Enroll at Alabama and Shelton State simultaneously?

My daughter attended Univ. of Alabama last year. She is interested in taking 6 hours at Shelton State and 6 hours at Alabama this fall. Has anybody done this? Are there any rules or issues that arise when attending both simultaneously?

My d suggested doing that one summer. It was going to be very expensive - not the fees and tuition at Shelton State, but the additional fees and tuition at Alabama. Not to mention extra gas and time spent driving to SSCC. We told her NO.

It can be very expensive. Part time at each college. FA can only be obtained at one school, and with only 6 hours at each, that may not be enough at either school to qualify.

Were you planning on paying for all costs at each school yourself?

BTW…12 hours a semester is not enough to graduate in 4 years. Is that ok with you? Many are shocked to find out that they have to go an expensive 5th year because they weren’t taking at least 30 credits a year.

Please fill me on why someone would want/need to be at two schools simultaneously? I have never heard of this!

In our D’s case, it was for summer and she wanted to take a required science course at SSCC because it was supposedly easier and take a course or two at UA in her major.

The reason is because of a change in major, she has two courses that she must take this fall and complete with a “C” or better. If that were not to happen, she would be stuck (lacking prereq’s) and unable to take any courses that count towards her major. One class she needs is Statistics. The reason she wants to take it at SSCC is the way math is taught at UA. Tests are taken on a computer - they are fill-in-the-blank with no partial credit given. It’s very tough if you are not a math wiz. She already tried Calculus at UA this past spring, had to drop, and took it this summer at a Community College. The other course at SSCC will be easier also, but the real concern was math. And yes, it’s much more expensive to go to two different schools. Scholarships or financial aid are not part of the picture. I’m fully aware of the degree requirements. Until she gets her prerequisites for Business School, she really can’t take anything else this fall that counts towards her degree.