Engineering chances w/o AP Calc BC?

I am currently a senior interested in engineering in college. At my school, in order to be able to take BC you have to have doubled up in math your freshman year, as AB is a prerequisite for BC. I took a Project Lead the Way Engineering class instead, so now I have to take AB. Will the fact that I won’t take AP Calc BC affect my chances at all?

AB is plenty. My D’s Freshman roommate, admittedly an outlier, hadn’t completed Pre-Calc. She had to take a prep class intended for non-Engineering students first semester before taking the first-year Engineering Calc 1 class second semester and then catch up over the summer.

But she was admitted with just Algebra 2.

I suppose the proper answer is that every data point matters, so BC may be make a difference if you were on the very borderline of admission. But AB will put you fully in the mainstream of admitted students and any difference in extremely small.

If you’re admitted, I would recommend not placing out of Calc 1. My D, and several HS classmates and new freshman friends, found college Calc 1 challenging even having taken Calc BC (though with a B and a 3 on the AP)

FYIW, perhaps to help future applicants, my D21 was admitted to Purdue Engineering EA and she’s currently taking AP Calc AB.

My son went into engineering with AP Calc AB no problem. FYI, he aced that class, got a 4 on the exam, ended up talking Calc II his first semester at UMD and got an A-. Just adding more data points for you.

Thanks, I appreciate the reply.
I was accepted into FYE, so I guess I didn’t have to stress so much :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Many times in life we make things bigger than they really are. I know I have stressed over things that looking back were no big deal.

Congratulations on your acceptance. I’m sure you’ll do great.