Engineering Co-ops

Well… depending on the school, it might be complicated to do a co-op. For example we have been looking at some of the UCs policies and in order to do a co-op during the school year, you technically need to withdraw and apply for readmission. Here’s an explanation from UCB Bioengineering department: Co-Op Internships

Most other engineering schools that we are considering at least have some way to do a co-op without withdrawing from the university. (!!)

But schools definitely vary a LOT in their support of co-ops. Some have much better support than others.

4 Likes

I think Louisiville builds co-ops into their engineering program, and I know Drexel does.

1 Like

Yes, co-op is mandatory for Louisville engineering and has been for a long time. It’s also mandatory at RIT. Those are big selling points for my kid, who has applied to both schools. He wants to do co-op/intern and HAS to do co-op/intern as many years as possible (he needs the $). I know he can do it at any school, but it’s nice when the path is well-trod.

I do think that, for OP, the in-state Arizona options sound great regardless of how many students do co-op.

2 Likes

They certainly don’t make it easy. It does say if you are in good standing you can be guaranteed re-admission. Georgia Tech does require reapplication if you take more than two semesters off, including summer. From what I understand, this reapplication is essentially a formality but can be avoided if you register your internship or co-op with the school. I’m surprised they force you so withdraw and reapply even if guaranteed.

1 Like

At coop colleges, like Northeastern and Drexel, a coop period is never more than 6 months. It is never a year.

2 Likes

Same at Purdue.

1 Like

At Purdue are the co-ops built into the curriculum or does the student take a semester off during the co-op?

Co-ops are full time at Purdue, so no classes those semester. It’s very seamless to go back and forth between work and school, both for course sequencing and housing.

2 Likes

I think you can look at most any school and find out info about how they run co op, etc.

This is my son’s for example.

I’m sure you can find similar info for the three you are down to.

Requirements - Engineering Career Development Center (ua.edu)

At coop schools a student does not “take a semester off”. Everyone is divided into two cohorts. They alternate class semester with coop semesters. Course sequences are mapped out based on this.

1 Like

Here is an example of the differences between a coop and an internship, A Northeastern student reported this on Reddit. He was an accounting major. All accounting coops are in the January to June cycle. He got a coop at a Big 4 accounting firm. He worked 60+ hour weeks and was paid overtime. By May he was exhausted. The workload fell off precipitously. Then the summer interns arrived. There were weekly pizza parties, team outings to Red Sox games etc. and a very laid-back environment. When he returned to campus in July, he switched his major to finance realizing that he did not want a career in such a seasonal business. The summer interns would have no idea what life as a CPA was like.

1 Like

I think what I’m struggling with is you mention co-op schools like it’s a binary thing. I’m aware of Kettering as an example that is clearly a co-op school under that definition, and it sounds like Purdue and Northeastern. But then it appears to me that the non co-op schools can still work with co-ops, it may just be more of a pain because the curriculum and class sequencing wouldn’t be built around the co-ops at a non co-op school.

Given the choice of school, why a co op vs. a summer internship? I’ve heard of many scenarios of coops being disaster and many good - likely similar to an internship.

As it is, you have three choices of schools to pick from - and none are co op centric. But all will allow you to do a co op.

It may be a co op is easier to obtain than an internship - that I don’t know.

Technically Purdue is still a possibility for us as our son was deferred from an EA decision to RD, but we consider that unlikely at this point so we’ve been more focused on the three schools that are definite options. And also I just like being educated on this and was confused by the simple labeling of “co-op” schools when it seems more complex to me than that yes/no labeling when it comes to working with co-ops.

Marketing…and process.

1 Like

D’s experience and her friends, were that co-ops weren’t necessary easier to obtain, but you could get them earlier. Most co-op companies start hiring students in their freshman year, whereas most summer internship companies won’t even talk to students until after sophomore or even junior year. That gives kids a head start with work experience.

My D will graduate with a full 3 term co-op, three additional summer internships, and research. It really helped her zero in on what she wanted to do career wise and gave her a tremendous amount of experience for someone her age.

OP - Purdue also offers a 5 term co-op with one company. My D briefly considered that but she wanted the ability to intern somewhere different.

Purdue has their co-op sample schedules on their website: Undergraduate Co-op - Office of Professional Practice - Purdue University

6 Likes

It seems like my son’s school is pushing them - harder to find kids willing to do.

Could she, if she wanted, have co op’d at multiple companies?

In other words - what if the company or industry weren’t a good fit - or is a co op student (at Purdue) locked into one firm - if they decide to stick it out in the program?

At Northeastern most students do two 6-month coops in four years, some choose to do three coops in five years. There is no obligation to do all coops with one company and students are urged not to do it in order to obtain a broader exposure to their field.

It’s generally frowned upon to not honor your co-op contract (and there is a contract) however, I know of two Purdue students personally who did make a change. We also know that the university advocated for a student when their company tried to change the contract terms from their side, and was going to full support the student in finding a different company.

For the most part, the companies and programs are well vetted at Purdue and students need to report back to the university about their experience, projects, salary data, etc…

1 Like

I guess that would be my hesitation.

Maybe I started at one and wanted to try a different industry or process.

My son did two internships - same company - one in the plant and one outside. But I imagine co ops can be done that way.

How many do you hear (at Purdue) of being hired full time vs. just relatively cheap, contract labor?

My son refused co - op - zero interest.

I imagine there are kids on both sides but I think to OPs point, at certain schools it’s all.

What % of a school that offers, but doesn’t require, like Purdue take them - do they publish and do you know off the top of your head? If not i’ll look up.