my goal is to double major in economics and international studies, but that could easily change.</p>

<p>I know this may be too many credits for first semester, but math is the same course I took senior year, French I’m taking at below the level I placed into, and English is supposedly an easy teacher and uses the same anthology of literature that my sophomore year English class used.</p>

<p>I have to say, if I had known I would be invited to ES I may not have accepted a spot in CBH. Because it is a minor, it sort of limits some of my other academic pursuits and it’s a lot more work, and I’m not really terribly interested in computer programming… I thought it was the only serious undergraduate research program though.</p>

<p>crazyinalabama – why not email your adviser (if you know who he/she is) or Dr. Sharpe about this? DS feels the same way – not interested in programming – which is one reason why we weren’t bothered about missing the CBH deadline. </p>

<p>Maybe you can arrange to switch from CBH to ES? I doubt it’s too late.</p>

<p>It would also (perhaps?) free up a CBH spot for someone who is more programming-oriented?</p>

<p>Regina: my D took 18 credits her 1st semester, including the 1 credit AA class and she was fine. YMMV of course, but if you’re coming out of a rigorous HS schedule having 17 hours of class/week plus homework doesn’t seem that bad. It certainly wasn’t like when she’d be in class all day & then have AP homework until 1am.</p>

<p>Randomparent is correct. In our case, son applied late to UA, after the CBH selections had been made, and was offered the possibility of emerging scholars. However, as a first semester freshman, he wanted to leave himself time to adjust to college: academically, socially, and culturally, so he declined ES. </p>

<p>During the second semester, he found himself with more time on his hands and approached one of his Engineering professors with the possility of getting on board with a research project. The professor was very helpful, explained his research projects, asked about his interest, and found something for him to do. Son just wanted the experience and was surprised when he was offered a small stipend as well. </p>

<p>I cannot emphasize enough how positive son’s (and ours as well, as parents) experience has been at Alabama. The faculty and the administration are sincere in their efforts to accomodate you, and you almost always get the feeling that they have your best interests at heart.</p>

<p>In my opinion Ms Batson’s email was quite clear. She said the email was sent to CBH kids mistakenly, and that they should not have received it, and that they should ignore it. Seems pretty clear to me. :slight_smile: Also, relative to “programming” comments, CBH has not been presented as a programming program, however, programming is one tool used in research across all academic disciplines. Not everyone is going to be a programmer, but knowing some programming is means to an end in research. Stay in CBH and go into it with an open mind. Just my 2 cents.</p>