Emerging Scholars Program?

<p>@sophocles: I take it your son is a STEM major? I think first semester for STEM majors is super-rigorous. For liberal arts majors (like my son), first semester may not be quite so daunting. (Yes, liberal arts is squishier than STEM…what can I tell ya? ;))</p>

<p>My son is in much the same boat as Regina: Some of his first-semester work will be a rehash of stuff he’s already learned (in home school, in our case), so maybe ES won’t put him totally over the top (we hope!).</p>

<p>Well, Mrs. Batson sent another email… if you’re in CBH you’re automatically rejected from ES. Lame.</p>

<p>As for emailing my advisor… I did about a week ago for something unrelated and have yet to receive any acknowledgment. I’m not putting too many eggs in that basket.</p>

<p>^ Oh well!! As others have said, you’ll probably thrive in CBH. It’s a great honor, too!</p>

<p>Who is your adviser, BTW? DS doesn’t even know yet who his adviser is. (Where does it say? At DegreeWorks?)</p>

<p>Your adviser may be on vacation at the moment. I wouldn’t give up on him/her!</p>

<p>My knowledge of ES was that it was something that Dr. Sharpe (back when he was the head of ES) offered to students who didn’t get in/weren’t suited for CBHP. As some have mentioned, ES might be better for some students than CBHP, though I will say that if you were accepted into CBHP, chances are that Dr. Sharpe, Mrs. Batson, and others think that you do well in the program. While it doesn’t always happen, CBHP wants those that will complete the program as it can’t get replacement students into the program after the first semester starts. If you are having doubts about being in CBHP, call Mrs. Batson now and discuss your concerns with her. There is a chance that ES may be the better option for you and that you can broker an admission into ES in return for your spot in CBHP. That said, I can assure you that Dr. Sharpe wasn’t rolling dice or flipping coins to determine who would be admitted into CBHP and that it took him a lot of time to decide whom to admit into the program.</p>

<p>Speaking as a person who was not admitted into CBHP, but who has spent many hours working and collaborating with its advisors and participants, I can tell you that I can definitely see the advantages to being in CBHP as well as many of the disadvantages. CBHP is an excellent program and gets you fully in the door concerning opportunities at the Honors College. You may not enjoy 100% of the CBHP “experience,” but that is to be expected and somewhat encouraged. It’s good to step outside of ones comfort zone every now and then.</p>

<p>I think we all know that admission to CBHP is super competitive, but does anyone know how difficult it is to get into the Emerging Scholars program? Is it stats based?</p>

<p>LadyD,</p>

<p>In DegreeWorks your advisor is listed in the chart that has your classification, CWID, honors programs, etc. It’s also in one of the books that we got at Bama Bound (I’ve apparently lost that, but it had a list of all the advisors by major).</p>

<p>^ Thanks so much!</p>

<p>@beth’s mom, I was wondering the same thing. Anyone know?</p>

<p>I’m not sure about selection process…</p>

<p>DD really enjoyed the work and first opportunity into research at UA it is a win win in my book. </p>

<p>I really think UA does a wonderful job of matching students with research opportunies as well as jobs in the students field of interest. Many of my Ds friends is doing some type of research or internship this year. Many on campus, some at home or elsewhere!</p>

<p>Lady D and Beth’smom:
Don’t know the specifics on if the Emerging Scholars is stats driven for sure but by the number of Fellows who were invited to ES/are asking questions about the details of being involved in ES on the Fellows FB page I think it is safe to gather that the students who received invites for ES are high stats kids from within the Honors College, Fellows program who did not apply to CBHP because they only applied to Fellows, or are those who may have missed the CBHP application deadline and/or those who didn’t make it into CBHP or decided CBHP wasn’t the right fit for them but are high stats kids as other posters have mentioned.</p>

<p>Thanks, trvlbug!</p>

<p>While I think this program has tremendous merits, I also believe that you could accomplish the same thing by setting up your own relationship directly with a professor. In this manner, you have a lot more control over your professor match. I see pros and cons to being blindly matched with a prof and think the ideal match comes from a mutual selection process. However, the more structured ES approach certainly has benefits and it really comes down to an individual preference.</p>

<p>True…but for an incoming frosh, to have research opps right away, is very good. It’s hard for an incoming frosh to arrange research opps all by himself.</p>

<p>I think another benefit of the ES program is that it encourages Profs. to provide research positions to incoming freshmen, just as the CBH program encourages Profs. to provide research positions to undergrads.</p>

<p>So, thanks to this thread I asked DS if he had heard of the Emerging Scholars program and yes he has. As a matter of fact, he not only has an invitation to participate in this program but the preferred application deadline is, of course, August 5th!<br>
Son (and I) are at the point of analysis paralysis with the wealth of phenomenal opportunities in front of him at UA! He plans to major in Accounting. Would ES program be beneficial to a business major? The opportunity to establish a faculty mentor early on as a freshman seems invaluable. I know there has been mention that one can do this on his/her own but I think this would leapfrog DS to establish mentor relationships earlier than he would have done on his own.
In the meantime, DS echoes what Sophocles son wanted " that as a first semester freshman, he wanted to leave himself time to adjust to college: academically, socially, and culturally." He will be a freshman with sophomore standing (39 hrs) and is scheduled for 18 hours but will be dropping a science class leaving him with 14 hours (EN215, EC111, GN201, CS102, GBA145, UH120 and AA)
He has also been invited to participate in the University Scholars Program (MSF) but is very tentative about that. He dropped MA 126 soon after BB even though he did well in Calc AB in HS (A+ and 5 on AP exam). He is in the UHP, IHP, will participate in AA. plans to double major (German and/or English), will study abroad.
Is ES program doable/beneficial as a Business major with 14 hours? High GPA is very important for Accounting majors and that is also his concern.<br>
DS, DH and I still are in disbelief of all that UA has to offer!! He can’t wait for move-in!</p>

<p>*Son (and I) are at the point of analysis paralysis with the wealth of phenomenal opportunities in front of him at UA! *</p>

<p>I can totally relate to this!!! LOL!</p>

<p>I am led to believe that this is a “good” problem! :)</p>

<p>Son was not in ES but sought a research opportunity by approaching one of his professors in Mech. Engr. during the second semester. Of course this depends on both the prof. and the student, but the time commitment was quite manageable and he worked his hours around his classes and studies. They met once a week for a progress report. He was fortunate to have found someone willing to help a kid get started in research and was surprised to have gotten paid as well. </p>

<p>Have him talk to his adviser and look at the faculty page in his department to see the gamut of research being done and to discern what looks interesting to him.</p>

<p>I think the program would be both doable and beneficial. As I mentioned before alot of the first semester is setting up a match and meeting with the other emerging scholars and the honors staff. Not real time consuming but excellent networking!</p>

<p>University Scholars doesn’t start until junior/senior year, so there is no required time commitment for that. From what you’ve explained, I would recommend that your son participate in Emerging Scholars.</p>