Engineering Internship opportunities?

Yes, Cummings Research Park in Huntsville contains almost every major aerospace company. However, my experience has been that the vast majority of internship and entry level positions there are in software. Lockheed, Boeing, and others might be there, but the intern/entry job listings at that location tend to be for software engineering and programming.

My son is a senior in electrical. He interned after soph year with a smaller aero/defense contractor in NY, working on a device that identifies aircraft as friend or foe. After junior year, he interned with Textron, a major defense contractor, at their Maryland facility. He worked on antenna and communications for drones and unmanned systems. They also hired aero and mechanical interns for those and other projects. His roommate for the summer was an aero eng from Univ of Colorado. They were paid a salary plus housing stipend.

He has recently interviewed for the engineering leadership programs at Textron, Lockheed, and BAE Systems, waiting to hear if he is a finalist. He found everything on his own, no help from UA. With the internet these days, it’s pretty easy. Check listings on indeed, at engineerjobs dot com, and at each employer’s own website. BTW, two of his aero friends at UA have interned and accepted permanent jobs at Honeywell in AZ and Raytheon in CA. Companies do hire UA engineers. You just have to make yourself the best candidate you can be, and do the job hunt yourself.

To answer @gertyberty - the aerospace UG program at UA, and the eng dept at UA is so much larger than UAH - more course offerings for UG. Also with the larger pool of students (and more students from diverse US locations) I think it provides a bigger view and a better UG experience.

However UAH does have a fair number of graduate and PhD degree seekers. UAH has 8 ABET accredited eng areas and 70 faculty. Just look at their web site to see all the graduate and PhD programs they have in their engineering areas.

UAH actually started so it could offer advanced courses for NASA and the government employees - Werhner von Braun begged at the State Legislature, and they first formed a satellite campus (satellite to UA) before UAH became its own college/university - and I believe some of the first degrees awarded were graduate degrees.

I also think having different professors for graduate education is good - and the work env’t for aerospace engineering is in Huntsville, not Tuscaloosa.

I do know engineers, physicists, etc that have received all three degrees from a large engineering program like TAMU. Some may have UG at one large institution and move on to another for their other advanced degrees. If a student has a broader base as an UG, then narrow their focus on graduate program.

I know several NASA people that have gotten all their degrees (some through PhD) before coming to the NASA in Huntsville (Marshall Space Flight Center), while some received their advanced degrees at UAH through a NASA supported program. I know many professionals that take advanced courses at UAH to advance their careers.

However I do know some local high stat students that already have jobs locally and are comfortable and confident UG students at UAH. My two students both could have attended UAH for their degrees (and received scholarship $$), but for them the other opportunities at their colleges and the strength of the UG program IMHO was better (one is finishing at UAB in nursing, and the other is eng at UA).

Huntsville is a mid-sized city that is heavy-weight with engineering opportunities.

And @chardo is right about looking for own intern and even co-op opportunities, esp if there is a rich work env’t where parents/relatives/friends live. I also know UA Co-op office will coordinate with companies that have a co-op program.

My DD has had an internship in civil eng arranged via direct company contact, and is being considered for one next summer that is via direct company contact. If she gets the position, it may be that she will coordinate it some through UA, esp if there is an opportunity for work project credit. She might even be able to take an evening summer course at UAH or an on-line course through UA.

UA is on the radar for engineering and tech companies. UAH is on the radar.

Actually, even though UAH is substantially smaller than UA at 7800 students vs 37,000, their undergrad aero/mech has a greater number of course offerings with 43 UAH vs 35 UA. Engineering makes up 26% of UAH vs 15% at UA. There are more aero undergrad degrees awarded at UAH than at UA.

The other metrics you sited, ie overall university size, geographic diversity, are just apples and oranges–a matter of individual preference.

My daughter prefers a smaller school. UAH would fit her better than UA as she is not the Rah, Rah type.

^ :wink:
See this site for bums-on-seats data: http://profiles.asee.org/
Once you choose a school, in the left-hand column you can click on ‘enrollments by class’ or ‘degrees awarded by program’ for more info.

If someone is very academic ambitious, I would suggest going to UA first. Have broad experiences which a big campus can offer. Honors College and other experiences can make the big school feel smaller. However if the student truly doesn’t feel the ‘vibe’ at UA but feels it at UAH, go for it.

Internship, Co-op, can help land the job after graduation. And if one works in Huntsville, could continue attending UAH. Or could continue as a Graduate Student with assistant-ship and in time land a local aerospace job.

Just announced - GE Aviations is investing $200 million in side by side materials factories to service jet engines and land-based gas turbines. This is right behind the UAH announcement of the wind tunnel. The high tech material factory will employ 300 and should begin hiring later next year. One of the plants will produce silicon carbide ceramic fiber, making it the first operation of its kind in the US. The only other factory in the world that specializes in large-scale industrial silicon carbide ceramic fiber is an NGS Advanced Fibers plant in Japan. GE’s other facility will use the locally made ceramic fiber to produce ceramic matrix composite tape needed to assemble certain aircraft components.

Underdog Northrop-Grumman awarded “B-3” bomber contract over Boeing-Lockheed yesterday.
“Watch this space…” as they say…no pun intended!
https://www.aei.org/publication/buying-the-bomber-now-comes-the-hard-part/
http://www.bizjournals.com/washington/blog/fedbiz_daily/2015/10/air-force-awards-northrop-grumman-with-much.html

While each aero company has its fingers in many different contracts and businesses, across many different disciplines of engineering, students should check carefully where their interests lie versus where these companies offer jobs. Aero jobs in space/military are usually in different parts of the country to jobs in commercial aircraft, just as an example. (Just like ChemE jobs in oil/gas may be in different parts of the country to ChemE jobs in foods.)